Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,,,Would anyone have the elsawin directions for removal of the v6 3 litre tdi turbo unit in pdf that they could post for me,,vanes need cleaning and are setting of engine light,,thanks John

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
what code are you getting?

The V6 TDi usually have the intake runner flaps go dud which people confuse with the vanes in the VGT turbo.

Here is the PDF anyway

Attachments

Reactions: Shadey

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the pdf,,I will find my docket and post what code I was getting,,,it was due to the electronic vane actuater not being able to open vane,,,once car warms up a bit it comes good,,only ever does it on a cold morning,,never whilst it is running,,,,ps is there a pdf in elsawin that describes the steps of removal of turbo?,,cheers John

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Codes

Hi all,,the codes were as follows P100D turbo adjuster and P100E torque intervention due to turbo,,this was in April 2015 ,,put some dpf cleaner as recommended by German autos to clean vanes,,but it happened again the other day .,,what do you think is wrong ,,,cheers john

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Engine light on again,,,turned it off with mates code reader,,,it read DTC 04109 desc Actuator for turbocharger stuck or hard to move,,,,,any one any idea???

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sticky vanes

Hi Shadey. Ran into same trouble while travelling to holiday destination. Dealer wants to replace turbo, but no turbo's in country at present (South Africa). I'm considering whether its possible for me to remove the inlet vanes off the turbo while on holiday and clean and replace (and hopefully solve my problems!) My car is in limp mode and have to travel 1400km back home in 2 weeks... Tried replacing the servo motor at VW, but problem still remains. Resetting with Ross Tech VCDS does not work as problem re-occurs even when idling and vehicle remains in limp mode...
Were you able to remove and clean your vanes and solve your problems?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Commuter,,,,I have just finished cleaning my vanes,,going like a rocket,,,I took my turbo off and cleaned vanes with Mr Muscle Oven cleaner,,just sprayed back into exhaust side of turbo till it come out the vanes,,mine was completely stuck ,,would move about 5 mm ,,, after 10 minute it was free after 20 minutes it was perfect,,,the way to test yours is pull off the little E clip that holds the rod from electronic actuator to turbo vane rod,,a small screwdriver ,,don't loose the the clip like I did,,then prise that rod off turbo vane actuating rod,,it will take a little effort,,now you should have about 20-25 mm of movement of rod to open and close vanes,,as I said mine was stuck,,if yours is moving freely stuck vanes is not your problem,,,if it is stuck you have 2 options,,take off turbo and clean,or drop off exhaust pipe of turbo,,hold back pipe,,and spray in Oven cleaner,,wait 10 minutes and keep moving turbo vane rod until it frees up,,I took mine right off because I had the time,,after I did it I realised the short cut way...I had trouble with the 3 torque bolts holding on the turbo and had to chisel them to move them,,I also had trouble with the seat bolts to disconnect the battery,,I have replaced all with Allen head bolts,,I am not a mechanic but have worked on my cars for 50 years,,are you handy,,,you still might have to get the engine light turned off if its on,,I have not tried the quick way ,but it might get you out of trouble,,,let me know how you go,,if you stuck and need advise,,just ask ,,I will keep an eye on my emails,,,cheers John

·
Registered
3 Posts
John. Thanks for the swift & useful reply. I've removed the actuator rod with the basic tools with me while camping? The vanes move very freely in my opinion and hence I agree that the problem is not sticky vanes. Again looked at my VCDS and VW diagnostic printouts. Both would be better interpreted as an ECU problem:
013128 - Control Circuit for Controller for Turbocharger 1 (J724)
P3348 - 005 - Electrical Malfunction
I'll try to get the car to Volkswagen in the next day or so and see if they will agree and enquire about the cost and availability of a new turbocharger controller. Will keep you posted!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
sounds like stripped teeth on the motor that actuates the rod.

·
Registered
3 Posts
John. Got it resolved. Faultfinding indicated wiring must be part of problem. After insisting, the local VW dealer allowed me to partake during the faultfinding. Redressed the connectors which connects onto the J724 controller. The new servo controller still did not move when given a setting. We tested the old one and behold, it responded perfectly to each given setpoint (after we dressed the connector). Swopped out old servo/controller back in place of the new servo and after some adjustment along the slotted holes, located the servo controller properly and everything worked 100%. Did a 150km trip today and everything works 100% with no new fault codes. No need to replace the whole turbo or the turbo controller or the engine controller!
So in short, the initial problem must have related to a poor connection on either 3rd or 4th terminal on the servo controller. The NEW servo controller VW installed en route to my holiday destination, was in fact faulty and does not respond to signals from the ECU. Old servo controller was not faulty but had some faulty connections which caused the initial intermittent faults...
Thanks again for your advice. Your advice of removing the connecting rod between controller and turbo enabled me to ascertain that the problem was not sticky vanes, but rather related to the controller, or in this case, the wiring to the controller and to figure out that the new controller was in fact faulty!!! Thanks for participating on a forum such as this and helping the helpless such as myself in times of need!!! I can now enjoy the rest of my holiday!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Well done. Excellent fault finding and well done too to the VW garage for letting you sit in on the job.

·
Registered
465 Posts
This is an outstanding post. Thank you for sharing this information.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Great info, thank you.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I just heard from my dealer that the turbo might be gone on my 2011 T3. Have something like 114K miles on it, with just a few sensor and adblue problems since buying new. They're testing pressure at full throttle to see if the fault light is correct, but I could be looking at turbo replacement. Of course this would have to happen so soon after my 100K warranty ran out. Ugh.

Are there other things I should ask about/investigate? The mass flow sensor may be out too, but are there options for trying to clean the vanes, or other replacement turbos out there to consider? Dealer said there are no serviceable parts in these turbos.

Are T3's starting to lose turbos or is it just me? This car's been great til now, and I'd say 90% of those miles are highway, with lots of East coast Appalachia mountain driving.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Hi Commuter,,,,I have just finished cleaning my vanes,,going like a rocket,,,I took my turbo off and cleaned vanes with Mr Muscle Oven cleaner,,just sprayed back into exhaust side of turbo till it come out the vanes,,mine was completely stuck ,,would move about 5 mm ,,, after 10 minute it was free after 20 minutes it was perfect,,,the way to test yours is pull off the little E clip that holds the rod from electronic actuator to turbo vane rod,,a small screwdriver ,,don't loose the the clip like I did,,then prise that rod off turbo vane actuating rod,,it will take a little effort,,now you should have about 20-25 mm of movement of rod to open and close vanes,,as I said mine was stuck,,if yours is moving freely stuck vanes is not your problem,,,if it is stuck you have 2 options,,take off turbo and clean,or drop off exhaust pipe of turbo,,hold back pipe,,and spray in Oven cleaner,,wait 10 minutes and keep moving turbo vane rod until it frees up,,I took mine right off because I had the time,,after I did it I realised the short cut way...I had trouble with the 3 torque bolts holding on the turbo and had to chisel them to move them,,I also had trouble with the seat bolts to disconnect the battery,,I have replaced all with Allen head bolts,,I am not a mechanic but have worked on my cars for 50 years,,are you handy,,,you still might have to get the engine light turned off if its on,,I have not tried the quick way ,but it might get you out of trouble,,,let me know how you go,,if you stuck and need advise,,just ask ,,I will keep an eye on my emails,,,cheers John
Hi John,

got the same error messages as you recently so was wondering how your fix was performing, does it appear that you fixed the stuck vanes, no more error codes?

thanks,

TonyB

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Tony,,,Have not had any problem with Vanes at all since I cleaned them,,,to see if this is your problem ,,do as follows,,remove circlip from electronic actuator arm,,then gently prise of turbo ,,,when arm is detached move turbo arm which actuates vanes,,mine was so jammed up I could not move it,,I cleaned mine with oven cleaner,,I removed my turb to do it,but I think it could be done by removing exhaust side of turbo and spraying in oven cleaner,,waiting 10 minute and manually activating turbo arm until it frees up and you have full vane movement,,,VW dealers would just replace turbo instead of cleaning it,,an easy fix if vane clogging is the problem,,mine had about 130,000 klms on it when it occurred,,,cheers john

1 - 20 of 26 Posts