Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 V8 that I bought used (VERY USED), and I'm in the process of troubleshooting and fixing a ton of issues. One issue that has continued to bug me is a non-functioning rear hatch. None of the switches has any affect on the hatch (door, keyfob, micro switch above the license plate). The only way I can open it is with the emergency pull cord from the inside. When I close it, I do hear the motor that locks the door tight, so I know that is working. My question is, bad micro switch or convenience module?

Just to note, the passenger windows all work fine. Heated seats all work. Gas hatch release does not work (but it looks like it was pried open, so I don't put much stock in that to begin with). Are there other things controlled by the module that I can cross-check to rule out the module? Does the little micro switch in the door have that much control that it will prevent any method of opening the door?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

And yes, I have posted numerous threads on this vehicle. Please don't judge me, I'm working through a lot of problems right now.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
As you have probably read here - what does a VCDS scan say? This is ALWAYS the first question asked. You don't mention anything about it in your thread hence the question.
ANYTHING on these vehicles which has any possible relationship to things electrical must first be assessed with VCDS (or the dealer's computer system). If you are doing the work yourself - or an independent shop is helping you VCDS is the first step.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, didn't think to post this. Here is the VagCom scan results for the central convenience module:

Address 46: Central Conv. Labels: 7L0-959-933.lbl
Part No: 7L0 959 933 E
Component: H6 HSG 0201
Coding: 0000085
Shop #: WSC 08355 444 91263
VCID: 3E7D3A676A8D46CE4C-4B00

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 7L0 959 701 B
Component: Tuersteuergeraet FS 0201

Subsystem 2 - Part No: 7L0 959 702 B
Component: Tuersteuergeraet BF 0201

Subsystem 3 - Part No: 7L0 959 703 B
Component: Tuersteuergeraet HL 0201

Subsystem 4 - Part No: 7L0 959 704 B
Component: Tuersteuergeraet HR 0201

1 Fault Found:
00488 - Rear Right Outside Door Handle Central Locking Button (E372)
007 - Short to Ground

As an additional follow-up, I checked tonight, and the switch for the rear hatch window does not work either. If that adds a clue, great. Thanks

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I've haven't tried to troubleshoot this (hasn't happened to me, yet), but I'd try to run an output test on the hatch release. If that works, then you can look at the microswitch on the button that you press to release the hatch. If the hatch release motor does not work, then you're looking more at the motor as the culprit.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I posted the above VagCom results, which don't seem to show anything for the rear hatch. Keep in mind I'm very new with the VagCom scanner. I'm still learning. Is the module I scanned (Central Convenience) responsible for the rear hatch functions? And if so, whether it's a bad switch(s), broken wiring in the hinge or headliner, or a bad module, wouldn't the scan reveal some sort of electrical problem? Or am I scanning the wrong control module? I'm leaning towards broken wiring in the hinge area, given that both the glass and hatch are not working. But I'm a little reluctant to dig into it since I don't seem to show any faults there. Or am I mistaken, and broken wires in the hinge area or a bad micro switch would not throw a fault?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
VCDS probably won't detect a broken switch. It will just think you haven't activated the switch.

Post up the full Auto Scan so we can see exactly what you have.

Measuring Values allow you to read the sensors that the modules read. They also let you see various switch activations.

Output Tests allow you to manually activate various items. (Be careful! DO NOT run an Airbag Output test unless you know how to reset everything!) You can activate things such as the air suspension controls or headlights to see if they actually work, independently of the switch activation.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
It is unlikely that the short-to-ground in the RR door handle will mess with the rear hatch (either issue). But you can check by taking the RR door apart enough to unplug the handle switch from the harness - and leave it that way if you want.
The hatch glass opening (not) and the main hatch itself are likely separate issues also UNLESS broken wires at a common flex point are the cause. The hatch glass failure is probably caused by the little black button on the outside just under the wiper arm pivot - it needs to be replaced. A common failure.
If the release signal is not getting to the main latch mechanism that would seem to match the symptoms you describe and would mean you have to use the emergency release wire. A broken wire or separated wire harness connector could make that happen.
If you can run an actuation test with VCDS that would pin it down (open signal not getting through).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll try to explain what I just did. I hooked up the VCDS and ran the output tests on the central convenience module. When it got to the rear glass, it sent the signal and the rear glass unlocked. I hopped out and ran back and it opened right up. Then it ran the the rear hatch and the rear hatch unlocked. So if I'm reading things correctly, the module must be OK and there is power getting to the latches. After I disconnected the VCDS, I tried each again. The glass did not work at all after disconnecting the VCDS. The hatch seemed to work 2 or 3 times, then stopped working. Could it really be as simple as 2 micro-switches?

Thanks for all the input thus far. Maybe I'll get this thing figured out after all!!!!!

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Sounds like the micro switches at this point. Sometimes water gets past the seal and the entire little circuit board and the switches all burn out. Sometimes it is just a bad micro switch and (if you know how to solder in a new switch) it can be fixed really cheap.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
i thought mine wasnt working either but it was because you have to press the middle button on the fob for about 2 seconds until you see the turn signals flash then pull the button on the hatch. if that doesnt work it might be the switch on the drivers door. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is a coding issue which I managed to fix after messing up the car. You will not believe this but the code to actually raising the tail door is actually control in module 6. I will live to help you but will require more info.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts