Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 touareg. how do i get the stupid spare back in its compartment once it has been full deflated? I am to the point i am ready to throw it across my yard and use it as target practice

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hmm. Maybe use a vacuum pump :confused: Actually - I still have an inflated one too. After inflating it, it began to stink quite badly (overbearing rubber smell). So I never deflated it to put it back in the car. In light of your post I should try and see if I have more luck than you. If I find out anything I'll let you know.

I have a 2006 touareg. how do i get the stupid spare back in its compartment once it has been full deflated? I am to the point i am ready to throw it across my yard and use it as target practice

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have read that this method is successful, but as yet have not tried it myself.
Use a rope, or a strap, to wrap around the tire. Tie it off. Take a stick, or a screw driver and twist the rope like a twist tie until tight. Depress the valve stem and twist the rope as tight as you can to press out all of the air. The tire should then "fold down" as it was prior to inflation and with a bit of luck it will fit snuggly back in it's rightful place.
Hope this helps. I would be interested in hearing how it goes.
Cheers,
Ross.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The tyre should have deflated back into its original shape on its own without any assistance of any kind.

Did you leave it inflated for any length of time?

I assume you fully removed the valve stem to let the air out [without losing the pesky thing as the air blew out!].

Have you tried blowing it up again and then letting it down straightaway?

Do it on a hard clean surface - concrete or tarmac otherwise it "eats" stuff and keep your fingers out of the way too.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Just to clarify - when you let the tyre down, may I suggest that you do it by removing the valve stem quickly and completely while the wheel it is fully inflated which is what I meant about not losing the darned thing as the air rushes out, so do be careful here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have anyone tried using the car's air pump and switching the + and - around? Im curious but I dont want to be the guinea pig :D

·
My God,it's full of stars
5,765 Posts
I would NOT attempt that... but heck as Lt. Worf says "it's a good day to die, fire the photon torpedoes!" :)

siberian

·
Super Moderator
9,622 Posts
Have anyone tried using the car's air pump and switching the + and - around? Im curious but I dont want to be the guinea pig :D
Why would you do this?

·
Dark Lord of the Sith
1,278 Posts
Are you thinking that is would suck the air out then?

Not likely......

·
5,765 Posts
Not to mention blow a few gaskets in the process...

siberian

·
Registered
426 Posts
This is what a cargo strap is good for. Actuate the valve to deflate, wrap the strap around it and ratchet it down until the spare is fully collapsed.

Knew there was a reason why I kept those 10K rated cargo straps from the Air Force :)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Sorry, but that is plain wrong.

Under normal circumstances the tyre folds itself and any strap or other external forces would stop it doing that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
what gaskets are you referring to? I was just talking about switching the polarity on the air compressor that was used to inflate the tire in the first place.

·
5,765 Posts
Your reversing the compressor ... it's not meant to act as a vacuum cleaner...

siberian

·
Registered
18 Posts
Im not suggesting someone tries it and burns up their air compressor. If its a piston type with 2 check valves on each side - switching polarity will NOT work, however if it is a rotary type compressor (same one that is uses on Bosch fuel pumps) - it should. Switching polarity on a fuel pump some times helps free up a seized up pump if there is debris stuck in it.
I have a old tire compressor from my 928 laying around that i dont mind sacrificing and an old battery, so i might just try it once im off.

·
Registered
107 Posts
What a POS - the tire will just not fit back in the carrier in the back after taking it out and using as a crutch while I repaired a flat. kaboom

They seriously couldn't have designed that thing any better than this? Plenty of room on the left side, just not enough for it to fit all the way in on the right. The accessory tray is all the way in to the right where it's supposed to be.

Edit:
Apparently I don't have all the air out. I took it out, unscrewed the valve stem and will let it sit overnight, still a ever so slight hiss coming out of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
If it still doesn't fit:

Reinflate the tire to the correct pressure.

Lay it flat on a concrete floor [no dirt, no gravel] underneath.

Then carefully remove the valve core making sure it doesn't fly off into your face or disappear.

Stand back and watch the tyre fold itself up.

KEEP YOUR FINGERS AND BYSTANDERS AWAY! The moving tyrewalls can bite!!

Then refit the valve core.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If it still doesn't fit:

Reinflate the tire to the correct pressure.

Lay it flat on a concrete floor [no dirt, no gravel] underneath.

Then carefully remove the valve core making sure it doesn't fly off into your face or disappear.

Stand back and watch the tyre fold itself up.

KEEP YOUR FINGERS AND BYSTANDERS AWAY! The moving tyrewalls can bite!!

Then refit the valve core.
Thanks for the help, I think there is was still just a tad too much air in the tire when I compared the photos, and that was the issue. Unscrewed the valve stem and let it go for a little longer and when I came back half hour later, it looked like it was where it needs to be. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
33 Posts
The tire company that fixed my last flat removed the valve core to shrink the tire back to its small size and fir in the spare compartment. Unfortunately, I found out this weekend, that they did not replace the valve core!

Luckily, I got a ride into the next small town, where, even though there was nobody available to fix my flat tire, they had a valve core that I put into the spare, inflated it and took back to my stranded Treg.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I picked up a couple of spare valve cores when I had a new set of tires fitted tho' since then I have used tire strings so I can now fix a flat without removing the wheel and be going again in about 10 minutes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts