Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of removing the air suspension system completely to swap over into my Q7.

The one thing I can't figure out is the rear suspension level sensors. I removed them completely, but I was at the partsyard the other day looking for a set of coil suspension to swap in, and they had an 04 V8 model just like mine but without air suspension, and it had the rear level sensors.

According to the wiring diagrams, it uses the front sensors for the HID headlights, which my Q7 also has so I'm not swapping those over. I'm fine with putting the rear sensors back in to the Touareg, but just not sure where they are supposed to be wired to.

·
Registered
474 Posts
For air suspension you need all 4 levelling sensors. If you have steel springs and HID lights, you need the FL and RL levelling sensors. However, if you're converting from air to steel suspension, you need to re-wire the levelling sensors. Cars with air suspension have all 4 sensors wired to the level control module. Cars with steel suspension have the 2 left sensors wired to the headlight range module.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's exactly what I originally thought, which is why I was shocked to find an 04 V8 Touareg with HID lights at the parts yard with steel suspension and it had the rear level sensors as well. I thought maybe it was originally an air car that someone converted to steel, but the option sticker didn't have 1BK code. I guess I could go back and investigate the wiring to see where those rear sensors lead to.

·
Registered
474 Posts
As I said, for the headlight you have one front left sensor, and one rear left sensor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you're saying the HID lights with steel suspension uses only the front left sensor and rear left sensor? that's really interesting. The parts yard car I was looking at the left side as well, couldn't get to the right side as there was a giant puddle. So I wrongly assumed that the right side rear sensor was there when in fact it shouldn't be there. That also makes sense as the wiring diagrams show them as "Light Range Regulation Sensor 1" and "Light Range Regulation Sensor 2" on the headlight circuit but the air suspension diagram has them labeled front left, rear left, front right, rear right.

Thank you so much! That has solved the mystery for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts