Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shortly after purchasing a V8 Touareg with the standard radio, I noticed that the radio was displaying the names of songs and the artist. Amazed, I showed this to my wife, who stated that she had never seen it before either. This neat feature worked for about a week, and then stopped.

I checked the manual and could find nothing in there about this feature. The dealer knew nothing about it as well.

After trying all kinds of button pushing combinations, I found that if you depress and hold one of the buttons, (tape I think), the radio goes into a diagnostic mode, and one of the modes is RDS Error. When tuned to a station that features RDS, I typically have an error of 1-2%. Which I should think tells me that the data is being received.

Anyway, I am still unable to reactivate this feature. Any ideas?

Thanks
 

· Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
I wanted to use this thread to ask about RDS in audio system II (nav). when I change to a station that uses RDS, the display show the RDS info but it doesn't seem to change it as often as the station does so it's kind of 'stuck' on a single rds messege. does anybody else experiencing it ?

I.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
866 Posts
ex95M3boi said:
Do a search on "RDS" radio"...
All you need to do is pull a fuse, wait 5 mins, put it back in and your fine...
Yes, I discovered this a while ago. Pull fuse 11 on the passenger side fuse panel. Wait a few seconds, then put it back in. Viola! RDS info is back in the radio. Don't know why, but it seems to work. :joy:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
866 Posts
ilan said:
I wanted to use this thread to ask about RDS in audio system II (nav). when I change to a station that uses RDS, the display show the RDS info but it doesn't seem to change it as often as the station does so it's kind of 'stuck' on a single rds messege. does anybody else experiencing it ?

I.
Assuming the RDS info is displaying at all, what does get displayed is completely up to the radio station. Some stations don't broadcast the signal at all. Some (most in my area) only send the station call letters. Others send the stations slogan instead of call letters (e.g., "Oldies hits", etc.). While some stations broadcast the current song title/artist.

I suspect it has a lot to do with the equipment installed at the radio station, and how much time they really bother to spend with it. For example, to display the current song/artist I suspect they depend on that information to be available on the media they are playing, and the interface to the RDS broadcast system. So relatively new CD's that have digital info available could broadcast this info on RDS. But if they play a vintage vinal album, or an older CD, the info isn't availabe on the media. I doubt they would expend resources on having someone type this into a terminal to be broadcast, if it isn't there on the media already.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
4x4s said:
ilan said:
I wanted to use this thread to ask about RDS in audio system II (nav). when I change to a station that uses RDS, the display show the RDS info but it doesn't seem to change it as often as the station does so it's kind of 'stuck' on a single rds messege. does anybody else experiencing it ?

I.
Assuming the RDS info is displaying at all, what does get displayed is completely up to the radio station. Some stations don't broadcast the signal at all. Some (most in my area) only send the station call letters. Others send the stations slogan instead of call letters (e.g., "Oldies hits", etc.). While some stations broadcast the current song title/artist.

I suspect it has a lot to do with the equipment installed at the radio station, and how much time they really bother to spend with it. For example, to display the current song/artist I suspect they depend on that information to be available on the media they are playing, and the interface to the RDS broadcast system. So relatively new CD's that have digital info available could broadcast this info on RDS. But if they play a vintage vinal album, or an older CD, the info isn't availabe on the media. I doubt they would expend resources on having someone type this into a terminal to be broadcast, if it isn't there on the media already.
This is not what I meant. I guess what I am saying is that the station is broadcasting information over RDS but the A.S II only gets parts of it and looks like it doesn't "refresh" often enough. I used to have a RDS radio in my previous car and I used to see much more information.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
ilan, I would suspect either your Treg's antennae is not picking up as much RDS data as you used to, or the stations have cut back on the RDS content. I see that you're from So. Cal, where I can receive DOW/Nasdaq info on Star 98.7 when caught in LA's lovely freeway systems. But when I hit the hills, little or no RDS data will display.

Other than that, the Treg's RDS display is as complete as any others. At least after resuming it with 4x4s Fuse 11 trick... thx!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Perry said:
ilan, I would suspect either your Treg's antennae is not picking up as much RDS data as you used to, or the stations have cut back on the RDS content. I see that you're from So. Cal, where I can receive DOW/Nasdaq info on Star 98.7 when caught in LA's lovely freeway systems. But when I hit the hills, little or no RDS data will display.

Other than that, the Treg's RDS display is as complete as any others. At least after resuming it with 4x4s Fuse 11 trick... thx!
Thanks. I'll try the Fuse 11 trick and see if it improve anything.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top