Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Project Start

I know its small but it is a start..............

Stuart.....

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
How "REAL" do you want it........... I DO real !!!! Would love to be able to take up the challenge of fitting up both front and rear lockers, but from what I can gather, the front option was only applicable to the T1.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:- )

Too bad it wasn't as simple as two wires, power and ground.... <sigh>
Really is't not that far away from that level of simplicity, after you acquire a locking diff assembly.

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't you need a rear diff can bus module, too? <???>
Absolutely, including its mounting bracket. You also need to fabricate a wiring harness for the outside and one for inside. I have still to go through the wiring diagrams in any detail, but as soon as I have done it, I will post a proposed solution for the crew to review... :)

Stuart..

·
Registered
710 Posts
How "REAL" do you want it........... I DO real !!!! Would love to be able to take up the challenge of fitting up both front and rear lockers, but from what I can gather, the front option was only applicable to the T1.
Whoops! First glance I thought it had the front locker logo, but alas its just the rear! :nerd:

I hear that! I'd love to get both front and rear lockers! When I first sought out mine, I had never thought of checking for locker options... We live, learn, retrofit!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Is that the actual switch you found, or the pic from the Russian site?
Whoops! First glance I thought it had the front locker logo, but alas its just the rear! :nerd:
Yeah, faked news, intenference, blah-blah-blah...
Count how many diffs icons there (see pics attached)!

Attachments

·
Registered
710 Posts
Volkswagen Touareg - First Drive
"The left most rotary knob controls the all-wheel-drive system settings and has "high", "auto", "low", center differential lock, center and rear differential lock, and if equipped with a front differential, a front, center and rear differential lock position. "

https://www.motoring.com.au/volkswagen-touareg-4580/
"All the Touaregs get VW’s dual-range version of the 4MOTION four-wheel-drive system. Low range is dialled in (literally) via a console twist knob as is a centre diff lock function (electronic front and rear diff locks are optional)."

Still searching around to see what I can dig up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
something ive been thinking about lately, any updates on this or anyone know if someone has successfully powered the locking motor independently?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Nikoloz has WIP

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Bit fast their Nikoloz has front as WIP

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
959 Posts
W ork
I n
P rogress

It’s a ambitious project and probably will never occur, I can tell you firsthand as I’ve been trying to sell a rear locker kit, 100% complete and saw firsthand the lack of buyers at a low price. I was jerked around by someone here for several months that was close to local with many excuses when it cam time to pay!

Doubtful more that 2 people will ever do the front conversion, but people with no money or skills will be first in line!

If you say you want something and agree to pay, DO SO! Rant over,

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Work In Progress ... ie a project still not complete

·
Registered
90 Posts
I guess OP is not going to make this happen. I'm sourcing parts then I'll be creating my own project hopefully detailing what I had to do to get it to work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm tempted to do this by just fitting a manual switch for the rear diff lock. Then you don't have to be in low ratio. Will the traction control/ABS know or care without a rear diff controller? Could set it up so you have to be stopped and in neutral to engage.
Is it just the differential that gets changed out or do I need new rear drive shaft/axles?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts