Club Touareg Forum banner
81 - 100 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
2013 VW Touareg Bluemotion 150kw Stage 2 tune, TAG towbar, Titan Suspension coilovers
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 · (Edited)
It's at the exact height OEM calls for. Can't remember off memory, 23.x" off the ground maybe? 17.x"? I know, not helpful lol. You can find the OEM height in the manual
I’ve seen elsewhere here it’s 43cm. I need 53cm towball height for the van and 43cm for the boat. So I need a std height for the boat and a 4” lift for the caravan. I can then sell the Raptor adjustable hitch.

·
Registered
2013 VW Touareg Bluemotion 150kw Stage 2 tune, TAG towbar, Titan Suspension coilovers
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Good news! My coilovers fitted finally and I’m really pleased with the result. There’s good lift and I don’t need a lift kit any more from the looks of it. It’s a firm ride but not jarring. The damping seems well suited to the spring rate.

It’s dark outside but I couldn’t wait till the morning to share my excitement. I think that’s a good lift maybe partly due to the extra 20mm height plus the heavier springs holding the shocks up a bit higher in the stroke.

Do you think that looks equivalent to a 2” lift?

Next I need some bigger tyres to fill the arches 😁

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Tread

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Good news! My coilovers fitted finally and I’m really pleased with the result. There’s good lift and I don’t need a lift kit any more from the looks of it. It’s a firm ride but not jarring. The damping seems well suited to the spring rate.

It’s dark outside but I couldn’t wait till the morning to share my excitement. I think that’s a good lift maybe partly due to the extra 20mm height plus the heavier springs holding the shocks up a bit higher in the stroke.

View attachment 251237
View attachment 251239
View attachment 251240
View attachment 251238
Wow that looks more like 2-3" lift! Looks really good though

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
You want to check how much droop travel you have left with the spring seats screwed all the way up like you have. If you run out of droop travel in normal cornering the handling can get tricky as the wheel unloads.

cheers
Rohan
I’ve emailed Titan Suspension as I thought it had separate height adjusters. Using preload to get lift sounds a bit backwards to me. I would be looking for 30% sag if it was a motorbike.

·
Registered
2013 180 kw with air suspension
203 Posts

Looks Great well done how high is the towball now ?.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Looks Great well done how high is the towball now ?.
The good news is that the towball is more than 50cm off the ground static (measured on my sloping driveway so it read 53cm) then once the caravan is on it is 45cm off the ground so it’s only sagging 2” or so. The caravan is an inch lower at the front than back so could go up another inch at the towball to 47.5cm to be level. It’s so little I might just leave it where it is. I’ll find a shorter tongue with the right lift on it and get rid of the Raptor. My other concern is the front still looks like it’s high compared to the back but nowhere near as bad. I might drop the front a bit.
Tire Wheel Car Sky Vehicle

Wheel Tire Cloud Land vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Car

Compared to what it was before
Wheel Tire Sky Car Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Plant

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,812 Posts
It 'looks' a lot better.
How does the front end/steering feel now with the new suspension?
Also, the new suspension componentry will bed in and settle over the next 5k klms or so, so your final ride height etc is still yet to be determined.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
It feels high looking down on the rest of the world but steering wise it is great. It hasn’t lost any of its nimble handling and with the former springs it holds nice and flat around corners. The damping feels good so hitting bumps is not a tooth rattling experience. The only part where I notice it’s a lot stiffer is at car park speeds on speed bumps and kerbs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
It feels high looking down on the rest of the world but steering wise it is great. It hasn’t lost any of its nimble handling and with the former springs it holds nice and flat around corners. The damping feels good so hitting bumps is not a tooth rattling experience. The only part where I notice it’s a lot stiffer is at car park speeds on speed bumps and kerbs.
I might get the ride height lowered a bit on the front just for aesthetics but the mechanic confirmed the ride height is controlled by twisting the shock body not by preload so I should have enough static sag.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
The good news is that the towball is more than 50cm off the ground static (measured on my sloping driveway so it read 53cm) then once the caravan is on it is 45cm off the ground so it’s only sagging 2” or so. The caravan is an inch lower at the front than back so could go up another inch at the towball to 47.5cm to be level. It’s so little I might just leave it where it is. I’ll find a shorter tongue with the right lift on it and get rid of the Raptor. My other concern is the front still looks like it’s high compared to the back but nowhere near as bad. I might drop the front a bit. View attachment 251253
View attachment 251254
View attachment 251252
Compared to what it was before
View attachment 251256
View attachment 251257
Ugh single axle trailers. I would drop that ball one slot and see how it looks. It seems about 1" too high.

It 'looks' a lot better.
How does the front end/steering feel now with the new suspension?
Also, the new suspension componentry will bed in and settle over the next 5k klms or so, so your final ride height etc is still yet to be determined.
Yep

·
Registered
2013 Touareg R line V8 Diesel
395 Posts
The threaded bottom spring seats on the shocks control the ride height by raising and lowering the springs as they rotate versus the shock body and thus raise or lower the rest of the car, from what I can see in the photos. The higher you raise the car the more the shock rod extends versus the shock body that's fixed to the lower suspension arm and the less droop available in the suspension.

I would be checking the droop to ensure I had at least 50mm and preferably 75 mm. I don't have a reference handy for the stock droop but the closer you can get to that the better.

At the rear I would also be checking the bump travel with the caravan on to ensure you have enough bump travel before spring bind or you hit the bump stops

cheers
Rohan

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
The threaded bottom spring seats on the shocks control the ride height by raising and lowering the springs as they rotate versus the shock body and thus raise or lower the rest of the car, from what I can see in the photos. The higher you raise the car the more the shock rod extends versus the shock body that's fixed to the lower suspension arm and the less droop available in the suspension.

I would be checking the droop to ensure I had at least 50mm and preferably 75 mm. I don't have a reference handy for the stock droop but the closer you can get to that the better.

At the rear I would also be checking the bump travel with the caravan on to ensure you have enough bump travel before spring bind or you hit the bump stops

cheers
Rohan
I’ll have to consult with Titan how the ride height affects the rod length and travel. I’d have thought it should affect the travel if the spring has the correct preload on it. The mechanic left the preload as it came out of the factory and just increased ride height. I’d need to measure full extension with weight off the wheels and see how much it drops on its own weight. Does that sound like a good test?

·
Registered
2013 Touareg R line V8 Diesel
395 Posts
Yes thats how you check the droop travel. The spring load is unchanged as the car weighs the same. What will have altered is the spring rate ( higher with the new stiffer springs) spring compression length ( less with the new stiffer springs) and distance to end of shock travel , spring bind and bump stops with the new set up and ride height. These need checking to make sure no problems in bump or droop with spring binding or shocks reaching end of travel before the suspension hits the bump stops

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Ugh single axle trailers. I would drop that ball one slot and see how it looks. It seems about 1" too high.

Yep
What makes you say the tow ball needs to be lower? Which part looks too high? The caravan looks level or slightly down in the nose so I was thinking it needs to go up.

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
1,311 Posts
What makes you say the tow ball needs to be lower? Which part looks too high? The caravan looks level or slightly down in the nose so I was thinking it needs to go up.
The perceived wisdom in Europe is that the caravan should be slightly nose-down when stationary - the aerodynamics seems to cause the front to lift at speed so the net result should be towing level.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
To me, on my little cellphone screen, the nose looks like it's facing the sky. Dropping it one inch would likely level it out

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
To me, on my little cellphone screen, the nose looks like it's facing the sky. Dropping it one inch would likely level it out
Possibly if it were a twin axle trailer. Would a single axle just put more weight on the rear?
I measured the clearance between tyres and wheel arches without the trailer attached and the clearance is about 2 inches more in the front so that needs to change. Dropping the front down to the same clearance as the rear would make the body of the car look like it’s nose down. Is that how the Tregs look?

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Possibly if it were a twin axle trailer. Would a single axle just put more weight on the rear?
I measured the clearance between tyres and wheel arches without the trailer attached and the clearance is about 2 inches more in the front so that needs to change. Dropping the front down to the same clearance as the rear would make the body of the car look like it’s nose down. Is that how the Tregs look?
Think of it like a teeter tooter. If the weight is off you'll notice negative driving characteristics. Being parallel is ideal.

81 - 100 of 123 Posts