Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone able to tell me the correct bulb for the 2006 V8 treg rear brake light? Mines blown and there are (typically!) no markings on the bulbs to tell me. What's the replacement I need? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Note !!!!

the little protruding nubs on the cylinder body are off set and are also at an angle of 90 degrees to each other.

This is to ensure the bulb faces the right way

You cant just get any bulb which looks similar

Pull you dud one out and you will see

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
Touareg Dual Filament Bulbs (Brake/Tail) have a BAZ style base where the pins are 150 degree appart and not 180 as with the BAY style..

See attached...

Stuart...

Attachments

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
My advice is to replace all the bulbs across the back at the same, buying them all from your VW dealer plus one spare for each type.

Put the spares in the car and, then like me, Murphy's Law will kick in and you will never change another bulb on the rear end of the car again!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nooby, what? Dealership?
I went with cheap replacement bulbs 2yrs ago, replaced both sides AND got spares in the car. Dealership pric?s would have been almost 5x what I paid not even counting the spares.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
You're in Finland where, like one or two other countries, you appear to end up paying very high prices for parts at dealers.

For others, the dealership can be the best bet - you get the right bulbs first time and the quality is far better than many cheap offerings from elsewhere.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Why do my rear brakes lights keep burning out? Said they replaced 3 today now another one is out. Is this a common issue?

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
Not in my World. In 6 years I have replaced one only. Stuart...

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Why do my rear brakes lights keep burning out? Said they replaced 3 today now another one is out. Is this a common issue?
Who "said they replaced 3 today"?

I bought a full set of blubs from my VW dealer, plus a spare for each type of bulb.

I replaced all the bulbs across the back end of the car at the same time and binned all the old bulbs regardless of whether they were working with a clear or blackened glass, put the spares in the cubby, and never changed another bulb in nigh-on 8 years.

·
Registered
385 Posts
My dealer but it's a small import shop that I've gone to for years. He said 3 bulbs but I may have assumed brakes as I knew 1 or 2 was out from looking myself. I will call tomorrow to ask.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Having been subject many years ago of an attempted rip-off by a Beemer dealer whose mechanic made the mistake of producing several duff bulbs that were allegedly from my car - they weren't as they were the wrong wattage and the wrong make! - I do sometimes wonder what's what when I hear or read of people who have been told they have multiple bulb failures if the bulbs really were dead.

And that doubt is especially highlighted on a car like the Touareg where we know a working but failing bulb can bring on the BULB FAILED warning.

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,436 Posts
All I know is the one simple rule.

If I pull out one of those pain in the butt to remove taillights, I make sure that I put a new bulb in every single slot so that I don't have to remove it a second time. And only use long-life OEM quality bulbs from a brand name you recognize.

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,436 Posts
Napa will have them. I got my last set at O'Rielly, but Napa, Autozone, Advance will have them.

The last ones I replaced were the 4 bulbs in the outer taillights. One pack was $6 and the other pack was $5 so I ended up paying about $12 with the tax.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Despite what anyone else might say, get a full set from your VW dealer and do the lot at the same time. Remember, mine lasted 8 years plus . . . .

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
snip Remember, mine lasted 8 years plus . . . .
Yes, but remember that you purchased insurance against failure -- the fact that you bought an extra set and put them IN THE CAR made it certain that you will never have another one like that burn out! It's a derivative of Murphy's Law!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Yes, but remember that you purchased insurance against failure -- the fact that you bought an extra set and put them IN THE CAR made it certain that you will never have another one like that burn out! It's a derivative of Murphy's Law!
Sadly, doesn't work in my case. Probably that law is not internationally adopted. :-(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts