Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm almost done with my redarc Tow Pro Elite Brake controller installation.
Tho I am a bit of a do it yourselfer, I'm not normally one that would tackle something like this!
My local custom shop would not install a controller that they did not sell and they did not have these. My mechanic did not want to do it, and Volkswagen would but at $120/hr and about a million disclaimers I decided to do it myself, or at least see if I could find the plug.

I found the plug pretty easily thanks to the video on the etrailer site and was able to make the harness using the video as well and parts I ordered from Volkswagen. I have the knob installed next to the headlight switch.

I would like to know where some of you have installed the main controller? I think I recall seeing one installed in the panel with the fuses but can't seem to find that post. I don't know enough to avoid putting it somewhere that it will be in the way. I'm ok with it being exposed under the dash if that's a good place. Just would like to see where some of you have put it. Can I zip tie it somewhere? If it is ever moved, will it recalibrate itself?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I ended up sort of strapping it in the panel above the fuse box. Works for now and seems pretty secure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi all,
I've never used a brake controller as I've always towed smaller trailers without brakes. Now I'm looking to get a small toy hauler that would have brakes. Still learning about what brake controller I need.

Is this unit better than the under dash mount units I've seen in the past? Does it do the same thing? I currently have a '17 Wolfsburg with the factory tow set up.

TIA

-Craig

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi all,

I've never used a brake controller as I've always towed smaller trailers without brakes. Now I'm looking to get a small toy hauler that would have brakes. Still learning about what brake controller I need.

Is this unit better than the under dash mount units I've seen in the past? Does it do the same thing? I currently have a '17 Wolfsburg with the factory tow set up.

TIA

-Craig

I think it does the same thing as any proportional brake controller. I picked this brand because it is discreet. Also, I’m left handed and thought having the emergency braking on my left side might be helpful.
Some of the under dash versions require that they be installed level. That’s not the case with the redarc. Once it is installed it learns which way is up while you drive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
REDARC Trailer Brake Controller

Knitinfree,
I just wanted to say hello and to thank you for educating me in the REDARC Controller. Because of you, I also purchased it and installed it myself. You gave me some good ideas and I like how small and concealed it is.
Here are a few pics I took last night after I finished.
Sorry the pics are sideways, I don’t know how to orientate them properly.

Cheers,
Dennis

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks great! Is it strapped under the dash panel? I was not sure where to place the controller that would not interfere with something else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes’m I have it zip-tied under the dash. It’s is directly under the steering wheel, sitting on a metal support. It is not touching anything and it seems to be a good location.
Your idea of putting it in the fuse box/panel area was going to be my second choice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your idea of putting it in the fuse box/panel area was going to be my second choice.

I’d like to take credit but I saw another poster either here or somewhere else install the controller in the fuse box, tho he attached it with adhesive. I never could find that post again to refer to!

·
Registered
1 Posts
For those of you who have installed the REDARC controller, did you have to add a relay to the wiring similar to what is required for the P3 controller to prevent the brake drag issue noted?

·
Registered
171 Posts
For those of you who have installed the REDARC controller, did you have to add a relay to the wiring similar to what is required for the P3 controller to prevent the brake drag issue noted?
I Installed the Redarc and did not install a relay and I don't think it needs one as the brake controller does not supply any voltage that I can measure if there is no trailer attached.
When I was testing the installation it drove me crazy looking for the voltage from the brake with my meter until I finally hooked up my LED bulb adapter to the car and the trailer was detected and then the brake voltage to the Redarc was detected and the color of the light changes with the brake voltage.
If there is no trailer then there is no voltage and if there is no brake from the car with the trailer attached there is no brake current to the trailer either (at least on my 2014 TDI).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts