Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
296 Posts
Yes I totally agree on caravan engineers. I upgraded from my Prado to the Touareg because I needed better tow capacity for my next caravan which will be full height no pop top. Every single van out there nowadays is 3500kgs GVM and I see people towing with dual cabs that just bend their chassis. I am encountering issues with the Touareg that I was not expecting but I will overcome them with everybody’s help here I’m sure. Perhaps I should have gone with air suspension but I was put off by the extra complexity and inevitable failures that would happen out whoop whoop
Are you sure that you won't be exceeding the maximum rear axle load with such a heavy caravan?

Reactions: gatkins

· Registered
296 Posts
Yes. I agree. The rest axle load is usually the first limit to pass.

· Registered
296 Posts
I don't have a 2013 model. It varies from model to model. I think the value for my 2015 model is about 1530 kg?

· Registered
296 Posts
Air suspension. I thoroughly recommend it. :)

Reactions: Wizz954

· Registered
296 Posts
Yes. I think that if one looked at all the available tow vehicles' the rear axle load would be the limiting factor. It's not just the Toerag that has the problem.

Reactions: Steve_L

· Registered
296 Posts
Ah well. There you go. Thanks for that information. :)

· Registered
296 Posts
A lighter caravan would save money on fuel and help the environment. :)

• Haha

· Registered
296 Posts
I wonder if strengthening the springs will move the weak point to somewhere else. Will the maximum rear axle weight be increased? If so, will you be able to get an engineer's certificate to show the maximum rear axle weight is increased?

I hear that the checking of caravan weights by the authorities had increased lately. If you were to have to much weight on the rear axle you may need a certificate to prevent being fined. 🤔

· Registered
296 Posts
I not a mechanical engineer but I would image so. There're lots of things keeping the tires and the body connected. (I think) :rolleyes:

· Registered
296 Posts
No GVM upgrades listed there by Pedders for the Touareg. That's a pity because, as I've mentioned before, the maximum rear axle weight is the usual limiting factor on a Touareg. :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts