Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the middle of the day on Saturday, someone wrote on my white Treg with black permanent marker. Aaarghh! Did some reading online. Some suggested using rubbing alcohol to remove. I tried hand sanitizer this morning. It actually worked. Although, I do still see a very very faint shadow. I am guessing a good buff/wax would finish the job. Thought I would share with the group.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Coca Cola. Takes it off whiteboards, too.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Professional auto detailing will use acetone. Wipe on wipe off. Do not let it sit and don't ever use it on red paint. It is very harsh, it will require polishing and waxing afterwards (will look a little cloudy afterwards). I repeat DO NOT let it sit (it is essentially nail polish remover). I have used this with awesome success, but very, very sparingly. This might be better remembered than used with this application for something worse (spray paint from vandalism for example).

Bug and tar remover is a safer choice and I would start here before moving onto the big guns.

A very diluted mix of car soap mixed with water and an auto detailing clay bar are also something to consider if there was any surface irregularity (small dried sap in a fine mist that can only be felt with the fingertips). A perfectly detailed car is as soft as a baby's cheek such that a rag will slide off the nearly flat hood. This surface garbage gives things like Sharpie markers something to cling to and is common to most cars.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Old post I know but, if it is anything like a sharpie marker, then DENATURED ALCOHOL is the best. We mark tool steel and plastic panels temporarily with Permanent Black Sharpie. It just comes off with denatured alcohol very easily.

·
Super Moderator
9,493 Posts
Try some Simple Green. You would be amazed what that stuff can clean!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Hi, the best and most simple i have tried on permanent marker is a white board markers :D If you will Write anything on white board with permanent marker it stays there but if you will rewrite on top with flip chart marker it soaks the "ink" and after it comes off right away :)
Once i saved the day using this trick in a class room when i was in France and Elderly instructor mixed up the markers :)

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Try Novus #2 Plastic Polish. Not only does it remove black magic marker from whiteboards along with other stubborn ghost writing. It also polishes the whiteboard surface making new writing easier to fully erase.

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Did using NOVUS alter the clear coat at all? My neighbor just got theirs drawn on...
Novus #2 Plastic Polish is mildly abrasive but no more than car polish. Clear coat is basically plastic. You'd have to go nuts polishing hard repeatedly at a small area to cause damage. Try it on a test spot and I bet it'll work fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts