Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Touareg CR 3.0 TDI
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I'm new to this forum and also the Touareg, so please excuse any mistakes.

I'm the new owner of a launch edition 2019 Touareg, and looking to install, among other things, a Redarc Trailer Brake Controller. I see in the wiring diagram there is a 4 pin plug pre-wired for Australian models, and I'm wondering if anyone knows where this is located. I see in previous models it was under the instrument panel, but I've looked long and hard there in mine and it's not there. I'm hoping it may be near the factory fitted trailer control module on the left hand side of the luggage compartment, but I was wondering if anyone has actually located this connector before I start removing trim there to access it.

I'm hoping to draw upon, and then contribute to the expertise in this forum.

My thanks in advance,

Mal.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The plug is on a pigtail lead in the battery box, under a panel , which is under the drivers feet. I had hoped that this lead would make the brake controller easy to install, but the Sparky told me that, for whatever reason, the blue brake wire had been omitted. It is a four pin plug, but only has 3 wires!. This meant that he had to run the new blue wire to the back of the car anyway. I don't know who thinks up the Australian specs. I did read that an owner of the latest Q7 used the plug directly with no issues. That must be why the Audi costs more - you get the full wiring system!
Good Luck
Steve

·
Registered
2019 Touareg CR 3.0 TDI
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The plug is on a pigtail lead in the battery box, under a panel , which is under the drivers feet. I had hoped that this lead would make the brake controller easy to install, but the Sparky told me that, for whatever reason, the blue brake wire had been omitted. It is a four pin plug, but only has 3 wires!. This meant that he had to run the new blue wire to the back of the car anyway. I don't know who thinks up the Australian specs. I did read that an owner of the latest Q7 used the plug directly with no issues. That must be why the Audi costs more - you get the full wiring system!
Good Luck
Steve
Hi Steve,
Many thanks for the info. It looks like I may need to do the same then. I'm also planning on installing a remote controlled transceiver, which will probably have to be mounted behind the trim in the cargo compartment, so it will be another wire in the bundle I'll need to install. I'll post here once it's done!

Thanks again for your info.

Mal.

·
Registered
669 Posts
The plug is on a pigtail lead in the battery box, under a panel , which is under the drivers feet.
Went for a sticky beak to see if I got three wires or four, but cant find anything........ Am I missing something?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I found the pigtail in the battery box. It is long enough to go up into the drivers dash panel, so it might already be in that position. It is a lead with the plug covered in foam for protection.

·
Registered
2019 Touareg CR 3.0 TDI
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found the connector in the battery box as Steve said. Only three wires there as well!! At least as you said there's enough length to make it forward under the instrument panel to install the brake controller there.

·
Registered
MY16 R-Line V8 Black (7P) + MY21 R-Line V8 Black (CR)
102 Posts
Good Luck
Steve
I would appreciate what pinouts are in the lead Steve.

Could you confirm there is:
Brake Signal (+) [Black/Red],
Pos(+) [RED/White]
Gnd (-) [Brown]
in the harness/connector preinstalled.
and
Then the Brake Controller Trailer Brake Power feed (Nominally BLUE) had to be run back to your Trailer Connector.

·
Registered
2019 Touareg CR 3.0 TDI
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're correct Brickwalls. Pin 1 is ground (brown), pin 2 power (red/white), pin 3 brake signal (black/red), and pin 4 will be the wire (nominally blue) you run back to the blue wire for the trailer brake power.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I have put this together for those who has their installer looking vacant 👓📋

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks all.

I'm going with a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Controller again. Not that I tow much - quite the opposite. I find P3's inertia smarts on bumpy tracks minimises choppy braking. If a BC can tame Caravan braking on rough tracks,
- roads are no issue.

·
Registered
102 Posts
OK I have seen a 7L version of the:

[General body repairs, interior; Rep. gr. 70 ;]

and used it to remove & refit the:- [Luggage compartment trims]. And I found It was close enough to use for the 7P too.

However the CR, has sufficient differences to see if there is a CR version of the [General body repairs, interior; Rep. gr. 70 ; Luggage compartment trims] floating in the WWW ether.

·
Registered
669 Posts
OK I have seen a 7L version of the:

[General body repairs, interior; Rep. gr. 70 ;]

and used it to remove & refit the:- [Luggage compartment trims]. And I found It was close enough to use for the 7P too.

However the CR, has sufficient differences to see if there is a CR version of the [General body repairs, interior; Rep. gr. 70 ; Luggage compartment trims] floating in the WWW ether.
I will PM them to you mate

·
Registered
2019 CR Launch Edition Innovision
13 Posts
I have put this together for those who has their installer looking vacant 👓📋
Thanks for the information, I'm about to start installing the Redarc controller. Is the blue trailer brake wire already fitted to the Touareg CR or does it have to be added

·
Registered
2019 Touareg CR 3.0 TDI
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the information, I'm about to start installing the Redarc controller. Is the blue trailer brake wire already fitted to the Touareg CR or does it have to be added
Hi and congratulations on your purchase! Enjoy!

I have the same model and yes the blue wire is there as part of the towbar electronics installation. Unfortunately it only goes as far as the back left of the boot area, so you'll need to run a wire from there to the front of the car where the connector for the brake controller is. That connector has the remaining wires required in it, and a blank 4th position for that wire. I ran a 12 AWG wire from the blue wire in the boot to that existing connector, which was located in the battery box under the driver's floor. Since it involved considerable disassembly of the boot area, I took the opportunity to make up a wire bundle with spares for any future projects!!
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
2019 Touareg CR 3.0 TDI
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry about two pictures, but the single blue wire can be seen going into a white connector then white wire just to the left of centre.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry about two pictures, but the single blue wire can be seen going into a white connector then white wire just to the left of centre.
Isn't the G508 plug under the steering column used to connect the brake controller. By your diagram it has the blue wire out of pin 4. What's the connector in the battery box?

·
Registered
2019 Touareg CR 3.0 TDI
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The G508 plug was originally in the battery box in the CR model, but the cable was long enough to relocate it to run up behind the lower A pillar trim and bonnet release to the area under the steering column.
I'm also in Brisbane if I can be of any help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The G508 plug was originally in the battery box in the CR model, but the cable was long enough to relocate it to run up behind the lower A pillar trim and bonnet release to the area under the steering column.
I'm also in Brisbane if I can be of any help.
Thanks, that clears up the location of the plug. I only joined CT today so am soaking up the info available here. Can you give me any info on how to access the battery compartment as well as trim and interior panel removal required for running the blue wire
thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts