Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I painted all 4 callipers on the Touareg. Changed the pads, rotors (discs), emergency shoes.
While bleeding the last calliper, the bleeder broke off flush on the housing. What a job getting that out.
All better now.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What a job getting the broken bleeder out.
Had to remove the newly painted calliper, attempted to remove the broken seized bleeder screw with a tapered screw extractor, didn’t work so drilled slightly larger hole, used larger screw extractor, still no joy.
Would have been better with a fluted or spline type stud extractor set but didn’t have any)
Started to get concerned as I didn’t want to replace the calliper yet!
Drilled the hole out to slightly smaller (0.5mm) than the thread size which is M8 x 1.25 pitch and use a starting tap and slowly start removing the bleeder screw threads bit by bit, I then used a plug tap and further removed swarf and bits from seized bleeder, ground down the edge of a bottoming tap to get all the way to the bottom. Reground a drill bit cutting edge to the same taper ( +2 deg) as the bleeder screw and in a CCW direction, cleaned up the bleeder screw seat.
Used blueing ink on the bleeder screw end and screwed it in. First time, the seat did not show a nice fine edge on the bleeder screw, drilled again, CCW and tried again with the blueing ink. This time, a nice edge consistently all the way round. Torqued the bleeder screw slightly more than normal. Nice and tight with any thread breakdown.
Pressure tested to 1000psi using modified hand pump... Success (phew)

Fitted the calliper back on the Touareg and bled system. Pedal nice and hard and good feeling through the pedal.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
gazaflash
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing