Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just wondering if anyone else has lots of rattles? Bought the car 6 months ago brand new, it rattled awfully on day one so went back. Was much better after this only to rattle again within a few weeks.

Now 10'000kms in and have a buzzing from the rear somewhere, a rattle from the passenger side, the instrument housing buzzes and a rattle from the centre of the dash.

I have been back three times now and was told the last time that "we shall have a look but all every car rattles"

I have had lots of cars but getting really frustrated-- would appreciate any thoughts or advice.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The Touareg should NOT rattle.

If you have consumer protection law, invoke it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Mine has some buzzes. I hear buzzing in the instrument cluster and the sliding ash tray cover. It's annoying but not a deal-breaker for me.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Rattles can be a pain but sometimes they're from unexpected causes. Try removing *everything* from the glovebox, center console, door bins, upper & lower dash bins, etc. and see if any of the rattles go away.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I've been down this road with my dealership. It's a dead end. I had to deal with it myself after two attempts to get the dealership to help. They either say "no noise found", or say they found the noise and fixed it, then the noise is still there on my way home. I gave up on them.

Buy a set of interior trim tools (plastic levers and spoons). Also buy some thin adhesive backed foam tape and also Mylar tape . These can be found online, and they are for this exact purpose of making interior trim quiet.

1) Remove ALL of the suspected offending pieces of trim. Then drive a few days, noting if it is quieter. If you have a weekend to play with, you can start Saturday morning removing the trim and driving.

2) Install ONE piece of trim at a a time. Drive at least a few hours before deciding if that trim piece is causing noise. If so, you can remove it again and try some foam or Mylar tape to hush it.

3) I have gone the route of jamming foam in between trim pieces using the thin edge of a trim tool. 99% of the annoying rattles/squeaks are gone. I have a couple minor ones left, but I think they are deeper (inside doors or in dash).

Be patient. It might take more than a week (it took me three patient weeks to eliminate about 5 problem areas).

The worst noise was coming from the trim panel of the passenger door making contact with the side dash panel when the door is closed. I found it by putting a piece of soft foam in between and closing the door on it, trapping it between, The noise was banished. I had to use a Dremel rotary tool and a grout removal bit to chew some plastic of the dash panel. Noise Gone!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts