Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before i go to the dealer, can someone help me with my 2005 v8 treg headlight. Tonight i experienced something that i never had experienced before with my treg. As i was going out, i noticed my passenger side headlights was reddish. In the 5 years that i have owned the treg, this has never happened nor have i ever changed the bulb..except reverse,parking and brakes lights in the rear of the treg. I seen some replacement bulbs online for $21 from amazon but im affraid of getting the wrong one. I can put on the high beams but the passenger side still redish.i just dont want to get any ol bulb since these cars are not always easy to get replacements and installing them are always that easy or cheap.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Change in color to reds, yellowish, browns are all symptomatic of a burned out bulb. If one is going, the other(s) are not far behind.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
It is best to order them online and install them yourself. $150-ish (UDS) each. Expensive, but that's what happens when you have HID headlights. Don't be mad, I have them, too. :- )

There are DIY threads on how to remove the T1 headlight assemblies.

Good advice on replacing both.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FSJ...anything in particular i should know before ordering or a site i should get them...as for being mad, i got over that already i got rapped for doing a tune up and timing belt.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I haven't had to replace mine (yet) but everyone here says to get the real McCoy and not the cheaper generic brands.

I knew these beasts weren't going to be cheap to maintain, but I've still been surprised at the cost of some things! At least it doesn't require a $400 transmission flush every 40K miles like my DSG equipped Eos does.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Buy GENUINE bulbs from a reliable source and always replace BOTH bulbs for color/colour match.

You need 4300K.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Yeah, it is only because the dealer rips you off. Like I said the link above is genuine, not a Chinese made bulb. There is a video posted to another thread regarding identifying fake bulbs...you can find these on YouTube pretty easy too. the key things are Osram, genuine, 4,300k, and DS1. Lastly, always replace both at the same time. The bulbs above are all these key things, plus you can get them shipped in a day or two like I did when I needed one to be legal.

The reviews on the Amazon link are another key to the product and supplier...many Touareg owners there too...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, it is only because the dealer rips you off. Like I said the link above is genuine, not a Chinese made bulb. There is a video posted to another thread regarding identifying fake bulbs...you can find these on YouTube pretty easy too. the key things are Osram, genuine, 4,300k, and DS1. Lastly, always replace both at the same time. The bulbs above are all these key things, plus you can get them shipped in a day or two like I did when I needed one to be legal.

The reviews on the Amazon link are another key to the product and supplier...many Touareg owners there too...
Spiegelglatt,

Thank you so much for the info.. this really helps alot...i found a few including chinese but i saw the genuine from philips for around $36.00 each. I dont mind doing it myself... these types of diy i can handle.

I really appreciate everyones quick response. You guys really saved me a trip to the stealer.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Just be careful, I read an article that said a significant number of "brand name" bulbs on ebay and Amazon where actually fakes. The link I sent I know is legit because I and several other members have purchased there.

If you decide to purchase from another source make sure you do your due diligence.

Good luck! You will be blown away by how much brighter a new D1S bulb is versus an end of life one!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just ordered it from Amazon..its pretty comparable with ebay but I want be safe than sorry.

Also...do you happen to know if the lights flickering or at times would shut off for a few seconds and come back on...is this also the result or the signs of the bulb going bad?

When I ordered the bulbs, It suggested ordering the ballast...dont know what the is or it purpose.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
When a light dies or is close to it will turn on and off and flicker. If it does this when new, no this is not normal. Very similar to the way fluorescent bulbs die.

The light color in your case is a pretty classic example of a dead or close thereto HID bulb, I would start with just the bulbs and see what is what, but I feel a ballast isn't the culprit.

When you change the bulbs, inspect the wiring in the housing for corrosion also.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts