Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

I have a 12 TDI Lux with 75k miles. I recently noticed that when I'm on the highway at speeds over 60mph and I let off the accelerator I get a brief vibration coming from the rear driveline almost like I'm driving on the rumble strips with both wheels but not as pronounced.. I just picked up this Treg and did some research which pointed to the driveshaft center support bearing. I checked the bearing (the best I could while laying underneath the car) and everything looks good. I checked the front and rear driveshafts for play and everything seems tight. Two relevant pieces of information to consider - 1) I reviewed the service records from the dealership when the recommissioned the Treg and one note indicated that a MIL required them to remove the exhaust and driveshaft to fix a wiring harness. 2) when under the Treg I noticed the front driveshaft looked brand new and has a build date of 2013 so it looks like the original front driveshaft was replaced at some point. I had my dealer take a look at it when it was in for service this past week and they couldn't replicate the issue (of course they couldn't). I'm going to make them drive in the Treg with me when I bring it in for a headliner replacement in the coming weeks but in the meantime I'm doing several long road trips for work. Any advice?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Could be a lot of things, like the driveshaft or it's centre support bearing. Could also be one of the CV joints or even the rear diff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got the same thing, but only off-throttle between 10 and 30mph. It also feels like it's beneath the drivers floorboard, rather than the rear driveline. I'd book it in for a warranty claim, but based on my experience with VW, they'll say they were unable to replicate.

I'll see how it does on my road-trip in a few weeks, and it if continues I'll have them look at it while I'm getting the new key programmed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quick update on this. First time in the shop they couldn’t replicate. Second time they offered a drive along with the shop foreman. Was able to replicate instantly. Got it in yesterday and turned out the rear sub-frame was loose. They replaced the bolts and tightened it up. Vibration is gone!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts