Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008, Touareg R50 (~160km) - working on rear wheel carrier, winch and driving lights.
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had an ECU remapping performed using Celtic Tuning protocols by Mike Dale Automotive in Adelaide. A$1200.

I also had the DPF physically removed with straight through pipes (by my AAA Exhausts). A$850. Flatbed truck to take it from Exhaust place to Mike was $90.

I don't know (don't really care) about performance improvement intended or dyno results (didn't matter to me).

The immediate anecdotal feedback:
  • dramatic reduction (almost elimination) in turbo lag. It seems to spool up immediately.
  • smoother running (less fussy gear hunting commuting up hills etc)
  • I am a grandfather of 3 grandkids and usually drive like one around town. It is noticeably easier to just amble around and it feels very comfortable doing it - before it was a bit like a tiger in a cage and never quite comfortable - it would sometimes not be real smooth in heavy traffic for instance
  • the sound level seems sort of lower! - a little more metallic perhaps but lacking in the (minor) growl that used to sort of go with planting your foot - it just seems to get up and do it's stuff, and really feels less inhibited and unrestricted (as perhaps it should, but I didn't expect it so distinctly).

Given the sensors and valves taken out of the maintenance "schedule", reduced carbon build-up on the intake, eliminated DPF fluid (itself) and associated paraphernalia I am feeling really good about this.

I would have preferred it sounded more like a V10 - maybe I'll consider deleting the suitcase muffler.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
If you remove the suitcase it WILL get loud

Reactions: mondial

·
Registered
2008, Touareg R50 (~160km) - working on rear wheel carrier, winch and driving lights.
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interested in efficiency changes. Should reduce your consumption ~.5-1L/100Km
It seems economy not significantly different (doesn’t really matter which is before or after).

obviously one route is 900m longer but they are pretty much identical trips.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

Rectangle Azure Slope Font Parallel

·
Registered
2016 Touareg TDI Executive white/terracotta
142 Posts
It seems economy not significantly different (doesn’t really matter which is before or after).

obviously one route is 900m longer but they are pretty much identical trips.

View attachment 248627
View attachment 248628
true, you’ve got the V10. Not exactly an efficiency oriented motor. I’d still be interested to see a highway mileage comparison

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Assuming the ECU mileage is correct, I get 5.5-6.0L/100km on highway driving and sometimes better. I don't really have any regular highway trips that I can use for comparison and haven't done enough highway driving before the retune to have any relevant content.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts