Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced the battery in my 2007 Touareg, V6. Afterwards, everything seemed to be working properly (lights, turn signals, windows, radio, sound system, nav system, etc.). However, later on when opening the rear hatch, the hatch assist did not function at all. The hatch unlocked, but I had to raise and lower it manually. I followed the steps in the owner's manual and checked the fuse, which was good, but had no success in getting it to work. There is no audible sound from the hatch assist motors. My guess is that changing the battery resulted in a glitch in the computer software such the raise and lower signal is not being sent to the hatch assist actuators. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
VCDS, aka VAG-COM, can be purchased from Ross-Tech: Home.

It is an independent VW compatible software/hardware that allows you to access the VW modules that control EVERYTHING in a Touareg. Or any other newer VW/Audi vehicle.

It is VERY hard to do any diagnostics without it or the professional scanners from the likes of Snap-On or the official VW software.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A mechanic using the Ross-Tech diagnostic tool could not communicate with the control module which regulates the automatic raising and lowering of the rear liftgate. He advised me that he would have to find and inspect the control module in order to determine the problem so I agreed to pay for his labor to do this. several hours later he got back to me with the bad news. The control module was located inside the rear compartment under the driver's side plastic/vinyl fender well and near the rear air conditioning unit evaporator coil. He discovered that the condensate drain for the rear A.C. coil was partially restricted which allowed some water to accumulate in the drain pan and that excess moisture may have caused the control module to fail. So replacing the battery did not cause the malfunction. Ultimately, he said that the cost to replace the control module would be an additional $700, so I had to postpone this repair for another day. He gave me a part number for the control module (7L6959107B), but I'm not sure this is correct because the prices are way off. I went to this mechanic because he had the Ross-Tech tool; however, I'm not so sure he's been totally honest with me. Is the Ross-Tech tool required to replace the control module? Could I possibly replace this unit with a used control module? Any feedback would be appreciated. In the meantime the MIL light has come on so I have another problem to troubleshoot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.