Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would like to get a remote starter for the 2012 TReg tdi that I just bought so I don't have to wait for it to warm up in the winter and cool down in the summer. I found out that VW software does not support remote starter for this model.y On my wife's Lexus RX450H I had one installed and use Drone Mobile with it and it is great for long distance starting and unlocking etc., plus there are other features of this type of remote start that are convenient and informing. The installer at Best Buy said that I must provide a spare key for him to wire up under the dash so remote start is possible. Is anyone aware of an alternative way to do this or a remote start unit that will work with out the key under the dash work-around. thanks

·
Registered
267 Posts
What are you trying to achieve? A diesel engine is pretty efficient, but that efficiency means that you could let it idle all morning and it still have a cold interior. On the flip side, it will destroy your diesel particulate filter and possibly cause wet-stacking.

I agree that a Webasto or Eberspacher is the way to go, but they are expensive to purchase and you really need mechanical aptitude to install. Good luck finding a local shop to install it for you.

Honestly, these cars heat up really, really quickly. But if you absolutely need an autostart, you are better off trading this thing for a gas powered car. Just my opinion, but living in interior Alaska with cold temperatures (-37 yesterday morning), I just turn on the seat heater and heated steering wheel, start it up and go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What are you trying to achieve? A diesel engine is pretty efficient, but that efficiency means that you could let it idle all morning and it still have a cold interior. On the flip side, it will destroy your diesel particulate filter and possibly cause wet-stacking.

I agree that a Webasto or Eberspacher is the way to go, but they are expensive to purchase and you really need mechanical aptitude to install. Good luck finding a local shop to install it for you.

Honestly, these cars heat up really, really quickly. But if you absolutely need an autostart, you are better off trading this thing for a gas powered car. Just my opinion, but living in interior Alaska with cold temperatures (-37 yesterday morning), I just turn on the seat heater and heated steering wheel, start it up and go.
thank you ...I am looking for remote start and its not necessarily to only heat the car before running it...so an engine heater is not what I was looking for but thanks for the reply and the help...I bought the TReg TDI for its towing prowess instead of getting a pickup to tow the camper...which we are looking to do shortly...winter in New York is nothing like what you have at -37 the coldest we usually get is -10 to -15 and thats only for a few days altough with wind chills we can get way down there...then its too cold to walk the dog!! stay warm and heatlhy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts