Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I picked up a couple of spare valve cores when I had a new set of tires fitted tho' since then I have used tire strings so I can now fix a flat without removing the wheel and be going again in about 10 minutes.
Can you please explain what "tire strings" are?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Yup, those are the kiddies.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2012 Touareg Sport TDI, and the "spare tire " is a farce! I love this vehicle, well not in a Biblical way, but am really rluctant to take advantage of its "off road" capabilities considering the Mickey Mouse, spare tire! So I have spent many hours researching how to provide myself with a "full sized" spare! I have viewed many posts on this site, and others, and the solution for my concerns has been addressed by many, everything from a $1300 plus factory kit to a trailer hitch mounted carrier! Today I hit on a solution! Most of us don't go off roading with our Touaregs very often, so to seek a costly solution seems futile. So what I have decided to do is:
1. Purchase a wheel capable of off road use.
2. Purchase a full sized tire to put on that wheel able to withstand limited off road use.
4. Install tire on wheel, test fit so that I am confident this all works!
5. Store that tire and rim in my garage until I am going to embark on an off road adventure, in which case, I just plop the "spare" into the cargo area, pack my camping equipment around it, if necessary and I don't have more than one passenger, drop down the rear seats, stow and sally forth.
6. If I decide I need more cargo space, purchase a rooftop cargo thing. It's a lot easier to lift a few suitcases and/or camping gear, one at a time, then to lift a spare tire up there and hope it doesn't perform a load shift while in transit!
Problem solved, with minimum cost, maximum safety and reliability! Far cheaper than the ugly, spare tire add ons available from various venders on the internet .
Around town where there is usually an area to spend an hour or so utilizing VW's "Space saver" spare might make sense, but If stranded on the side of the San Fransisco Peaks outside Flagstaff, AZ a full sized spare can be a comfort! Now all I have to do is evaluate the VW jack on uneven terrain! But first of all, I have to dig through 2 layers of black painted Styrofoam to find the jack! BTW, if you insist on gunuine VW parts, the dealer quote for OEM rim and tire is about $440.00. You can probably do better by shopping around. Just remember you don't have to have an OEM rim or tire, just one that is full sized and meets your confidence criteria!
Happy trails to you!
Rich

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Unless the full sized spare wheel tire is IDENTICAL to the four tires on the car [which themselves must be the same make, same size, same model, same tread pattern and with similar tread depth [no more than 2mm tread depth difference on the same axle and no more than 3 mm tread depth difference between front and rear axles] so the spare is the same diameter, then, if you fit the new spare wheel and tire, you should limit your speed to the same maximum as that which applies to your spacesaver [which is much more robust than you think by the way!] of 50 mph/80 kph to avoid transmission wind up and potential long term damage to your gearbox.

Carry tire strings too - these really are the quickest and easiest way to stay on the four original wheels!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 2006 touareg. how do i get the stupid spare back in its compartment once it has been full deflated? I am to the point i am ready to throw it across my yard and use it as target practice
I'm right there with you. I tried inflating it and deflating it rapidly several times and it does not fold completely back up. It is still several inches too wide to fit. I even put two ratchet straps on it to try and collapse it but that didn't work either. I think the person who owned it before me had it inflated for at least a couple months. I spent about 4 hours trying to get it to fit and I was covered in sweat and literally bleeding before I said f$ck it and threw it across the garage. I really don't want to spend $$$ on another one of these worthless POS tires. I am thinking of converting my r12 vacuum pump into a tire vacuum. If that doesn't work I guess I am just going to enjoy all the extra storage space I will have. Below is a pic of the the tire and how much more clearance I need to fit it. The valve core is off in this pic.

2020-11-26.jpeg

·
Registered
2013 VW Touareg TDI Sport w/tech
896 Posts
It's strange that it didn't go all the way back after an hour. I tested mine a couple years ago, just to see what it looks like, and after I pulled the valve core to deflate, it only took an hour (maybe less, I didn't watch the entire hour). I was able to put it back in the trunk.
Your idea for vacuum should work. Maybe hand held brake fluid vacuum pump tool, but it would take a while to pull that much air left over in the tire.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts