Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RE: KEY PROGRAMMING

Hi folks, i bought a project 04 vw touareg last year from an auction without keys, it looked pretty good for the year and price so i figured why not. i have had difficulty trying to get a key programmed for it at the dealership, they claim the key that was made for it was stuck in the ignition during programming. i dont know if anyone has had to deal with this issue before, i have followed similar threads but they were for programming to get access into the car. i even bought a new ignition switch. what can i do? thanks

·
Registered
484 Posts
Change the ignition switch and try to get a key programmed for the car then. Hopefully you have the correct ignition switch for the VIN#. I believe the key needs to be cut for the ignition switch so they match up.

·
Registered
656 Posts
they claim the key that was made for it was stuck in the ignition during programming
That's very much possible, if either the battery died during the process, or the lock cylinder was already damaged in the first place.

I however find it weird, to say the least, that the dealership didn't recommend replacing the lock or suggest some other (obviously very costly) solution to the problem.

Who's buying a car (other than for parts) without keys anyway?

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Who's buying a car (other than for parts) without keys anyway?
I'm guessing that the previous owner already butchered a few things before unloading it, and our OP picked it up at a "steal" because anyone familiar with these types of key\security issues steers far away from these specimens as the costs are far too great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I posted about 2 months ago looking for any suggestions as to getting a key programmed for my 04 touareg. Just like a wise member said, the previous owner had butchered very important components before letting it go. We have replaced the shifter lock mechanism and battery but it's still not communicating with the dealer to program the key. No lights, nothing! Please if anyone is familiar with this issue and can point me to specific issues to tackle, please do. I'm getting really frustrated and broke to say the least.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts