Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this would be the right area for this but I plan to do something similar for off roading. Took this from a FJ forum just wondering if anyone already did a similar write up like this? I did some looking around and didn't find anything. Might make a write up if someone hasn't already. Trying to maximize as much space in the car as possible.

Shawn

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mainly to maximize for storage really. I ski a lot in the winter so it would be a good spot to store gear like boots and other gear that could be pulled out and still be able to through my cooler and grill on top of that too. In theory it would be two tiers of storage space and still be able to access it all at once.

Shawn

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't luckily so I might see. Just was curious I have seen it in a lot of different SUV's just not any Touareg's.

Thanks!

Shawn

·
Registered
260 Posts
Some people like these because they can use the back as storage and still have a place to sleep. I found that I have to be really tires to sleep in the back of my Touareg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
546 Posts
Neat idea. I'd make one out of foam and fiberglass rather than wood. Much lighter...

Also a thin air mattress (or raft) works for sleeping in the Touareg. i do this on road trips since VW so courteously made the seats (not) fold flat like the previous generation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am not worried to much about weight since I will most likely have some heavy stuff on top of it. My cooler weighs about 65 pounds full with who knows what else on top. I will see what I come up with and keep you guys in the loop! No plans on sleeping back there unless it would be for short trips while driving.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Shawn

·
Registered
265 Posts
I did build one for my Jeep. I loved it because you can have the boot completely packed and still get the tow straps or whatever you need without emptying the boot first. Now I have to fish out whatever I believe might be needed before packing the boot. But I cary a lot of "if's" under the floor, so I miss the drawers of my jeep.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've always wanted to do this to mine but I have a TDI with the emissions equipment intact and like Turbo stated, I need access to the filler. I go shooting a lot and extra space for shooting equipment would be ideal rather than having a ton of bags in there, right now I keep a first aid/trauma kit in there and sometimes wish I had a place for it. I would love to see how this works for you.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Why not figure out a way to extend the filler for the DEF tank and have a hose or something to allow remote filling of it?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Why not figure out a way to extend the filler for the DEF tank and have a hose or something to allow remote filling of it?
Not sure if that was directed to me but the juice wouldn't be worth the squeeze, I have a bunch of projects going on at once and the benefit won't outweigh the time.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Make a rack without a bottom, and just take out the drawer when access to the compartment under the original floor is needed?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've always wanted to do this to mine but I have a TDI with the emissions equipment intact and like Turbo stated, I need access to the filler. I go shooting a lot and extra space for shooting equipment would be ideal rather than having a ton of bags in there, right now I keep a first aid/trauma kit in there and sometimes wish I had a place for it. I would love to see how this works for you.
I will keep you all updated hopefully starting this project soon before it gets to cold here in New Mexico. Will have photos when I get it figured out!

Shawn

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Make it pivot at the back, just like your hatch does.... just all a piano hinge along the back side, taper the rear wall to a 60deg or whatever instead of a 90deg and when you need to add DEF fluid, lift it up just like you do your existing spare tire cover.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Make it pivot at the back, just like your hatch does.... just all a piano hinge along the back side, taper the rear wall to a 60deg or whatever instead of a 90deg and when you need to add DEF fluid, lift it up just like you do your existing spare tire cover.
That makes sense and I did find this for the OP.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts