Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i'm new here and hope I can get some advise please. I have a 2009 V6 TDI and the locking wheel nut has become damaged. I've been told by my local garage that it will have to be broken off and could take anything from 10 minutes to 5 hours! I thought i'd ask on here to see how others have sorted this problem out, perhaps special ways or special places to go to? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
You can get it off by hammering a socket onto it. Can't remember what size the mechanic used. Just need to find one that is the correct size to wedge onto it tightly, then carefully unscrew the assembly of socket and wheel bolt. it will damage the nut further, but so what. I actually salvaged mine with a file. in my case I left the key socket on the wheel after changing a flat and spun it off somewhere. Bought a new key socket. Can't remember how I found the correct one out of about a dozen.

·
Registered
437 Posts
You can get it off by hammering a socket onto it.
That is one way to do it. If you can get a bite on it, you might get lucky and be able to back out the lug.

But I suspect what your mechanic used was a "reverse thread socket" that are designed to remove rounded bolts. You can pound them on, and they are tapered and as you turn them to remove the bolt, they bite harder and deeper into the damaged bolt.

Can get them at Sears or Auto Parts stores or even Harbor Freight Tools or order on-line. Here's what one looks like:

http://www.carid.com/hanson/extractor-13-16-21-mm-with-1-2-drive-mpn-53915.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiAuf2lBRDW07y3z6f96awBEiQA0IngJn7begC2LWXoLsvmEp9tGJOS4jJNxvU2S1CP8i4xMBYaAtgK8P8HAQ

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Sounds like a nifty tool but I watched as he tried his deep wall impact soctets on for size.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
reverse thread socket as others have mentioned...just need to make sure there is enough room around the lug bolt to hammer the socket on there.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Hmmm.... If I recall correctly, the stock VW security lug bolts on my Touareg have a freely rotating heavy outer cylindrical steel sleeve to prevent the use of back-out sockets...

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hmmm.... If I recall correctly, the stock VW security lug bolts on my Touareg have a freely rotating heavy outer cylindrical steel sleeve to prevent the use of back-out sockets...

Bumping a very old thread.
Does anyone know if this is true?
Had an air impact monkey mess up one of my wheel locks.

I'm planning on getting rid of the locks but need to get this one damaged one off.
Thanks.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Nevermind...found out it is.
Time for plan B.
Next plan C- 22mm to get rid of the collar. Then a 3/4" emergency lock nut remover.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I went through a tough time, when I was swapping my 2012 20" Pikes Peak wheels for a set of 2004 Cayenne Turbo 17" wheels/tires, the lock had been stripped by the previous tire change moron.

I had tried banging a socket on and that was no luck.

I got an emergency locking lug nut removing socket which has threads on the inside of it, much like an ez-out but in reverse. After much effort, the emergency socket worked and I was able to get the round lugnut with the puzzle-face, off. It was a PITA but I got it.

I had to damage the round collar that goes around the bolt enough so that the threads of the emergency socket could get a bite on the bolt and once I was able to get that to happen, the e-socket was able to get the bolt out.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I read in another thread I found somewhere that a 22mm socket wold go over that collar and get it to come off the bolt. If the 22mm trick doesnt work then I'll use a small cutting wheel to cut the collar a bit then split it with a cold chisel. Then using the 3/4" e-socket the bolt itself should break free so it can be removed.
Luckily it's only 1 lock bolt I have to deal with. The other three are all changed already.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I just ran into this same issue. A few things to try before you go damaging the lug bolt.

First, there appear (to my knowledge) to be two anti-theft lug styles. The first type is something that looks like an internal spline on the lug bolt and an external spline on the lug tool (my Mk4 Jetta has this style, and the VW Dealer lists something similar for Touareg as well). The second type has a milled pattern on it (usually curvy) and a mating lug key.

Which style are you talking about (or is it something else)?

My '13 has the swirly style. Recently a tire changer managed to torque the wheels wrong by hand and messed up the lug in the tightening direction. I was able to use a hammer and 1/4" chissel to sort of fix the key, and the bolt enough to remove it. I didn't want to risk further damage so ordered another set of lugs.

The locking lugs I have could probably work with the socket trick. Most people I have seen can hammer a 12 point deep socket over the outer diameter of the socket and it would work.

The spline drive style the same thing may (or may not) work. I know they make lug removal tools that also may or may not work.

There is also the option of drilling them off with a large drill bit as explained in this post: https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3207133

I've had a similar problem present itself with stainless allen head screws. If you have a decent welder nearby you can wire brush the zinc plating off the lug and weld a nut or piece of 3/8" square bar stock to the lug and that should (hopefully) be enough to remove it. If you do weld its probably best to put a few layers of masking tape over the wheel and perhaps even spray anti-spatter (whatever you want to call it) to avoid weld spatter and to also only weld for 15-20 seconds at a time and allow time for the part to cool to avoid over heating the wheel and damaging the finish. Also probably best to keep a fire extinguisher handy.

Attachments

·
Registered
495 Posts
Mine is like your first picture or the picture below. I think it would take a while to try and fix the pattern to have the key fit. I just have to get the collar off then the 3/4" e-socket should get the bolt off.
I don't care about damaging the head of the locking bolt. I'm not putting them back on.

Attachments

·
Registered
495 Posts
Drill a hole in the center.
Use a bolt\stud extractor to back it out.

I think this method would have worked if the torque monkeys hadn't used an air impact to tighten them.
I use easy outs a lot and I'm betting it would snap before being useful in this situation.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I went through a tough time, when I was swapping my 2012 20" Pikes Peak wheels for a set of 2004 Cayenne Turbo 17" wheels/tires, the lock had been stripped by the previous tire change moron.

I had tried banging a socket on and that was no luck.

I got an emergency locking lug nut removing socket which has threads on the inside of it, much like an ez-out but in reverse. After much effort, the emergency socket worked and I was able to get the round lugnut with the puzzle-face, off. It was a PITA but I got it.

I had to damage the round collar that goes around the bolt enough so that the threads of the emergency socket could get a bite on the bolt and once I was able to get that to happen, the e-socket was able to get the bolt out.
I have the same issue on my 911 in the garage with a blow out. Waiting for 4 new lugs and tossing the locks in the garbage. I'm heading to Harbor Freight now. Thanks.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Mine is like your first picture or the picture below. I think it would take a while to try and fix the pattern to have the key fit. I just have to get the collar off then the 3/4" e-socket should get the bolt off.
I don't care about damaging the head of the locking bolt. I'm not putting them back on.

How bad were they?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts