Hi Guys,

I have a 2015 Touareg V6 that comes with wheels that are
275 45 20.

Now I purchased a second hand set off Gumtree that are 255 60 18
for taking offroad as the existing Pirelli Verde's are really weak and I've
already had two flats.

Here's my question: I cannot find another 18 on gumtree to use as a spare
so Im hoping I can keep one of the original wheels as a back up spare if
I were to get a flat. Now Ive put the calculations into a website and the difference is negligible or within 1% which according to many websites is acceptable for the rolling diameter.

Would it be ok to do this for a spare if I only drive back to base for example.

The reason I ask is Ive been invited up to Landcrusier Mountain Park with some friends and I would love to go but its a 2.5 hour drive back to Brisbane
If I get a flat and Im sure the space saver wont last.

What do you guys think ?

Cheers,

Lee

·
Registered
213 Posts
You should be good to go if you do not exceed 80 kph, the same as using the space saver spare. You would be risking problems by going faster because the characteristics of this solid spare would be different from the other tyres.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
You should be good to go if you do not exceed 80 kph, the same as using the space saver spare. You would be risking problems by going faster because the characteristics of this solid spare would be different from the other tyres.

+1

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
As you obviously know, the Touareg needs to run with 4 identical tyres as in same size, same make, same model and same tread pattern because, apart from the hole in the middle which has to be exact for obvious reasons, tyre sizes are nominal and even, for example, different models of a 235/65/17 from the same manufacturer can vary in overall diameter by up to 12mm or more.

Again, as you obviously know, tyres on the Touareg should not vary in tread depth by more than 2mm on the same axle and by more than 3mm between front and rear axles.

Quite apart from the fact the spacesaver spare is a get you home wheel, another reason it is limited to 50mph/80kph is because the Touareg transmission electronics can sort out overall diameter differences up to those speeds and thus accommodate this odd sized wheel.

Beyond 50mph/80pkh, they don't and you risk transmission damage through wind-up on metalled or concrete road surfaces where the tyres cannot slip. Off-road on loose gravel or dirt surfaces, in sand, or on snow and ice, the wheels can of course slip but personally I'd still stick to the advice I offer in the next paragraph!

Yes, use your normal 20" road wheel as a spare by all means, but limit your speed, as others have already recommended, to 50mph/80kph as per the spacesaver limits.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've got a set of 4 basically new 2006 18" Q7 rims that have been in the garage for a few years. Located 2 hrs north of Brisbane but will be there on Wednesday if you are interested. $250 delivered.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I've got a set of 4 basically new 2006 18" Q7 rims that have been in the garage for a few years. Located 2 hrs north of Brisbane but will be there on Wednesday if you are interested. $250 delivered.
Great price for some lucky dude, although you didn't mention which width they are, ie 8" or 8.5" - or - ? Dub

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Out of interest I have a matching 7.5" x 18" Q7 wheel to the 4 of Gympietregs with an as new tyre that I am about to put on Gumtree if you need a matched set of 5 wheels? John

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry guys for the long delay.

Appreciate the offer I had a bit of a think about it and as I already have a set of 18's needing new tyres I couldnt see the benefit in buying another set the same size.

Appreciate the response and offer.

Cheers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Out of interest I have a matching 7.5" x 18" Q7 wheel to the 4 of Gympietregs with an as new tyre that I am about to put on Gumtree if you need a matched set of 5 wheels? John
How much do you want for the wheel, I could do with an 18 for a spare for my Melbourne trip in Jan?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Wheel and what looks like a new tyre. I was thinking of advertising for $250. Flick me an email address and I'll send pics and you can make me an offer if you want. John

·
Registered
198 Posts
running on pump up spare

I just got a better tyre put on my $260 full size touareg spare and my local tyre guy told me that he had just got a lady a new spare space saver for the touareg cost $1100.
I was just going to carry the full size when I had the van on, makes me thing about carrying it everywhere.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I just got a better tyre put on my $260 full size touareg spare and my local tyre guy told me that he had just got a lady a new spare space saver for the touareg cost $1100.
I was just going to carry the full size when I had the van on, makes me thing about carrying it everywhere.
Yes, I carry mine all the time. Since doing so, I have not had a puncture. Good insurance. It is a PIA because I strap the spare up at the side of the cargo area so consequently you lose one of the back seats because the tyre intrudes. If there are more passengers, I have to unstrap and lie the spare flat on the cargo floor, losing cargo space.

In any case, you have to watch the rotation and tyre wear so that you don't let the wear get the tyre diameter too far out of whack. Otherwise you could find when you want to use the full size spare that it is out of the acceptable size range across the axle or front/back and you will be restricted to 80 kph.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yes, I carry mine all the time. Since doing so, I have not had a puncture. Good insurance. It is a PIA because I strap the spare up at the side of the cargo area so consequently you lose one of the back seats because the tyre intrudes. If there are more passengers, I have to unstrap and lie the spare flat on the cargo floor, losing cargo space.

In any case, you have to watch the rotation and tyre wear so that you don't let the wear get the tyre diameter too far out of whack. Otherwise you could find when you want to use the full size spare that it is out of the acceptable size range across the axle or front/back and you will be restricted to 80 kph.
I carry mine the same, r/h side but move that part of the seat only 1-2 notches forward (probably sits only 30-40mm forward of the other side and mid section rear seat). No problem with a passenger still using that seat?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi Murraycod and paulm57.
Where do you guys get the SIDE mounting points for the wheel?
I only have the 4 corner tie down points on the floor and the plastic side piece with the elastic straps? Did you purchase them? if so where from please.

Like you White 150 KW TDI

·
Registered
213 Posts
I carry mine the same, r/h side but move that part of the seat only 1-2 notches forward (probably sits only 30-40mm forward of the other side and mid section rear seat). No problem with a passenger still using that seat?
In my car that affected lean forward seat becomes unusable. Luckily I rarely need that fifth seat.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts