Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Vendor
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you install aftermarket wheels with thin spokes brake calipers are often being exposed. Brakes get dirty and sometimes don't really look very nice. However you can dress up the calipers with special covers created by MGP. They are inspired by large sport brakes like Brembo and Baer, and they are addressed to drivers who doesn't really want to change factory designed brake components and simply wants to get that stylish look. Caliper covers don't improve the brake performance or something, and work only as a styling component.

MGP® - Volkswagen Touareg 2014-2015 Caliper Covers with MGP Engraving

http://www.carid.com/2014-volkswagen-touareg-caliper-covers/mgp-caliper-covers-55560869.html

We've found this picture on the Internet, so it is used for the reference only.

These Calipers are 1000% safe on the other hand. Designed to be used on wheels with 17" diameter and larger (this size is needed to accommodate the calipers between the back side of the rim and brake calipers. Manufacturer also claims that they reduce the caliper operating temperature and protects them from dust.

We've found this picture on the Internet, so it is used for the reference only.

- Listed as a confirmed fit for Volkswagen Touareg TDI Executive / TDI Lux / TDI R-Line / TDI Sport / V6 Executive / V6 Lux / V6 R-Line / V6 Sport 2014-2015;
- Makes ordinary brake calipers look great;
- Less time and effort than painting with better results;
- Made from 6061-T6 aerospace aluminum;
- Hydraulically formed to fit each caliper;
- Available customized with your choice of color, engraving and bolt color;
- Comes with everything required for an easy installation;
- Backed by a 3-year warranty against manufacturer’s defects;
- Proudly made in the USA;

Also guys, don't forget to check out this MGP Caliper Covers installation video:

Would you install a set of those calipers on your VW?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
NO! i think this looks silly. i would powder coat the calipers in red or any color and make them look really cool, but this plastic looks silly, its something that BMW owners would do :D :D :D (no offense to anyone)

·
Super Moderator
3,812 Posts
I just about lost my right arm whilst putting my fingers down my throat....
The next fad will be Plastic Wheel Covers, or Wheel Spinners.........

pukepuke

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Nope - just paint the Brembos
Indeed.

Why on earth would you cover up the real McCoy and add possible heat dissipation problems to the calipers as well?

Totally daft idea.

·
Vendor
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Of course if money is not the question and you are looking for some performance or legit stuff so other car nuts could give you thumbs up - caliper covers is definitely a wrong product. However some of the drivers are simply looking for some easy to do appearance mods, which is what the caliper covers are.

They don't pretend to be Brembo, and installation will only take 15 minutes. This is much easier and faster than powdercoating + you can make a custom engraving, like VW logo or Touareg name.

I am a car guy, and I can not justify caliper covers on performance orientated cars like Audi R8, Mustang, Subaru WRX STI, but I am totally ok with them on some regular daily drivers.

As for the heath reduction, looks like the covers allow some ventilation. Check out the video I found on YouTube:

What do you think?

·
Registered
26 Posts
It appears the test for heat reduction (cooling) the factory calipers is extremely flawed

The higher temps shown on the factory calipers is the heat being radiated out from the brake system, the lower temp with the covers on could be from the cover insulating the caliper and retaining heat in the system (increasing brake fluid / pad temperatures)

Are you selling these by the way ? If so strange way of going about it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
9 Participants
Cairo94507
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing