Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2016 Touareg TDI Lux with 61,000 miles was leaking oil so I brought it to the dealer yesterday. Manager said they hunted for quite a while to eliminate some possibilities and found it's the rear main seal. He is a Touareg enthusiast (owns one) and said he has never seen this problem with a TDI at his shop in the 15 years he's been there. That doesn't feel great. He said they won't know why it's leaking until they take it apart.
Regardless, it's covered under warranty and I have a loaner for as long as I need. That's great news, but I am curious why it happened and is it a sign of something else wrong that caused it.
Does anyone have thoughts on this?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's been tons of rear main seal leaks on TDI Touaregs.... not sure how he's never seen\heard of one in 15 years.
Yes, I just did a search and I see that. Strange indeed. I will say I just don't see many Touaregs around here so it's possible this dealer didn't see this problem.
Regardless I'm wondering if there is anything else I should put my eye on.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, I mean regarding your mention of "keeping up with maintenance"... most users at that milage would have had 6 oil and filter changes and little else....
I just do the recommended maintenance that's in the manual and take care of anything that isn't right (noises, leaks, etc.) as soon as I notice it. I keep the outside and inside clean too. It looks 1 yr old, not 6.

·
Registered
'14 TDI Execline
2,126 Posts
As long as you've done the brake fluid flushes, fuel filter changes and all those other things as per manual. If you tow I suggest getting your diffs and transfer case fluid changed too...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As long as you've done the brake fluid flushes, fuel filter changes and all those other things as per manual. If you tow I suggest getting your diffs and transfer case fluid changed too...
I do tow. Do you know offhand if those last items are recommended at a certain mileage in the book? I can't check - book's in the car, car's in the shop!

·
Registered
2013 7P Touareg R line V8 4.2 TDI
529 Posts
If you go into the maintenance section in the Erwin manual there are details about hot climate and towing and other transmission oil change intervals. Unfortunately no one reads its including the dealers. In any case even without this there is no f**king way that any transmission oil fill is "lifetime" and for VW to claim that without a definition of "lifetime" is absolute BS.

Personally I would change the diff and transfer case oils every 60k kms if towing and hot climate and maybe 80k kms if normal use with no towing and no hot climate. Transmission oil, I would drop the pan and change oil every 30k kms as you only do a partial replacement each time and change the filter every 60k kms.

But I have only had 50 years experience as mechanical engineer working on machinery and gear box reliability plus maintaining many cars and race cars so what would I know compared to the perceived wisdom and statements of the VW marketing department and their perception of lifetime as being anything past the warranty period :LOL:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the heads up on this. I've read it on these forums but didn't pay too much attention. At first I couldn't figure why VW would say lifetime if it wasn't, but then I got in a conversation with my wife about it. She's no VW fan - nothing to do with the cars, everything to do with all the other "stuff" they've done over the years. She hands down thought they'd set customers up for a problem on purpose (after the warranty was over) if it meant more cash in pocket. I'm not quite as cynical.

But back to cars, I'll do the "extra" maintenance.

VW marketing department and their perception of lifetime as being anything past the warranty period
Totally get this comment now

·
Registered
49 Posts
Not to hijack this post but I have recently been having problems with overheating while towing in hot weather. Car has about 70k miles on it and has not had these fluids changed that I know of. Could bad fluids contribute to the overheating problem? I figured it was just related to cooling system problem but that has been checked and appears ok. Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts