Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Touareg with the two original keys.

Only one of the two keys can now be used to unlock the vehicle and start the car.

It is not the key's battery. I checked it on a volt-ohm meter and it is fine; I replaced it and it still did not work; in fact, I swapped batteries between the two keys and both batteries work fine--but only in the one key, not the other.

The red LED still flashes normally when the buttons are pressed in the defective key.

It appears that the second key has somehow become unpaired with the vehicle.

How can I re-sync this key with the car?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
^^^ Dealerships have the only access to KESSY programming, and should be able to test your fob to see if you have a software, or a hardware, issue.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

The back story is that I was, unusually for me, dressed in suit slacks yesterday, and the key slipped out of my pocket and I lost it somewhere. I was stranded, called my wife, who drove over the spare key.

It didn't work. So, I pulled out the plastic backup key, popped the cover on the door handle, and then it set off the alarm. I put the backup key in the ignition, but it wouldn't start. In fact, the dash display said to "remove key".

I then called the dealer (with the vehicle intermittently sounding the alarm with no way to shut it off), to see if I could just bring in the key and get it programmed, but they said they needed the car. I don't know if that's true, but I had no choice and called AAA.

The car was parked in a tight spot with access only from the rear. Over the phone, the AAA operator said it couldn't be put on a flat bed because it would have to be dragged on to it, since without the key, it could not be put in neutral. They said the tow truck would put dollies under the wheels.

The estimated time for the tow truck was 90 minutes. After about three hours waiting for the tow driver fruitlessly, I redoubled efforts to find the key. Some good Samaritan had found it and turned it into a nearby office.

After wasting most of the day, I was finally back on the road.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Glad it all worked out for you. The dealership does indeed need the car as well as the fob (all the fobs), to do any KESSY work.
This is why I purchased a third fob from VW when we bought our Treg, new. One in pocket, one at home, and one hidden in/on vehicle (a bit trick, this, but a lifesaver...).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts