Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2004 Touareg V8 has given a few problems since new 2 months ago. Here is the latest. My wife opened the rear hatch to hear a loud pop. Now the rear hatch will not open past about half way and then only with extreme force and it will not stay open. Anyone else with this problem?

She went dead overnight after only a week then the key got stuck in the ignition. Called VW Roadside to the house, they jumped it off and after the warning lights were reset at VW, it has not done it again.

The front speakers seen to vibrate sometimes at low or high volumes. Should not be typical for the money these things cost.

Love the Treg and the attention it gets, but don't care much for all the first year glitches yet to be resolved. Patiently awaiting the new Audi A7 (Pikes Peak) or the streched Treg next year.

· Registered
2 Posts
Rear Hatch Broken

The rear hatch problem is a serious one. Our Touareg is 8 months old and has been in shop 4 times trying to fix this problem They've replaced the struts, and the frame mounts.. Nothing works. Within 1-10 cycles after it is 'fixed', pop, a strut jumps off. Gate will only open 1/2 way, weighs a ton, hard to close, and strut(s) rattle when you turn..

Would love to hear others experience on this issue.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We just picked the Treg up yesterday from the dealership after almost a month without good use of the cargo area. According to the dealer (Jack Ingram Motors, Montgomery, Alabama) this is the only case they have ever heard of. I was also informed that they have never heard of the windshield condensation problem either so who knows what they know! As a very loyal VW/Audi owner, the Treg has given more problems than any other VW/Audi product I currently or have previously owned. Love the truck, hate the first year glitches.

· Registered
6 Posts
hatch problem, key stuck, and lights flashing--all at once!

We have had our Touareg since the last few days of March 2004. It is in the shop for the 3rd or 4th time JUST FOR THE HATCH....that's not counting the other problems. Two of the times, the dealer has kept our car 7 or 8 DAYS with no offer of a "warranty rental"! We have not heard the loud pop nor have we had a strut pop off but....(this is lengthy but covers of the problem, I think)

The car dies, key won't come out. Now, after sitting in the car for 30 minutes in the heat yesterday in 100 degree weather and 2:30 in the afternoon, to document EVERYTHING that was happening, this is what I found.

It died at the dentist's office and the office people told me that the alarm had gone off while I was in the chair but they didn't know who's car it was at the time.until I went back into the office to cool off. When I went out to the car to get in.....the door wouldn't open. The alarm went off and I had to figure out how to stop it as I hadn't had it go off before. I noticed I could hear the hatch motor moving the hatch up and down, up and down....previously noted to the dealer and they had ordered a new motor to be installed tomorrow (Wed, 8/10).

I had told the dealer it was like "Close Encounters of the Third Time" and I don't think they've believed me....til yesterday. The only thing that wasn't happening was the papers weren't flying around in the cab. WHEN THE HATCH IS MOVING UP AND DOWN, the warning lights are flashing, the headlights are going on and off, on and off, and yesterday, the windshield wipers began going and the seat moved itself. The dealer FINALLY witnessed most of this as I sat in the car about 30 minutes and each time the hatch STOPPED (about 10-12 minutes into its "thing"), I would try to start the motor. This while waiting for VW's AAA who should know us on a first-name basis by now.

I think that the time it finally started was when the hatch had stopped and I turned the key FIRST TO THE LEFT...then to the right. Don't know if that is the "key" but that's when it finally started it and I was on the phone with VW AAA a 2nd time when I got it started. So, I drove it directly to the dealer and ran inside to get someone to witness it. They could not believe the "Close Encounters" that I was talking about was happening right before their eyes.

I'm not sure if this is coincidental or not, but when thinking about what we did BEFORE all of this...there has been a few of the times that we have gone on a trip the prior day to it's "dieing". The prior day, we had driven 175 miles into Long Beach (Calif) and then back home via Riverside each way. That evening (and also a few of the other times now that we think of it), the "side light is on" green light on the screen (can't remember exactly what it says) comes on and a LOUD buzzer rings. Haven't known what to do or what it means but it stops when I close my driver door and happens when the motor is running and I open my driver door. The trip prior to that was to Sacramento (about a 900 mile trip) and the Touareg ran fine til the day after getting home. What a mess it would have been to break down in northern California! And, this was 3 days after receiving the car that we ordered on January 1st!

Oh! Each time that I tried to start the motor after the hatch stopped moving up and down, the hatch would begin its thing again.....only to lock the key in the ignition again. When the hatch stops doing its thing, I can get the key out of the ignition. I'm NOT sure that happened any other time, only this time because before we had waited for AAA and they couldn't get the key out and the hatch was NOT going that I remember.

Before each time that this all happens, I have also used our navigation system. Don't know if that is part of it, just noting the coincidences. However, not always an immediate "dieing"....

We love our Touareg, BUT, it's going to die at a very inconvenient time someday and that really concerns us.

Hope this helps SOMEONE. If anyone finds answers, please tell me! Thanks.

· Registered
866 Posts
Califcolmom - there is something not right with your posting. The Touareg does NOT have an automatic hatch that would cause it to go up and down. It does have hatch assist, but this feature does not move the hatch in any way.

Either you:
a) don't have a Touareg, and somehow came to the wrong place;
b) have some sort of aftermarket add-on that I have never heard of offered for a Touareg;
c) are someone who is just trying to stir up anti-VW sentiment;
d) have a haunted car;
or e) have been hitting the sauce a bit early and hard.

Maybe you could try describing this again? What do you mean by the hatch going up and down? Which hatch?

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, it happened again. After less than 24 hours, the hatch is broken again. The first time my wife opened it, it broke again. This time it came back down on my 1-year old daughter as my wife held her. I contacted my VW dealership (again) and was told to bring it back in. I explained that this is a HUGE hassle that I should not have to deal with. Not only should I not have to continue bringing my Treg back, but I will not accept a Jetta as a loaner. They offered a Passat as their premier loaner that they allow Audi owners to use. Whoopie! I traded a 2003 Passat for the '04 Treg, if I wanted another Passat, I'd buy one. That aside, I contacted VW about the numerous problems with the Treg and I think I will start the customer buy-back process. I nkow VW will buy it back before allowing me to seek the Lemon Law as protection. Buy-Backs are VERY common on these. I see 2 or 3 Treg buy-backs every month at the VW auction in Atlanta. This is horribly frustrating. How difficult is it to build one right? Production date is Jan. 2004. Perhaps a later production would give better service. Who knows.

· Registered
6 Posts
I DO have a Touareg....NOT an automatic hatch

To Spockcat and 4x4s

This is what I said
"I noticed I could hear the hatch motor moving the hatch up and down, up and down..."
. I did NOT say OPEN AND SHUT. The MOTOR was moving the door as if it were opening and shutting. It's the motor that pulls the door closed all the way when you close the door manually. You can HEAR to motor moving and you can SEE the door moving up and down (ever so slightly). It's wierd! Hope you understand this description and don't accuse me of being a dishonest or unscrupulous person. I am not. I'm probably one of the most truthful people there is.

I am an owner of a Touareg that is sitting in our driveway to wait for VW to call us in. Paperwork from them is back on their desk as of Friday all signed so will probably return the Touareg THIS WEEK.

I resent the accusation (that everyone gets to see).....that I am trying to stir up things. WE love our Touareg as you can see in further posting and we HATE to get rid of it but there comes a time that you have to call a lemon.....a lemon. We went 11 trips to the dealer and almost 40 days since May 26th. We can't depend on it to start each day.....

I also resent the accusation that I don't have a Touareg. I checked the side of the car.....LOL! It does say "Touareg"....or is it the back of the SUV? (I'm just pulling your leg). Besides, if I didn't have a Touareg, I wouldn't know how to SPELL IT! LOL! I know I (we) have a Touareg! The problems I am having seem to fall right in line with a lot of the other problems except I had them all at once like "Close Encounters of the Third Kind".

Isn't this "bug/problem" what it's all about. Trying to see if others are having the same problems and commenting on them. BOTH of you could have contacted me to ask further questions.

We live in the Murrieta, CA area and went to Murrieta Volkswagon.

Hope this straightens out the misunderstanding. I would have responded sooner but didn't get any email saying I had a response....sorry.

califcolmom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.