Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy All

Just got a new set of tyres on my R Line (275/40 R21s), scoured the tyre dealer and wholesale tyre network to no avail, and finally resorted to going through my local dealership.

Dunlops completely out in Oz (only got 33,500 out of them) had Pirelli Scorpions put on today.

So if you are getting low on your R Line rubber, get in early.

Anyone had any experience with the Pirellis? I was hoping I might get better mileage than the Dunlops which were a super soft compound.

Cheers

·
Registered
501 Posts
Howdy All

Just got a new set of tyres on my R Line (275/40 R21s), scoured the tyre dealer and wholesale tyre network to no avail, and finally resorted to going through my local dealership.

Dunlops completely out in Oz (only got 33,500 out of them) had Pirelli Scorpions put on today.

So if you are getting low on your R Line rubber, get in early.

Anyone had any experience with the Pirellis? I was hoping I might get better mileage than the Dunlops which were a super soft compound.

Cheers
How much did you pay for the Pirrelli's? I believe the Pirrelli's are OEM tyres for the R-Line.

Bob-Jane quoted me the RRP of $900 per Pirrelli, last Saturday arvo.

I will find out what brand tyres I get when I collect mine at the end of the month.

·
Registered
327 Posts
How much did you pay for the Pirrelli's? I believe the Pirrelli's are OEM tyres for the R-Line.

Bob-Jane quoted me the RRP of $900 per Pirrelli, last Saturday arvo.

I will find out what brand tyres I get when I collect mine at the end of the month.
I got Bob to price match from Tyresales for my 18" .....got Pirrelli Scorpion Verde on all four for 1100 odd fitted and balanced.
BTW the Verdes are having some bad reviews as some have mentioned here on CT. I took the risk given the price and I can always complain if they do not reach 20k.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
265/40/21 would give you a -1% difference in drive ratio eg speedo reads 100kph actual 99kph Dunlop sportmaxx $399 ea
Continential contisportcontact $419 ea

Or 265/45/21 would give you a +2.5% difference in drive ratio eg speedo reads 100kph actual 102.5kph and most likely give slightly better open road economy. Dunlop SP Sport 01 $550

all would be a more than acceptable alternative.

regards
Drag

·
Registered
501 Posts
I got Bob to price match from Tyresales for my 18" .....got Pirrelli Scorpion Verde on all four for 1100 odd fitted and balanced.
BTW the Verdes are having some bad reviews as some have mentioned here on CT. I took the risk given the price and I can always complain if they do not reach 20k.
What is the load rating? 110?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey nm2003

I was quoted $500 a corner for Dunlops which they could not source, and paid $590 ea for the Pirellis.

They drive a little differently, and I expect will wear a little better than the Dunlops which were the originals that came with it. A little noisier maybe as well.

Their load/speed rating is 107V.

·
Registered
327 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
109V from BoB owned office - Franchises do not budge too much on prices.

PIRELLI SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON 255 55 18 109V Tyres - buy tyres online for the best price
Hi Vinnie,, these tyres in your link are in a different league size wise.

18" compared to the 21" on the R-Line.

The site you provided did not even have 275/45 R21's listed, but instead took you to a inquiry screen.

Regarding the load rating, what is the OEM reccmmended load rating?

From memory, I believe the factory tyres have a load rating of 110W for the 21" Pirelli''s.

Drag, most of the tyres you mentioned are car tyres, not SUV, with load ratings of 101-105.

I am not sure if they are suitable, to carry the extra weight of the Touareg.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hey nm2003

I was quoted $500 a corner for Dunlops which they could not source, and paid $590 ea for the Pirellis.

They drive a little differently, and I expect will wear a little better than the Dunlops which were the originals that came with it. A little noisier maybe as well.

Their load/speed rating is 107V.
What model Dunlops did you have from factory and what spec, including load/speed?

It will be interesting to find out what tyres I end up getting the Aust spec MY15 R-Lines when I get mine delivered.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Hi Vinnie,, these tyres in your link are in a different league size wise.

18" compared to the 21" on the R-Line.

The site you provided did not even have 275/45 R21's listed, but instead took you to a inquiry screen.

Regarding the load rating, what is the OEM reccmmended load rating?

From memory, I believe the factory tyres have a load rating of 110W for the 21" Pirelli''s.

Drag, most of the tyres you mentioned are car tyres, not SUV, with load ratings of 101-105.

I am not sure if they are suitable, to carry the extra weight of the Touareg.

Car tyres don't you mean road tyres? doesn't that suit a no low range vehicle ? lol
101 load rating gives 3300kg max on 4 tyres
105 gives 3700kg max on 4 tyres

I am pretty sure that fits within the attached VW spec gross vehicle sheet of 2840kg ?

regards
Drag

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts