Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today outside my office I spotted a V10 with what looked like quite interesting recovery points. I've not seen them before. There was one each side. It didn't look as sturdy as my light bar, but certainly more robust than the OEM towing eye. Looking at the scrapes, it looks like he's used it. Maybe he even hangs a wich off it.

I've seen the vehicle before, so the next time I spot it, I'll see if I can attach a note or bale the guy up and get some details.

Photo attached (sorry for the quality, straight off the phone).

Cheers

Bob

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,833 Posts
Looks to me like a mounting point for a bumper bar. The hole isn't big enough for any type of towing hook, just a bolt.

As for the OEM recovery points, as long as you are pulling straight, I bet they are plenty strong.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'd put money on it being for some sort of bumper/ front end protection or light bar.

No self-respecting four wheeler would reduce his approach angle with something that protrudes down that far. :p

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never thought about a bumper. Might be what it's for. I thought it odd as well because to me it would certainly limit front clearance.

Gray Matter - I hope that chain doesn't let go, you might be in for some front end repair.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
9,540 Posts
Gray Matter - I hope that chain doesn't let go, you might be in for some front end repair.

Bob
It is not his Treg since he lives in the US and that is a right hand drive model. I think he just put the picture up for reference.

·
Registered
582 Posts
They could also be anchor points during shipping??

They look to flimsy and would bend out with a good recovery.

It does look strange.

I guess it is installed on the cross member, I have completed a similar mounting arrangement for my driving lights cross bar and HF antenna mount.

The cross member is U shaped with both edges bent up, I am not sure if the cross member is sufficiently strong enough to be a secure recovery point.

The only secure recovery points are the provided holes where you use the screw in hook. The photo Gray Matter posted is great, the cross bar stops the recovery hooks from collapsing inwards under high tension.

Spokcat, some years ago you took several photos of a winch, have you any more details on the mounting arrangement?

Regards

Gerald

Attachments

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yah, you're right it's probably sumar who frequents the oz forum

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's all bit clearer now

Got another snap today. It seems to be a work in progress nudge bar.

Cheers

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Maybe he should get a second opinion on the styling of his work-in-progress...;)

·
Registered
582 Posts
Wow, It puts a fair dint to the approach angle!

Not much good for vehicles with parking sensors.

If this it to mount a couple of lights, there is a better approach, see my mounting bar approach.

Regards

Gerald

Attachments

·
Banned
376 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
that does not seam strong enough to do any kind of
puling.the factory tow eye is still the best.

·
Registered
268 Posts
That does look very similar the mount point for the light/push bar I have installed. Definitely not a good choice as a hard point for towing!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Went to ARB today in au to request help with points to attach a snatch strap to be towed or tow someone else. The said they could help. I'm guessing it's because the 7p isn't a tonka truck🤔

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Went to ARB today in au to request help with points to attach a snatch strap to be towed or tow someone else. The said they could help. I'm guessing it's because the 7p isn't a tonka truck🤔
I did a bit of actual research on the strength of the stock 7P tow eyelets and attachment points. You might find this thread interesting, my findings start on post 33 ;

1 - 16 of 16 Posts