Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a certified-used Toureg from my local VW dealer. I think it was a fair price for a model w/Nav - although it has a very low VIN number so it is missing functions such as tire pressure sensors, etc. It does seem to have the winter package due to the ski bag and the wheel heating function. But it has electric seats with no memory, no electric folding mirrors, and no downward tilting mirror.

This board is great since I was able to see that some TSBs had not been done. I experienced, on the first night, the cranking noise during slow turns that has been reported. I have also experienced the window condensation. I do have an appointment to try and take care some of these and others.

I do have a couple of questions:

(1) The red lights under the rear view mirror are always on. Wondering if that is the case - since I cannot figure a way to turn them off.

(2) There is no visible indication that the steering wheel heat is on - thus I do not know whether it is on or off. Any hints? Or do I have to wait until winter?

(3) Has anyone installed the front cover (bra)? How difficult is this? Does it involve drilling?

I do like the car, handling, interior.....I decided to try a used one first and maybe if it works out target getting a new '06. The certified-used did come with an extended warranty of 2 years over that mfg - so it is a better warranty than what I would have gotten with a new one (7 years -70K bumper to bumper).

Thanks all....

gss (04 V6 Reed Green w/Winter Pkg, old PP1(?), NAV/SS2 VIN 4D0000XX).

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
spaceboy said:
(1) The red lights under the rear view mirror are always on. Wondering if that is the case - since I cannot figure a way to turn them off.

(2) There is no visible indication that the steering wheel heat is on - thus I do not know whether it is on or off. Any hints? Or do I have to wait until winter?

(3) Has anyone installed the front cover (bra)? How difficult is this? Does it involve drilling?
1) no. Ambience lighting.

2) Early models didn't have the indicator. No one has figured out how/if it is possible to get an indicator to come on. Maybe replacing the instrument panel. Maybe replacing the controller that activates the heat. Maybe just a VAGCOM setting. Unknown.

3) I haven't installed one but someone here or on Vortex did. I don't believe any drilling is required. Most people are installing clear bras though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks....

Spockcat...

You are the Touareg guru....I see your postings everywhere...

Thanks for the info...I did find some other postings regarding the wheel heating and I am thinking that I just have the button and no function and that maybe I have the ski bag because it was an early model and happened to be included. Oh well.....

About the clear bra....have not seen one of those...is there a webpage where I can see one and maybe order? Thanks...

gss

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
Touareg Guru, that's what the site tells me. I am awaiting an upgrade.

Yes, early models did have the ski sack included probably due to a parts shortage of standard rear seats or the blank panels. If you have winter package, you also have heated REAR seats.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Heated wheel

I also have the Ski Bag, and the "BUTTON" for the heated steeringwheel, but I don't think I have the option of the heated wheel. Seems strange to have the button but not the option?
Any help would be appreciated. :joy:

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
Re: Heated wheel

aarolyba said:
I also have the Ski Bag, and the "BUTTON" for the heated steeringwheel, but I don't think I have the option of the heated wheel. Seems strange to have the button but not the option?
Any help would be appreciated. :joy:
Everyone has the button. It is cheaper for VW to make one set of controls, all with the button than two sets of controls; one with and one without the button.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have seen a Treg with an bra on , personly it didnt do it for me. It spoiled the looks of the car from front end.
Although if you are using gravel roads or roads with loose tar quite often then the bra would be the way to go by.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Touareg Bra - Continued....

Bought a bra....and I am still undecided about whether to use it or not...

First of all...it comes with restrictions that make you wonder whether it is worth the effort...but what caught my eye is the requirement that it should not be left on to dry on the car...so I guess when it rains I have to take the darn thing off before it starts drying??? It says that the paint may be damaged if left to dry on the vehicle. So it looks like a fair-weather bra - maybe need to take it off if it is going to rain?

I started installing the hood portion and I was freaked out when it asks to pull a plug towards the rear and it came off with a bunch of wires...seeing this discouraged me from messing with it and I just put the plug back in and put the bra back in the box while I think it over. Maybe I am overreacting a little - this is my first bra - but I just that I did not want break something.

I might end up using it for long road trips instead...but that means that I have to tackle the installation one of these days...

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I have tried using bras on cars and they are not worth the effort.

1. They look ugly
2. They can get sand, dirt behind them, vibrate on the road and scratch the car
3. You are not supposed to leave them on if they get wet
4. If you leave them on for a long time (several years) some car's paint will show slight fading compared to the area protected by the bra, not good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.