Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forums, so I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but is anyone interested in taking their Tregs up to Rausch Creek Saturday April 13? I had mine up there last weekend and ran the green trails with zero problems and ran the pink Topless for Tatas trail from start to finish (rated blue trail) with no trouble as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm new to the form myself , I just picked up a used 2011 sport Touareg last Monday . I'm from NYC. And I would love to head out there myself , I'm up for it but I'm only off on Sundays and Mondays . Congrats on your Touareg . Inbox me if you still want up go .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are heading to rausch creek this Sunday. If you don't have larger than factory tires, and aren't willing to risk roughing up your treg, I wouldn't bother.

Chico, what is your experience level with rocky, muddy, narrow trails? I only ask because some of the trails were narrow enough that I had to fold my mirrors in and had only inches on each side of the fenders, rocks that tore up almost all the plastic "skid plates" under the treg, and mud everywhere. If it weren't for the 32" BFG M/Ts I'm running and years of experience offroad, we wouldn't have had a chance.

Should be getting there around 9:30-10:00, depending on when the jeep club we're going with leaves the meeting spot.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Sounds like fun . Would love to join in. Will be heading out Sunday if all goes well. (Australia)
Love to see some more pics.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just wanted to bump this up and ask a question:

I'm in the process of buying a 07 v10 TDI with stock-size toyo country a/t with some decent meat left on them.

I'm looking to take the treg off-roading in the sense of 'green rated trails', some moderate sand, mud, and puddles up to maybe 12-18" deep. Basically, enough off-roading to have fun but no rock-climbing, not serious mudding or sand dunes, and no real crazy ravines.

My question for Rausch creek is this: Do they have green-rated trails that fit this bill but aren't narrow trails that will scratch up the exterior? From pictures, it looks like they have plenty - but you never know what came before or after the pictures either!

Also considering the pine barrens for the same thing, though my experience in the pine barrens is that the trails would pin-stripe the side of the treg pretty quickly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wide, safe green trails

Yes, Rausch Creek does have plenty of wide green trails that you won't scratch up the body on. Just make sure your navigator is reading the trail maps accurately. We were on a blue trail that had "black hill climbs and black/red rock sections." I, being the stubborn jackas$ that I am, decided to try to drive and read the map at the same time(the maps are really helpful, but aren't overly specific to the turns and bends on the trails, especially the bypasses). I misjudged the distance we'd travelled and went right instead of left on one section, following all of the jeeps I was with(except for the camera man who went left to get ahead of the group. About 25-30 yards into it, my wife grabbed the map, called me a few names other than honey or sweetheart, and informed me that we were on one of the black/red rock crawl sections. I said ok, well we're already in it so what the hell, lets do it. 30 minutes and two slightly banged up rocker panels later, we were out of it the looks we got as we were going through were priceless, or so I thought. We went down blue trails the rest of the day, almost flipping once or twice. then we headed back to the entrance, and on the way, I saw a mud out that was screaming my name. Unfortunately, the huge rock hidden under the mud about 10-15 feet in decided to remain quiet and grab my back bumper as I flew into it. After a couple minutes of slinging mud everywhere, we straightened the back bumper and hooked up to a jeep with a winch. That didn't work. So we hooked the jeep to a tree and that finally worked. That rock also decided to catch my exhaust(which was cut off after the resonator for more clearance), and proceeded to bend my exhaust in half, twist it, and stall the engine, which was already underwater/mud. It also ripped off the front bumper as that came out. I had to take the rest of the exhaust off so I was running nothing past the cat.

Despite the odds, the treg drove the 2 1/2 hours home without a single vibration other than the normal BFG mud terrain sound and open exhaust.

Two days later, however, coming home from the mall, the viscous coupling on the brand new rear driveshaft was apparently faulty, resulting in the driveshaft striking the underside of the vehicle hard enough to set off the driver side curtain airbags and the whole center console lifted off the floor. When I brought it to the dealer for warranty repair on the driveshaft, they fully inspected the undercarriage and discovered more than $21,000 worth of damage hahaha. Both subframes were trashed, all control arms(front and rear) were bent, struts front and rear were bent, steering components were bent, both rocker panels were trashed, and everything underneath was bent, broken, cracked, or somehow otherwise damaged. Needless to say, the vehicle was totalled and destroyed to ensure that it would never be put on the road again.

Looking back, I should have bought it back for the $1500 they wanted for it and built a full cage, tube frame, solid axle swap, converted to a cabled throttle body setup, and started from there to build a badass machine.

But instead I let them have it and bought a super duty F250.

Moral of the story, read your maps, pay attention, and listen to your wife lol

·
Registered
155 Posts
That is somehow terrible and awesome at the same time :)

Thanks for that. I'd be going to Rausch Creek with an '94 Chevy 1500 Z71 that has been beat up pretty good and 2004 wrangler with upsized a/t tires. The wrangler owner cares some about his paint, but not a ton. I care about my paint and body panels and i'm missing a couple under-body plastic skidplates (according to the PPI but i think they actually meant to say I'm missing the engine plastic surround on top).

Anyway, I'm comfortable having a good time at Rausch on trails appropriate for a daily driven touareg who wants to keep the paint in good shape. Sounds like those exist for me there, especially in off-road mode on the air suspension. If we want to get into some of the harder trails, I can park and hop in a friend's car.

Sounds like I'll be planning a trip in the next 2 months :)

·
Super Moderator
9,368 Posts
Joe, yours with air will be a bit more capable then the OP's was. I'm in no way saying it is invincable, but you would have a slightly better time being able to raise it higher. I personally would avoid mud holes unless you know for sure what is in them. Not worth tearing up the underside of you Treg. Just be aware of you surroundings and look for a turn out or go around if you truly don't feel comfortable with anything you come across. Use a spotter too if you are not sure. I have never been to Rausch Creek, but have off roaded my TDI and am aware of this type of terrain.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks Yeti. I'm going to arrange a trip once I get the touareg and freshen up it's core fluids (trans, center diff, rear diff, oil) and feel confident in it's reliability. It will also be under a solid warranty for 3/36, though that doesn't cover suspension.

I'll definitely post the event once the time comes. Looking forward to becoming a tregger within the next few days (just waiting for title to come in so I can take possession and register the vehicle).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts