Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2013 V8 R-Line
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon gents,
Thought I would throw a question out there to the community and ask whether anyone has built a system to allow for removing a fridge slide. I would love to have a slide, but I dont want to have it installed permanently as I don't have my fridge in the back all the time. Was toying with the idea of a piece of ply that covers the whole back area, carpeted, and then somehow held down by the luggage tie down points, but not sure as yet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a removable system that I built in my previous 2 vehicles (Pajeros). Haven't yet made Mk III for the Treg yet, but the principles will be the same.

The slide base was a piece of 9mm ply, carpeted, and fixed to two 100kg(?) drawer slides similar to these Accuride slides, which were mounted flat. The slides I got specified that they could be flat mounted, and the weight rating for flat mounting is less that for the usual side mounting. But even with a full fridge, plus allowance for vertical forces i.e. bouncing up and down sand dunes or 4wd tracks, I'm satisfied that the rating was more than adequate. The main reasons I chose these kinds of slides was that they don't raise the height of the fridge much,(~20mm slide thickness plus ~10mm ply + carpet) and their extended length is twice their closed length, meaning the fridge can be drawn out of the back of the vehicle further compared to slides with a more limited excursion. I routed shallow recesses into the base which the feet of the Engel fridge located.

The fridge was strapped to hooks screwed into tee nuts the base ply. The tee nuts are really good because the mount basically flush with the ply surface, but provide quite a large surface area against the ply to prevent the fastener from pulling through. I did a destruction test once and they took a heap of force.

The slides were then bolted to four tee nuts in a 9mm ply shelf. The shelf was to allow access to a space that's virtually the same as the spare wheel well in the Treg (only it's where the 3rd row seats are stored in the Paj). So to remove the slide, I just had to unscrew those four bolts. The shelf was mounted on a frame which was fixed at each corner to the luggage tie-down points. A latch kept the slide locked in a closed position. I tried to work out a system to lock the slide when extended, but never successfully resolved that one.

Sorry I don't have photos to save a few thousand words, but I'm not home at the moment. I can post photos of the "bits" in a few days if you like.

The system was heaps lighter that commercial set-ups, and the most expensive part was the slides, which might have been around $100 for the pair from distant memory. Cost of ply, carpet and fixings from Bunnies; bugger-all.

And it survived the Cape York torture test of thousands of corrugations, some fairly gnarly tracks including the Old Telegraph Track and Laura-Maytown Old Coach "Road".

·
Registered
2013 V8 R-Line
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply Mikey. I generally follow what you're saying but like you say, a picture tells a thousand words doesn't so if you don't mind posting photos, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
1,981 Posts
Someone did what (I think) you're asking @Snerlo some time ago in a 7L 'reg. I think I recall the member, I'll do a search and report back ;)

That didn't take long.... have a look here Rear storage draw and raised floor

Reactions: Snerlo

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Snerlo,
I did do what you conteplate by fitting a carpeted false floor bolted to the cargo tie down points including fitting a 40L fridge slide, used that a couple of times but what I found is that the slide takes us a little too much room once you bolt it onto the floor and make sure it slides cleanly out of the cargo area.
The slide used an additional 50-80mm on each side for the fridge to clear the cargo area so in the end tossed all that out and fitted the Engel without the slide and strapped it down to using the cargo tie downs which meant all that had to be cleared is the top curved section of the rear hatch when opening the fridge lid, now I had a fridge lid that opened fully and saved at least 100mm either side of the fridge which gave me a lot more room for other essential stuff.
I agree that a fridge on a slide looks and works fabulously well if you have the room, but you do loose a fair bit of room due to the slide's footprint, not to mention the cost of the slide, ultimately I ended up selling the fridge slide and in the last 7 years that is how I carry my 40l Engel and have never regretted removing it.
Fact is unfortunately we don't have 2Mtr sq of storage footprint to play with.
TonyB

·
Registered
2013 V8 R-Line
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply Tony. At the moment I just put my fridge in and strap it to the two tie down points on the one side. I don't use it a great deal so it sounds like I just need to keep going with this setup. Appreciate the response.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
1,981 Posts
@Snerlo that's how we do it also

Reactions: Snerlo

·
Registered
30 Posts
OK, some photos of the remnants of Mk II (which have been in the rain for a few years now). Note, the slides in the photos ARE NOT the ones I have used in the past. I've redeployed them elsewhere. The slides shown in the photos are much shorter and lower rated that what is needed. I've used them just for illustration. The proper slides are as long as the base on which the fridge sits and are much more heavy duty.

·
Registered
2013 V8 R-Line
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Mikey. Not a bad little setup. I can see that working as long as the four corners are held down. Well done mate. Thanks for the post.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts