Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

In order to spare my main Xenon bulbs during daytime, I was thinking about the idea of replacing the fog lights with suitable LED bulbs or assembly.

Swap either bulbs or the entire light modules, disable fog lights via VCDS and use the existing cabling for supplying switched voltage to the LED DRL bulbs.

What do you think?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've thought about doing the same (and for the same reason as well), but ultimately decided that the fogs are mounted far too low on the Touareg to be much benefit as DRLs.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I agree. I think fog light location and fog lights in general are useless. DRL in vent is a better location. But if people want LED fogs they make them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the exactly same idea. And I did this on my Rabbit. It did not come with fog light. I bought the aftermarket fog light housing. Bought a LED H1 bulb(low wattage, around 3W, not much heat generated), wire the power wire to the fuse panel where 12V cigarette lighter socket fuse is, use "add-a-fuse" wire. Working perfect.
Now for the Touareg(mine is 08 ), first problem is disable the fog light. There is a checkbox in VCDS about fog light. I assume uncheck it will disable the fog light. But is there any side effect(bulb burn out warning)? Or is there anything else have to be done to disable the fog light?
Second problem, the wiring. I assume the power wire for fog light is connect to
CECM(Central Electronics Control Module), I know the Rabbit has one. In the perfect world, all we need to do will be take the pin out then patch it to a switch power(12V cigarette lighter socket power line).
Any thought?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a checkbox in VCDS about fog light. I assume uncheck it will disable the fog light. But is there any side effect(bulb burn out warning)? Or is there anything else have to be done to disable the fog light?
I would assume that disabling the fog lights in VCDS would also disable the bulb monitoring for fog lights. Probably they do this same configuration on the factory (with their own programmers/testers, of course) depending on whether the vehicle was supposed to be equipped with fog lights or not - otherwise it wouldn't make any sense... But after all, this is pure speculation.

However, I don't know what would happen if you decided to activate the fog lights using the light switch while they are disabled... Perhaps nothing, or perhaps some mysterious fault code in the fault scan logs... :-k

Second problem, the wiring. I assume the power wire for fog light is connect to
CECM(Central Electronics Control Module), I know the Rabbit has one. In the perfect world, all we need to do will be take the pin out then patch it to a switch power(12V cigarette lighter socket power line).
Any thought?
According to the Touareg wiring diagram, J519 Onboard supply control unit fitting location seems to be: "On left under dash panel, near centre console". I'm wondering how many dash panel parts one has to remove in order to get access to this module...

There are two wires going to the fog light bulbs from this control module.

Left bulb: white/yellow wire from 6-pin white connector, right bulb: black wire from 6-pin brown connector.

So if one would disable the fog lights via VCDS, then the wires would probably be free for supplying clean switched +12V to suitable LED modules.

Any utilization of this info with one's own risk, goes without saying... ;)

Now, the biggest problem seems to be finding such EU type-approved DRL LED modules that would be pretty much drop-in replacements for the Touareg fog light assemblies!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would assume that disabling the fog lights in VCDS would also disable the bulb monitoring for fog lights. Probably they do this same configuration on the factory (with their own programmers/testers, of course) depending on whether the vehicle was supposed to be equipped with fog lights or not - otherwise it wouldn't make any sense... But after all, this is pure speculation.

However, I don't know what would happen if you decided to activate the fog lights using the light switch while they are disabled... Perhaps nothing, or perhaps some mysterious fault code in the fault scan logs... :-k

According to the Touareg wiring diagram, J519 Onboard supply control unit fitting location seems to be: "On left under dash panel, near centre console". I'm wondering how many dash panel parts one has to remove in order to get access to this module...

There are two wires going to the fog light bulbs from this control module.

Left bulb: white/yellow wire from 6-pin white connector, right bulb: black wire from 6-pin brown connector.

So if one would disable the fog lights via VCDS, then the wires would probably be free for supplying clean switched +12V to suitable LED modules.

Any utilization of this info with one's own risk, goes without saying... ;)

Now, the biggest problem seems to be finding such EU type-approved DRL LED modules that would be pretty much drop-in replacements for the Touareg fog light assemblies!
Yes, I assume disable fog light in VCDS will at least disable the COLD TEST(the initial test every time you power the car on), and based on my reading on another thread about the Euro Headlight Switch(it has rear fog light) it should just pop up a light burn warning when you activate the fog lights using the light switch if there is no fog light.

Not sure about in your country, but I would just find a low wattage(high temperature kills LED FAST, and the LED bulb will not work well with the fog light reflector(different bulb shape), it will not produce a nice bean cutting ( which is good for DRL )so the DRL should not be too bright since you can not switch it off at night, or you can, but that make it complicate) LED H11 type bulb.
What you think?:)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I assume disable fog light in VCDS will at least disable the COLD TEST(the initial test every time you power the car on), and based on my reading on another thread about the Euro Headlight Switch(it has rear fog light) it should just pop up a light burn warning when you activate the fog lights using the light switch if there is no fog light.

Not sure about in your country, but I would just find a low wattage(high temperature kills LED FAST, and the LED bulb will not work well with the fog light reflector(different bulb shape), it will not produce a nice bean cutting ( which is good for DRL )so the DRL should not be too bright since you can not switch it off at night, or you can, but that make it complicate) LED H11 type bulb.
What you think?:)
Bump...

About the warning: I checked my owner's manual, and it mentions that a warning to check bulbs will be displayed should the driver pull the light switch into the fog lights position in case of no factory fitted fogs. From usability point of view I find this somewhat odd especially when there is a separate option for front fogs in VCDS, so it must be some hardware/software limitation...

Anyway, got myself a 3rd party (CE-approved) DRL set with 5 pcs of round 20mm diameter LEDs per side including a control unit. I also recently purchased a HEX-USB+CAN cable for VCDS.

So the plan is as follows:
-Remove front fog lights and disable them using VCDS (I have no need for front fog lights)
- Purchase and install the black plastic caps covering the opening for the front fogs in vehicles without fog lights equipped from factory
- Mount the DRLs into these plastic caps
- Purchase the original two wire connector that mates with the factory front fog light wiring harness
- Replace the connector in the 3rd party DRL harness with the VAG one and connect the DRLs into the fog light harness
- Under driver dash panel, tap the DRL control box into the fog light wires leaving the electronics control unit

This is in order to avoid removing front bumper for installation, modifying the front grilles on the bumper and running extra wires around the engine bay. Also, this modification is more or less reversible if something would go wrong...

Anything I might not have considered? Any other ideas?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Why don't you just run the fog lights without the main beams on?

This is what I do...I am running a euro headlight switch, can't remember if it functions differently.

On my Audis, I have the fogs set up to go on with the ignition.

Either way, I'm not sure what you're getting by changing to LEDs. As DRLs, it doesn't really matter what light source you're using...the OEM fogs work fine for me...

Just saying... you're getting into a bit of work. Of course, I've modified a bunch of stuff too just because I could. :)

Let us know how it turns out, with pics!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why don't you just run the fog lights without the main beams on?

This is what I do...I am running a euro headlight switch, can't remember if it functions differently.

On my Audis, I have the fogs set up to go on with the ignition.

Either way, I'm not sure what you're getting by changing to LEDs. As DRLs, it doesn't really matter what light source you're using...the OEM fogs work fine for me...

Just saying... you're getting into a bit of work. Of course, I've modified a bunch of stuff too just because I could. :)

Let us know how it turns out, with pics!

I live in Scandinavia and I have two reasons:
- The local law states that fog lights are only allowed for driving in fog, or when it is either raining or snowing heavily,
- I'm reluctant on driving with lights on that are not meant for that purpose, and finally
- Even if I wouldn't be reluctant, then other road users could be and would probably flash me their main beams...

That being said, I will also consider leaving the fog lights alone and installing the DRLs separately (in case of selling my car, the next owner might have fog lights on his/her must have list...)

And yes, I have the Euro light switch factory fitted, naturally... I think even VCDS coding does not allow using fog lights as DRLs like e.g. in Scoda Octavia, which I believe has separate bulbs for that operation.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've thought about doing the same (and for the same reason as well), but ultimately decided that the fogs are mounted far too low on the Touareg to be much benefit as DRLs.
Is OP using the fogs to just be legal for his state? He isn't really using them as a source of light correct? Although maybe them being low doesn't really pass as DRL's

·
Registered
737 Posts
I live in Scandinavia and I have two reasons:
- The local law states that fog lights are only allowed for driving in fog, or when it is either raining or snowing heavily,
- I'm reluctant on driving with lights on that are not meant for that purpose, and finally
- Even if I wouldn't be reluctant, then other road users could be and would probably flash me their main beams...

That being said, I will also consider leaving the fog lights alone and installing the DRLs separately (in case of selling my car, the next owner might have fog lights on his/her must have list...)

And yes, I have the Euro light switch factory fitted, naturally... I think even VCDS coding does not allow using fog lights as DRLs like e.g. in Scoda Octavia, which I believe has separate bulbs for that operation.
Ah, I understand. I did not notice your location. Here in the states people do all sorts of things with lights that technically aren't allowed, and nobody notices. I understand that in Europe, people take these things more seriously. :)

In your case, I think the additional set of lights will serve you best. Use them as your DRLs, then you have the OEM fog lights for use in bad weather.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Just stick with your dipped or low beam headlights. That way your rear lights will be on too.

I don't understand why the latest EU legislation only has the stupidly bright LEDS at the front as there are many instances when it is just as important to be seen from the rear!

I have been using DRLs front and rear for nearly 40 years thanks to half a million miles in 3 SAAB turbos originally and can list many examples of when I know for certain the lights stopped other drivers pulling out in front of me.

I replace xenon bulbs in the autumn every two or three years depending on the car's mileage as a maintenance item as the bulbs do deteriorate. It is a small price to pay to see and be seen.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just stick with your dipped or low beam headlights. That way your rear lights will be on too.

I don't understand why the latest EU legislation only has the stupidly bright LEDS at the front as there are many instances when it is just as important to be seen from the rear!

I have been using DRLs front and rear for nearly 40 years thanks to half a million miles in 3 SAAB turbos originally and can list many examples of when I know for certain the lights stopped other drivers pulling out in front of me.

I replace xenon bulbs in the autumn every two or three years depending on the car's mileage as a maintenance item as the bulbs do deteriorate. It is a small price to pay to see and be seen.

You have a point. In fact, my country's local inspection officials as well as road police recommends to get "rear lights active for daytime driving" option coded active for newer cars (if this is supported by the car's control unit).

I have been thinking of using both dipped beam and fog lights as a trigger to switch off the LED DRLs to allow driving with rear lights on. In this case the combination would be DRL + side lights + rear lights, which is allowed where I live.

Since I recently replaced brand new Osram Night Breakers, it just feels like a waste of money to keep'em shining during daylight!

·
Registered
737 Posts
You have a point. In fact, my country's local inspection officials as well as road police recommends to get "rear lights active for daytime driving" option coded active for newer cars (if this is supported by the car's control unit).

I have been thinking of using both dipped beam and fog lights as a trigger to switch off the LED DRLs to allow driving with rear lights on. In this case the combination would be DRL + side lights + rear lights, which is allowed where I live.

Since I recently replaced brand new Osram Night Breakers, it just feels like a waste of money to keep'em shining during daylight!
Replacing a pair of xenon bulbs every couple of years is far less expensive than a collision deductible, time off work, medical care, reduced value...

You *do* run snow tires, right? :)

Some people here in the states consider them an unnecessary expense!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
You *do* run snow tires, right? :)

Some people here in the states consider them an unnecessary expense!
Compulsory I think, and he also gets to use studs too!

Right time of year for this video - turn up the volume and enjoy [shame you only get to hear snippets of the magnificent V8 Tdi!]

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Off the subject but how are the night breakers compared to the old bulbs.
Well, I'm comparing original (in my case Phillips Xenstart type) bulbs with 50000 km (some 36 k miles I guess) and bit over three years behind them to a pair of brand-new Night breakers...

They're bright. The night-time highway scenery got much better. The color temperature BTW is much warmer than I thought for a Xenon. Something between a Halogen and a HID maybe. The sides of the road are illuminated clearly now, but I still could use some more range straight ahead, though...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:wink2:
Compulsory I think, and he also gets to use studs too!

Right time of year for this video - turn up the volume and enjoy [shame you only get to hear snippets of the magnificent V8 Tdi!]

Compulsory, yes. However, you can choose between studs and friction type of winter tyres. I have studs, for the record...
;)

Oh, that V8... Sounds just like my next vehicle!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts