·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
930 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
How about reliability? How do these rovers compare, the older tdi had a few issues I heard
I'm aware of reputations on reliability - LR is carp and VW invincible - I can't find any reliable statistics that there's actually a difference - LR have improved and VW isn't as good as their reputation

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think they are reliable but expensive to own and buy. The one I sat in was 108k. Like I said my dream car so 2-3 years the base are maybe in my range and certified is to 100k. Ya gotta sit in one I would take it over a cayenne diesel any minute of the year. They are built exquisitely the seating leather is unreal. A lot of money but they are in there own class they make their own diesel motor

·
Registered
219 Posts
Unreliable, read up on it/ Rated poor by CR almost every year. At least Touareg is rated average.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
US News ranks em higher than the Q7 but in 3 years I will check again, prolly more data on the 016's. Thanks

·
Registered
930 Posts
I think they are reliable but expensive to own and buy. The one I sat in was 108k. Like I said my dream car so 2-3 years the base are maybe in my range and certified is to 100k. Ya gotta sit in one I would take it over a cayenne diesel any minute of the year. They are built exquisitely the seating leather is unreal. A lot of money but they are in there own class they make their own diesel motor
A number of UK customers have had issues with seat leather.

The JLR V6/V8 diesel is built by Ford as it originates from JLR's time under Ford ownership - it's part of the Ford Lion series which is also shared with Citroen/Peugeot under the Ford-PSA engine alliance - the Land Rover/Range Rover version is unique to JLR as is the Jaguar version.

The all-new Ingenium range will eventually include V6/V8 diesels and petrol/gasoline but the all-new factory is only just coping with demand for the I4 versions in small/medium JLR models.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks was told by the salesman its their own motor. Realistically never be able to own one but certainly never out of warrantee of some kind. Just dreaming but the seating is sure nice I drove the big one with I think it was double over head cam V8? it was super nice for an Escalade size. I believe all makers are becoming reliable the old Range Rovers would cost ya an arm and leg to own.

3 years is an eternity in the automaker world who knows cars that drive themselves in 6 years?

·
Registered
501 Posts
I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but do a search on fatal bearing failures on that LR V-6 TD engine.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I've been going through "what car next" dilemmas as I too love the RRS as they're sexy, go well and drip sophistication but I can't bring myself to buy another car that's not terribly reliable and the company has a rep of poor service.

I've settled on waiting for the replacement to the GL which should be the GLS. They go well, have excellent service, top notch interior, suspension and handling and with the "off-road pack" ( yes I know it's a Merc and not "really" an off-road vehicle in the traditional sense) it is as capable as the Touareg and for the sand work which I mainly do is as capable as the RRS.

The only thing that has stopped me up until late is that as a 36 year old I have always viewed Mercs as an old person's car but I think they have done a lot to change that image recently. I guess I'm just sick of unnecessary compromise.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
The GL soon to be GLS is excellent. I love it too. Odd thing with Mercs is I love everything pre 1990s, but from 1990-2010 their styling and overall look was not to my liking at all. Since the last gen C class through today, I'm finding they have found a look which screams MB instead of screaming "where's my gold necklace to match my tacky car"

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
A co worker has two land rovers his and the shop loaner he drives half the time. I don't know how they sell cars, after seeing his experience and countless others (including a brand new one stopped on the freeway with its radiator blow out). Crazy makes VW look like Toyota.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
The GL soon to be GLS is excellent. I love it too. Odd thing with Mercs is I love everything pre 1990s, but from 1990-2010 their styling and overall look was not to my liking at all. Since the last gen C class through today, I'm finding they have found a look which screams MB instead of screaming "where's my gold necklace to match my tacky car"
Too funny! ;)

I'm leaning to the GL as well, but most likely used. One thing I need to check is car seats. I've been told - by my wife ;) - that three across is impossible.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts