Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i had an engine code on my 2010 Touareg 3.6l. Now a hissing from the box at rear of engine coming from the the little hole. Been told by local shop the valve covers and intake all are one piece and needs to be replaced as it contains the ccv?? and pcv?? valve and it has failed.

So question is, is this a repairable or replaceable part or does the whole thing need to be replaced??

also, am willing and able to do work myself except some sites stated the front end needs to come off??? seems that would be for a transverse mounted engine not a longitudinal as a Touareg has. Should I attempt to fix or is the $1400.00 bucks I was quoted reasonable.

Any help comments would be helpful.

Thanks...Dan

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Unlike earlier engines, where it was a ten minute job to R&R the old PCV, the PCV is part of the cover on your engine. Not cheap I'm afraid.

As for DIY, I can't help you on that score.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Can't help with the DIY either, but I can tell you it pretty involved. Check out the pictures in this thread and perhaps PM the OP and see what you can glean on doing the job yourself.

I remember talking to the parts department at my dealer about valve covers and the newer design was brought up...it appears even the valve cover seal is integral on some VIN numbers (if the seal goes the valve cover has to be replaced as a unit). pretty stupid design. I hope mine lasts a long time...

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/wiring-help-2007-v6-231473.html

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just did mine. 2013 V6 with 88k miles. Took about 4 hours........It is NOT for the squeemish.......there are a few parts that are absolutley CONFOUNDING to reassemble. It was great to know that I had done what I could, since 1,100 was quoted and the part was only 125.00 and in the end I was able to clean the valves, etc., But my problem did not go away. So at least I only burned 125...........that said if you have a mechanic friend to help think through things it would be very helpful...since much of the work involves thinking ahead and being somewhat creative.........

·
Registered
54 Posts
Leave it to Audi to put a cheap part like the PCV in the valve cover. I am told its increasingly popular to do so.....but all this work just for a pcv....makes ZERO sense.....then again I am about to install a new battery and having to move the driver's seat is equally maddening. It's like these guys took a class in making 100% sure most DYIers are frustrated.

·
Registered
54 Posts
OH, btw I had a local indie that would do the work for 600.00 using a third party valve cover, so that would be the route I would go if you are sure the PCV is at fault.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts