Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to paint roof and been given quote with New windshield in price. Can the old windscreen not be removed and replaced?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Windscreens wear.

I replace mine every 80,000 miles or so.

The difference is very apparent between old and new on a sunny day.

I'd have a new screen fitted.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
There are several factors......
Depending on condition and features (lane departure assist, rain sensors, etc), replacement can be quite costly.
You also get cheaper quality and SHAPE replacements....

I've only replaced units that had cracks.... I've even drive for years with a stone chip in efforts to save my paint (most installers are butchers and your frame will start rusting after a replacement), and lots of people experience garbage wiper performance after a replacement because of the incorrect aftermarket el cheapo curvature.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Perhaps I've been lucky but I've never had a problem with any of those issues and I've had quite a few screens over the years.

Interestingly today's screens seem to get micro chips way more easily than my recollection of screens from the last milleniium!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
It's possible that on your side of the pond you don't get as many shady suppliers of "alleged" OEM glass (read aftermarket) as we do over here......

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
New glass is usually aftermarket and not OEM suppliers.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Does your insurance policy have new windshield coverage? Here in BC I can get any new windshield (OEM from dealer) and just pay a $200 deductible.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
We stand the risk of getting "refurbished" screens that is sanded down to remove the chips. They are thinner and noisier than brand new ones. But we also have the option of OEM replacement at the dealer for the same price as any other place. Covered by the insurance and about $200 of your own money.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Never heard of refurbished glass before!

·
Registered
631 Posts
There are several factors......
Depending on condition and features (lane departure assist, rain sensors, etc), replacement can be quite costly.
You also get cheaper quality and SHAPE replacements....

I've only replaced units that had cracks.... I've even drive for years with a stone chip in efforts to save my paint (most installers are butchers and your frame will start rusting after a replacement), and lots of people experience garbage wiper performance after a replacement because of the incorrect aftermarket el cheapo curvature.
All good points and concerns but this screen is coming out anyway, the question is whether op can re use he original screen or have to buy a new one.

I've kept my original screen in my BMW because it's much harder than any replacements I can find. Even though I'd like a new screen.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Multiple installers used to tell me they couldn't get them out cleanly and it wasn't worth the effort to even try. I can only conclude they were telling the truth because I wasn't the customer--they were. I have parted a few different vehicles in my life but I couldn't sell or even eventually give away the windshields even from the BMWs--and those were 80s-90s cars without any tech in the glass.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts