Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
14 Tdi R-Line
Removed front calipers to paint them, had them plugged but lost a little bit of fluid anyway. Reinstalled and now my pedal will not build any pressure. Bled all 4 and still no luck. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
I would put my money on air trapped in the system. Try bleeding it again...

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I would put my money on air trapped in the system. Try bleeding it again...
What is the order in which you should bleed the four corners?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm currently bleeding the right front as this is the caliper I removed. I am gravity bleeding and going to run a qt through

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
You shouldn't need to bleed that much. Do you have a mate who can assist with the pedal... as you would only have air in the caliber and it would be unlikely to have air further up in the brake system. Also I find it useful to fully retract the Pistons before bleeding if the caliber has been removed. This may just be my OCD behaviour but the thought is the smaller the internal volume to fill then the easier the bleed process.

Kind regards
Stuart...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually bled the **** out of all 4 until the fluid ran clear and it's at the point where it's drivable but still spongey. If I can activate abs while I'm driving will this get the air out of the abs unit? If so where will it go?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
ABS will not get air out of the system. Bleed them with an assistant to push the pedal while you open and close the bleeders. A PITA, but that's probably better than gravity bleeding. The lines make some crazy turns and you could still have air stuck in the top of any "loops".

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
A trick that motorcyclists/dirtbikers use to get our levers to "firm-up" is to bungee cord the clutch or brake lever and leave it overnight. In the morning, the air has been pushed up and out and our levers are nice and hard. I actually just did it to my bike this past week as my front lever was just a tad soft. I pulled the brake on, tied it off with a bungee cord and in the morning it was perfect.

Perhaps put a cinder block on the brake pedal and leave it overnight.

·
Registered
193 Posts
On my 05 allroad, I believe I read somewhere that you have to use VCDS to fully bleed the system. I'm very vague on how this works, though which system to log in, or if the Touareg is even uses the same procedure. Hell, I may be mis -remembering. Haha! If this is indeed the case, it may be worth looking into.

I do recall that there is a certain order in which to bleed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts