Club Touareg Forum banner
161 - 168 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Not just axle weights, where do they get GVM, GCM from for a Touareg, because as discussed previously the placard doesn’t show the values at all. Thus as per when I had my setup professionally weighed, they asked for the owners manual which has axle weights as well. As i thought that info is not just laying around the weight guy also needed it from you i am assuming ? I would imagine it is safe to presume that the police have access to the info. How ? do the police just run our vehicle specs off Google now ? or do they have a database as i asked? And you are under no obligation to supply a handbook> (I hope I’m wrong)
From my calcs, with 2 passengers and 100 litres of fuel there is only 240kg of tow ball available (I would prefer to have all 280kg and some)

·
Registered
546 Posts
@dragline1570 , I personally have not been through a police operation checkpoint. But state registration details for vehicles (in WA) do include tare and GVM values. WA police and I would imagine other states do have online access to vehicle registration details but as you say there is no obligation to carry the vehicle owners manual.
really the discussion of if the police have the details is moot, reality is they are doing this, be aware and try to be legal

·
Registered
2021 Touareg 210TDI R-Line Wolfsburg Edition Pure White
123 Posts
The legal onus is on the operator not to overload the vehicle, well duh; but putting my cynic hat on, quite probably also to be able to prove it's not overloaded, by being able to produce the relevant weight limits. That they are not on a placard on the door pillar I doubt is relevant. For the CR, the placard has GVM, but the value is blank. However there is a supplement to the owner's manual that details everything relevant to towing, ie max ball weight, max trailer ATM, GVM, GCM and max rear axle load. A 'reasonable person' might conclude that if you choose to tow anything, you should a) be familiar with those limits and b) keep them in the vehicle to be able to demonstrate any load is legal. A bit like having to not just have a license, but be able to produce it.

As an interesting contrast, my previous tow vehicle is a 04 Fairlane, and all it has in the manual is max trailer ATM, max ball weight and max rear axle load. Nothing about GVM or GCM. But when max ATM and ball load are only 2300/230kg, I suppose trailer mass and rear axle load is enough to avoid overloading.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
The legal onus is on the operator not to overload the vehicle, well duh; but putting my cynic hat on, quite probably also to be able to prove it's not overloaded, by being able to produce the relevant weight limits. That they are not on a placard on the door pillar I doubt is relevant. For the CR, the placard has GVM, but the value is blank. However there is a supplement to the owner's manual that details everything relevant to towing, ie max ball weight, max trailer ATM, GVM, GCM and max rear axle load. A 'reasonable person' might conclude that if you choose to tow anything, you should a) be familiar with those limits and b) keep them in the vehicle to be able to demonstrate any load is legal. A bit like having to not just have a license, but be able to produce it.

As an interesting contrast, my previous tow vehicle is a 04 Fairlane, and all it has in the manual is max trailer ATM, max ball weight and max rear axle load. Nothing about GVM or GCM. But when max ATM and ball load are only 2300/230kg, I suppose trailer mass and rear axle load is enough to avoid overloading.
Yes, the onus is on the operator to ensure it is not overloaded.
But they are checking you and weighing you to check if you are over.
I would suspect in that case they would need to say you are over or under either way, not just say i know your weight so prove to me you're alright, and i don't think that is happening to everyone pulled over.
I know i am just aggravating everyone sorry.
As you could imagine I tow, and I am fully aware of all the weights and I know I am over on rear axle load when fully laden (about 70kg) but under on all others ATM, GVM, GCM so I presume maybe one day I will be checked and maybe sorry but until then.:cautious:

·
Registered
546 Posts
@dragline1570 yes I also had a 90kg over on rear axle when test weighed, some mods to loading have been made, but I would think I have some more to go.
So frustrating 😢
Reality was if I was towing with a std Pajero Sport I would be legally ok 😟 just because it has a higher rear axle limit

·
Registered
397 Posts
The purpose of the weight distributing hitch is to (wait for it) distribute the weight between the front and read axles. There is a higher limit on the Touareg with the WDH than the load carrying hitch.
Properly setup the WDH will carry a tongue or pin weight of 1100 lbs and load carrying is about 700 lbs.
When you test the setup with the properly adjusted hitch and weigh each axle you should be able to keep the rear axle under its weight limit loaded and at the same time the from axle loaded higher, but still within it's limits.
Without the WDH the front will be raised and lighter, reducing control and stability and the rear sagging and no amount of air bagging or suspension raising will fix it.
Plant Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Wood

·
Registered
546 Posts
The purpose of the weight distributing hitch is to (wait for it) distribute the weight between the front and read axles. There is a higher limit on the Touareg with the WDH than the load carrying hitch.
Properly setup the WDH will carry a tongue or pin weight of 1100 lbs and load carrying is about 700 lbs.
When you test the setup with the properly adjusted hitch and weigh each axle you should be able to keep the rear axle under its weight limit loaded
Whilst your description of WDH is correct, within Australia vehicles are weighed with the WDH disconnected (not tensioned)

161 - 168 of 168 Posts