Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused2:

Here's a new one. The gas gauge indicated I had a quarter tank remaining and the car ran out of gas. Of course that happens you lose your brakes, steering etc. I was going about 60 mph and barely made it off the road and wound up driving into a field. If anyone else has had this problem please let me know. I love the car but this is just another problem that I have had with it. I have also had problems with the tyre monitoring system, interior lights, and interior door handles.

· Registered
35 Posts
There is what I have been told as an adaptation mechanism with the gas gauge. A few time when I filled the gas tank to the top it always showed me that it was not full. Afterwards when I took it to the dealer I told him and he fixed it. The point is, if the adaptation mechanism is bad, it will show you an erroneous reading of the gas gauge. This might be the reason why you ran out of gas eventhough it showed you 1/4 tank (I think).
kris Raghunathan :writers_block:

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
follow up

Brought in the touareg on feb 28 . They ordered the parts but they are STILL on backorder over a month later. In the meantime I now have to take it in for the fifth time for a tyre monitoring system fault. This is my 3rd VW and my last.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The parts are in!!!!

To bad they ordered the wrong parts. :censored: I can't believe it took a month to get them in and it's not the right part. The dealership is having the correct part overnighted from another dealership. Why couldn't they have done that to begin with.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, picked up my touareg at 5 pm today and everything seemed to be fine. They said the gas gauge was taken care of and they also installed a new module for the tire monitoring system after bringing it in for that 5 times now. We go out to dinner and where on our way home and than it happened. The wonderful "ding" sound to notify you that there is a TIRE MONITOR SYSTEM FAULT!!!!!!!!!! :chainsaw: :censored: :evil: I moght just drive the car through the front of the dealership tomorrow. :drunk: And to make matters worse, the gas gauge is still giving an incorrect reading. I think it's time to look into the lemon law. If anyone has any advice please let me know. Thanks.

· Registered
3,295 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I know how frustrating it can be to take your vehicle to the shop repeatedly for the same thing.

I think looking into the lemon laws of Florida wouldn't be a bad thing.

Check out www.lemonlawamerica.com - this site was extremely helpful and got me in touch with an attorney who dealt with my case against Ford back in '02.

Good Luck

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The continuing saga of my touareg. I go to pick it up today and I am told be the service manager" We have no idea what's wrong with it". What a wonderful thing to hear them say :censored: . I have no idea when I will get it back.

· Administrator
4,378 Posts
Jnichols27 said:
The continuing saga of my touareg. I go to pick it up today and I am told be the service manager" We have no idea what's wrong with it". What a wonderful thing to hear them say :censored: . I have no idea when I will get it back.
This should be a simple recalibration of the gas gauge. Are you sure they have they done this???

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The tank takes the full amount of gas and they did recalibrate it. When you get down to a half of tank of gas, the car starts to die. It's stupid that a car in this price range should have so many problems. Even if it is a new model. I have had in the shop seven times in six months for the tire monitoring system fault. The problem with the tire monitoring system reminds me of the power window problems VW used to have. Between my wife's jetta and my jetta we had them in the shop fourteen times in two years to fix the windows. It took VW five years to come up with a better window mechanism. I have a bad feeling it's going to be the same way with the tire monitoring system.

· Premium Member
4,837 Posts
First off, you may need to find a better dealer.

There is a new module for the tire pressure monitoring system for those with problems that just came out recently and if your dealer hasn't installed it then he should.

As for the gas problem, you said it takes the full amount. Do you mean it takes the full 26.4 gallons, or that you can fill it until the tank is full?

If you can put the entire 26.4 gallons in when the car runs out of gas, then you have a fuel sensor problem. They should replace the sensor or at least be sure it is making it's full travel and note the readings throughout the travel. It could be getting stuck part way down.

If you can only put in 15 to 20 gallons when you run out of gas, then you have a fuel pickup problem. The sensor is fine but the fuel pickup isn't at the bottom of the tank.

All this aside, it shouldn't take an untrained person like myself to diagnose this problem. your dealer should be asking you these questions or diagnosing this issue as I am trying to do which is why I suggest you find another dealer.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They replaced the module for the tire monitoring system and 5 hours later I was getting another fault message. As far as the fuel goes, I been afraid to let it run down to low in fear of running out of gas. So I'm not sure how much fuel it will take. They did replace the fuel sensor the other day. I called the service department today and the service manager was on the service hotline with VOA. We'll see what happens. In the meantime though I have already sent in a lemon form to VOA with the complete service records of the vehicle.

· Registered
866 Posts
I second Spocks advice - find another dealer. There are good ones out there who will do you right, in spite of what VWoA does. They deserve our bussiness.

Good luck, keep us posted.

· Premium Member
4,837 Posts
Lemon law is probably a good way to go. Get a good one next time around.

As for the new tire monitoring system modules, I think these just came out within the last week or two. I don't recall if you said when you got the replacement but I suspect it was the same one (same p/n) as the old one rather than a new one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.