Club Touareg Forum banner

Rear View Camera Available for Touareg ???

7K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  spockcat 
#1 ·
Hi,

Does anybody know of a 3rd party rear view camera that can be fitted for the Touareg? I know we have the Parking Assistance option.....but my wife really likes the rear view camera in the Lexus RX330......and I need to allay her fears so we can get the Touareg ...... :dance:

#4 ·
Why would you need that screen, how come you can't just hook it up to your NAV screen? People don't usually reverse more than about 5mph anyway -- and once someone finds a solution to that video-in-motion problem, it would be a moot point (the speed).

#10 ·
Hooked up a rear view camera to my NAV with the AV adapter from Spockcat. Nice. It was $59.99 from Fry's Electronics. It has 6 Infrared LEDs so that you can see in the dark.I don't hink I'll use the audio feed, but hooked it up anyhow. I'll route the wires nicely when I do the fog light mod. Temporary install time: 2 minutes.

Cameras are cheap and small. Look for one with a 12VDC output AC adapter, so that you can plug and play.

#11 ·
hspiva said:
Hooked up a rear view camera to my NAV with the AV adapter from Spockcat. Nice. It was $59.99 from Fry's Electronics. It has 6 Infrared LEDs so that you can see in the dark.I don't hink I'll use the audio feed, but hooked it up anyhow. I'll route the wires nicely when I do the fog light mod. Temporary install time: 2 minutes.

Cameras are cheap and small. Look for one with a 12VDC output AC adapter, so that you can plug and play.
Do you have a brand name and model number for the camera?

#12 ·
#13 ·
I'll check for the brand and model info. I tried and handled a bunch, so can't recall immediately.

Don't go wireless. I tried that first. With the RF already exsting in and around my house and the Treg, I got audio feedback and a poor picture quality. It's only a single wire to route for a clear picture.

When I went to the security camera aisle, I had many choices. All were between 50 and 100 dollars.

#17 ·
I didn't think of this earlier, but upon looking at old info for a BMW I was going to buy and the kits available for it, if you just plain old add a camera to the rear of the vehicle and run its video to the front through either the NAV display or some other, there's a small problem: the video will be reversed. Before it gets to the display, it will need to be mirror imaged or else you'll end up backing into the very thing you want to avoid (because obstructions to the right of your vehicle will show up on the left side of the display, and vice versa).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.