Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Longtime lurker here, but now active due to an issue with the Touareg.

I'll try and be succinct:

Owned my Treg for about 2 years, completely hassle free. No issues.

About a month ago, 'please apply brake' appeared on the display when turning ignition. Obviously the brake was applied.
This only occurred occasionally and only after a longish trip or when it's been sat in the heat of the summer sun. Had AA out 3 times and they plugged in their scanner and it read along the lines of 'unable to communicate with ecu' and nothing else found.

Since then, having searched forums etc, I opted today to replace relay no.109 as it seemed to be a a temperature related issue, as it occurs when engine is hot. No difference. I then popped to Euro Car Parts and picked up a brake pedal sensor and replaced that to start cancelling things out. Trying to avoid paying for garage labour which might be intensive if diagnoses takes a long time.

Still no good. Waited for a few hours and started it up no problems. However on my short trip back home, just before getting down my street, the glow plug light and engine management light both started flashing and workshop related warning came up. Didn't notice if went to limp mode, as I pulled up outside my house and left it.

So now I'm worse off, and wondering where to look next. Another thing, when it plays up, the gear selection on the display highlights all gears instead of the one engaged, this must be related somehow. I was also advised to use OEM parts for the brake pedal switch, which I can still order, but tried the one I bought just to see in the meantime. Would an original VW part make a difference? Or is the one from Euro Car Parts the correct one anyway?

I'm frustrated and getting annoyed now as it's a gamble every time I want to set off in the car to drive somewhere.

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate your advice. I may have to look into the £60 flat fee diagnoses at the VW dealership (assuming a VAGCOM unit might find more error codes), but trying to avoid them as they've previously been useless with any visits I've had with my other VW's in the past.

Thanks for reading,

Wallace

·
Registered
3,630 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I presume since you have an R5 that you do NOT live in the US - always useful to know where though.
It sounds like it is time for you to invest in VCDS. The auto parts store scanners are programmed for the 'standard' OBD codes... it is obvious that your issues are Touareg specific and can be diagnosed only by the factory computer system or by VAGCOM.
A 'please apply brake' message accompanied by a no-start would normally mean the electronic controls couldn't 'see' the brake being depressed. First test - the brake switch [but you did that].
Flashing warning light(s) usually mean something really important has gone wrong - fix it right away or damage may occur. Only a VCDS scan or the dealer diagnostic [or a good indy with VCDS] will be able to tell what the car computer thinks is wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts