Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of snow here and freezing temps. The snow and ice buidup in the wheel wells and behind is considerable. Normally we just give the hanging ice a kick and it releases and falls to the ground. On the rear of my Touareg, the rear bumper cover flexes a lot when I give the ice a kick. It will flop around pretty good with the weight of the ice. I'm not kicking the bumper cover itself, just the ice hanging from it. The cover seems to be not solid at all where it wraps around the sides and forms the rear of the wheel well. Car has never been hit so there should not be any damage inside. I can see the seam between bumper and quarterpanel spread!

I need to bring it into the shop at work here to thaw out and melt all the ice to see what's going on in there. Anyone seen this problem before? I recall it being a little loose last winter but not this bad. I'm imagining the cover flexing a lot while I'm driving with 15 pounds of ice hanging down behind each wheel.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I guess it really depends on how much flex there really is. The covers aren't held on with much, but they're still pretty sturdy. You should take a picture or video so we can get an idea of how bad it is.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
When it is cleaned up and dry, crawl under the rear and look for screws accross the rear bumper cover button that go into (if I remember right) the exhaust heat shield. It (the cover) is made considerably more firm with these screws, but they are a PAIN to get off and back in (prone to stripping). If missing (sounds like it) you will want to rig up a system to fasten...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts