Club Touareg Forum banner

Rear Locker Retrofit Research

78K views 119 replies 32 participants last post by  AlexUK 
#1 ·
Hello all,

First off, there are many people here with fantastic knowledge of VW's / Regs. That being said, please do not reply:

"why would you want to" or "just sell your and buy one" or my favourite, "I'm not technical and I've never done it, but it can't / shouldn't be done".

With that out of the way :) here we go.

* I want to retrofit a rear locker on my 2009 V6 TDI * I'm complying a list of Known's and unKnown's before I start hacking and spending.

Please help me with things you KNOW! and/or have done before.

The wiring diagram shows these modules:
- Differential Control Module (high / low / coupling)
- Differential Lock Module (centre lock)
- Differential Position & Oil Temp Sensors
- Differential Lock Motor & Lock Position Sensors

Known
- no RDL option for Canadian 2009 TDI models
- there was an option somewhere in the world because my 4x4 display has a circle on the rear diff and I have the fuses
- not as easy as buying a locked rear diff and mechanically installing. The motor is a pulsed stepper motor with feedback to module
- VAG COM can turn on the RDL option

unKnown
- if wiring pigtails for locked rear diff are on all models regardless of option
- if RDL requires a separate "Diff Lock control Module" or just a "Diff Lock Motor and Sensor" module
- If seperate "Diff Lock motor / sensor Module", where does it go or is it built into rear diff lock stepper motor.
- if there's a way to hack the system to manually select lockers in "high"

*Both the dif lock and dif control modules have many open numbers that I'm assuming are for the Rear Diff Lock and Motor sensors module

See less See more
#3 ·
Why on earth would you want one? :confused:

It would be cheaper to trade your car for one that has it fitted than try a DIY.:rolleyes:

I'm not a techie but you'll be opening a veritable can of worms and biting off more than you can :chew: even if it can be done, which I doubt.

:evil_laugh:

Good luck and don't forget to post pix when you do it!

#4 ·
I searched for one with a locking rear diff. Much better off road than the so called "electronic" diff lock. I know, these aren't dedicated 4 wheelers, but I come from a 4 wheeling background and know the benefits first hand of having a rear locker.

To the OP: I wonder if you can drive the stepper motor with a micro controller?

#5 ·

Attachments

#6 ·

Attachments

#7 ·
Page with all the diagrams for the rear suspension

Sus Link

#8 ·
All right, now we're getting somewhere.

The electric motor is the only visible real difference.

Many wreckers sell "locking" and "non-locking" diffs, but I've seen both with and without the the electric motor. Tomorrow I'm going to hunt under my reg to see if I have the un-used wiring in place for a locking diff.

FSJ guy said:
I wonder if you can drive the stepper motor with a micro controller?
I don't know the details of the VW stepper motor, but most stepper motors take digital or square pulse waves. The motors usually just turn and there's a micro switch that feeds back to the control module when it is at limit. Again, I'm not sure about the diff lock stepper, but it probably pulses clockwise, reverse current and pulse counter clockwise, and has a limit switch feed back.

Anyone with access to a stepper to do some testing?

I have a few Reg "study guides" that explain some technical details on the Touareg. I'll see if I can post them.

#10 ·
All right, now we're getting somewhere.

The electric motor is the only visible real difference.

Many wreckers sell "locking" and "non-locking" diffs, but I've seen both with and without the the electric motor. Tomorrow I'm going to hunt under my reg to see if I have the un-used wiring in place for a locking diff.
From the parts break down its about 10 additional parts on the differential itself, and then you're going to need new locking diff axel stubs.

If you can source a wrecked unit, you'll be able to save a few grand I would think.

Part Number: 0AB525016P
Differential assy W/LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL Online Price $2,913.68
(Sounds like the whole unit, not sure if it includes the motors)

Part Number: 0AB525284C
stub shaft W/LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL Left $273.90

Part Number: 0AB525283C
stub shaft W/LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL Right $273.90

#13 ·
Ebay.de
0AB525016P | eBay

email each breaker and ask them if they have the control module and wiring loom and the centre console selector switch. ( it has High/low centre and rear diff lock manual positions

Use your best google translate skills. They are generally quite helpfull.

I have used them for some parts in the past ( Audio Amplifier for €100 vs a €1000 etc )

I had a 2004 V8 and now own a 2009 v6 TDI Both with Air suspension and RDL's

#15 ·
thanks for the info. did you add the RDL to your 2009 tdi or was it factory option? i see the diff's you referenced were the same part number i had found using a VW parts reference. to my knowledge no RDL on 2009 tdi's in Canada. There is the odd V6 gas Touareg with RDL in Canada but by my research it is not the diff required for an 2009 v6 tdi.

p.s. my first trip to SA was in Feb 2017- beautiful country- loved Capetown and Table Mountain ! Saw a couple of Touareg V8 tdi's in SA- not available here in Canada- nor is the Amarok.

#16 ·
Hi Dellc, glad you enjoyed Cape Town and SA

My 2009 is factory optioned with Air and RDL. I think in SA the Air suspension only came with the "offroad" package hence they all have RDL.
At least those I looked at before buying since I will never drive a Touareg without the Air Suspension, in my opinion it makes them just so much more comfortable and dynamic.

Mine does not have power seats though, so I bought a set of seats from Ebay.de and then realised my car does not have the loom for the Memory seats. So I never actually took it further than that. Seats only cost $100 on auction. I also got a set of 17" wheels (T3) to use as my offroading set. The 18's with road rubber don't do so great.

I would love a V8 TDI
I once saw a Namibia registered W12 at a traffic light. You don't get them in SA.

Your conversion is highly likely to be more trouble than it's worth though.
I simply used the part no you supplied in my search. But you can clearly see the stepper motor on the side of the ebay pictures.

#19 ·
LOL. Maybe it's more of another component on your vehicle? Tires? Driver? haha...kidding. No I mean it would be cool but what a nightmare to try to install one. Unless your getting super gnarly and climbing massive boulders, I am not sure it is needed. All the guys at the overland Expo this weekend here in Flagstaff did not use them. Some did. Expedition Overland has 3 toyota's, 4runner, Tacoma and Land Cruiser, none of them have rear lockers and besides suspension, the rest of the car is fairly stock except with second battery, S-pod and air compressor added. They said they never felt the need for one, adds extra weight. They have been through all parts of the world with them, never needed it. I think VW not adding them to later models was to reduce weight and in all honesty how often is it really used? I'd work on driving technique over relying on a rear locker as well as good tires.
I am going for General next round, Red letter ones. I have Hercules (cooper) Terra Trac II. Nice tire. Milestar tire is a newer one that most of these guys are using.

#22 ·
Seriously, the rear locker is a cool option, but isn't necessary to do serious off road. Good off road skills, understanding how your Treg works and how to use it, and the right tires and pressure are the most important points in my opinion. Adding a rear locker would be expensive, probably make you bald, and wouldn't help with the most important points.

The Tregs EDL in low manual 1 is something to be reckoned with (considering ESP is switched off). I have crawled out and over many things with this set up. Oh and I am running BFG All Terrain TA K/Os.

#24 ·
I agree. It's a cool option to carry around but nothing beats good driving skills and knowledge and good tires. I have also crawled out of and into places that others may need a rear locker for. I have also driven through many feets of snow with no issues, I live in Flagstaff Arizona at 7,000 Ft. Lots of snow, lots of rocks and back country. Never an issue.

I honestly need nothing more except maybe another 1" lift. My 245/70/17 added about 1/2" to the lift but I am also feeling the sway a bit more. BFG are a good tire but there are better ones now. BFG All Terrain TA K/O have a 40 year old design which has done well but Milestar, Cooper, Hercules, Nitto and others make some superb tires. I went with Hercules based on cost and they are made by cooper. So far they are good but I may not do them again. I want a stiffer sidewall to handle the weight of the car loaded.

#23 ·
This might be my next project......? Time to do some research...

#26 ·
Rear diff locks are like extra horsepower. There if you need it. And those who have it never complain about NOT using it.

But when you NEED to use it, you sure notice it when it's not there. LOL!!

Personal preference: I would rather use my diff lock versus getting out and laying down traction aids to get past an obstacle.

But to add factory rear locker to a Touareg? Too expensive. Might as well find one already equipped. Apparently even the AXLE shafts are different....

#27 ·
Is there anything stopping one from simply installing the locking pumpkin and axles, then properly wiring a switch for actuation?

Throw factory out the window- I just want a locker. Yeah, in a couple years I'll get an FSI V8 or maybe a V10 with air and a locker but this is my first Touareg and I want me a locker.

#28 ·
Nothing is stopping you at all. You just need to source the parts and have at it. Just know nothing is prewired for that option and you will have to do it all. Not to mention it will not be cheap. I don't see the great need for the rear locker and I have been off road with both of mine which do not have it. If you plan on mudding your Treg then maybe, but normal off road stuff I have not been anywhere that has required it.

#29 ·
I think this may be my next Retrofit. Looking at the circuit diagram, and module location, seem s to be a relatively easy/straight forward job. Mechanically it is simply a swap out and replace with a locking unit. Electrically, involves building a wiring harness, changing over the selector switch and enablement using VCDS.

There aren't very many 3.0 TDI's in AU with rear diff locks.. Nothing like being different...... ?.

Stuart.....