Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016 MY17 V6 TDI Canyon Gray Metallic
254 Posts
I agree on the hitch length. I queried it with the towbar company as well as it is 140mm further back than a std hitch. By my reckoning that adds 14% to the overall axle to towball distance which increases leverage as me also reduces max towball weight. They said it wouldn’t affect it… but laws of physics says it will. I’ll need to establish the ideal ball height for both the caravan and the boat and then buy 2 std hitches of different heights. When the caravan is level the ball needs to be 51cm off the ground once loaded. For the boat it needs to be 43cm off the ground.

My towball scale works fine. What I’m saying is that no matter how I try I cannot get towball weight below 280kgs. The bike engines are virtually over the axle and has little effect on the towball weight. Packing everything else into the back makes little difference. 50 kgs of fuel cans, genset, camp chairs and tools.

I’ll try a std hitch to see effect on sag but it won’t be high enough for the van.
Just a little additional explanation -- I would say that the standard OEM hitch would add some 14% of the TBM mass to the RAL the additional length would increase that even further. see calculations here - this is for utes with a camper on board Extended Hitch Calc (visualsc.com) the theory of the additional extension to the hitch remains the same.

It would be interesting to see just what the measured TBM is at empty

·
Registered
254 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks for that. I looked at the Caboolture site. Interesting how they show weighing with the car and van unhitched. How do you know what the caravan is adding to the rear axle when hitched? I’d like to know exactly since the distance to towball has an effect. Or do they have more instructions when you get there?
I guess you just check on the way in.measure the RAL load while the van is not on the scale

·
Registered
254 Posts
Good news! My coilovers fitted finally and I’m really pleased with the result. There’s good lift and I don’t need a lift kit any more from the looks of it. It’s a firm ride but not jarring. The damping seems well suited to the spring rate.

It’s dark outside but I couldn’t wait till the morning to share my excitement. I think that’s a good lift maybe partly due to the extra 20mm height plus the heavier springs holding the shocks up a bit higher in the stroke.

Do you think that looks equivalent to a 2” lift?

Next I need some bigger tyres to fill the arches 😁
Looks Great well done how high is the towball now ?.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts