Club Touareg Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Where and what is THRL ?
It is a electrical plug connector shrouded in foam in and around the passenger tail light, trailer module area.
When checking with a multi-meter you will see it connects to pin 4 of the G508 plug under the steering column

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Guys, thanks for your replies. Picked up my launch edition treg, wired my redarc brake controller up, no probs, connector was in the battery box. Just cant find where to put the remote head in the dash. Pulled everything out that I could in the dash. couldn't find a spot with enough depth. Would somebody post a photo of where they put their remote head, and possibly what was pulled to get to it. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2019 CR launch edition. Factory towbar
220 Posts
Hi Guys, thanks for your replies. Picked up my launch edition treg, wired my redarc brake controller up, no probs, connector was in the battery box. Just cant find where to put the remote head in the dash. Pulled everything out that I could in the dash. couldn't find a spot with enough depth. Would somebody post a photo of where they put their remote head, and possibly what was pulled to get to it. Thanks in advance
Mine was put on the right side of the steering column.

·
Registered
2019 Touareg CR 3.0 TDI
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
So far I've completed the wiring for the brake controller, just need to plug it in. I'm thinking about the diode though. The brake controller is triggered by pin 3 of G508 (black/red wire) from the trailer module, but in addition to being triggered by that wire, the redarc controller also sends a 12V signal up that wire to activate the brake lights when the redarc intervenes. I'm just wondering how the trailer module will react when 12V is applied to it from the redarc (red trigger wire) back into it? If I was to install a diode, it would probably be there. I'm waiting to borrow a friends trailer to plug into the back so as to activate the trailer module and then experiment with that trigger wire.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So far I've completed the wiring for the brake controller, just need to plug it in. I'm thinking about the diode though. The brake controller is triggered by pin 3 of G508 (black/red wire) from the trailer module, but in addition to being triggered by that wire, the redarc controller also sends a 12V signal up that wire to activate the brake lights when the redarc intervenes. I'm just wondering how the trailer module will react when 12V is applied to it from the redarc (red trigger wire) back into it? If I was to install a diode, it would probably be there. I'm waiting to borrow a friends trailer to plug into the back so as to activate the trailer module and then experiment with that trigger wire.
Hi Malaudi
just got the van. The redarc isnt calibrating, and stays green, spoke to redarc tech. need 12v coming in to red trigger wire when brake lights come on. this isnt happening. need to do some fault finding tomorrow morning. brakes on van work, van brake lights come on, but no proportional. As to the diode,or not, he said definetely put it in, but only causes a problem when you manually push the button in without it. More when I find the problem

·
Registered
2019 Touareg CR 3.0 TDI
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Hi Michael,
The trailer control module is located behind the trim at the very back left side of the car. See attached picture - it's top and centre of the picture. You'll need to remove some trim there I think starting with the rear boot sill which just pulls straight up.
I'll be interested to see what you find re voltage from the signal wire to pin 3 of G508 as I assumed it will provide 12V when the trailer module detects there's a trailer connected and the brakes in the car applied. On the wiring diagramme I have that wire runs direct from pin 6 of T10 a black 10 pin connector on the trailer module to pin 3 of G508 that you've already located.

I'm hoping to borrow a trailer on the weekend so as to activate that module and see if my theory is correct. Failing that I'll make a trailer plug with resistors to simulate lights so the module thinks there's a trailer connected.

Anything further you think I can help with let me know.

Mal.
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle door

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi all, thanks for all your help. Everything is working fine. It appears the tow control module needs a load on pin6 (trailer lights) as well as pin5. Now getting 12v on pin 3 on G508. But still just got the green light. But it was only because I wasn't changing to proportional correctly. I will fit a 6amp diode at a later stage. Redarc would obviously rather we used their diode module, but if not make sure there is no stress on the diode leads.

·
Registered
2019 Touareg CR 3.0 TDI
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Hi Michael, just wondering if you installed a diode in that trigger line (pin 3 of G508 connector) or just left it out? Or if you installed a diode at all? I'm not sure how the trailer module would react to 12V being fed into it!
Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Michael, just wondering if you installed a diode in that trigger line (pin 3 of G508 connector) or just left it out? Or if you installed a diode at all? I'm not sure how the trailer module would react to 12V being fed into it!
Thanks.
Hi Mal, Haven,t put the diode in yet. Apparently has to be closer to the towbar , not in the G508 line. If you don't put it in, it only causes a problem,when the manual button is pressed. normal foot brake operation, no effect. Do you have schematics of the TCM. The anode of the diode would have to go between pin6 and Tcm, and G508 straight to p6. Thats how I read it anyway. Hope it helps

·
Registered
2019 Touareg CR 3.0 TDI
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Hi Mike, Thanks. I'll put the diode in the trigger (red wire) line but near the redarc controller as you say. I can't see any reason for it to be close to the trailer controller. It's purely to stop the redarc controller feeding 12V into the trailer controller when manually applying the brakes with the redarc. Also I don't want to break into any of the car's wiring if I don't need to. I've already got a suitable diode which I'll mount on a small heatsink.

I'll try post the wiring associated with the trailer controller shortly, but I don't have any internal circuitry of the actual trailer module.

·
Registered
679 Posts

Attachments

41 - 57 of 57 Posts