Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a line to splice in a FrostHeater and found these two coolant lines that come off the back of the motor and snake down by the left front differential axle tube and head out to the driver's wheel well where they convert to hard lines I'm guessing for the webasto heater.

Where do these lines come from and where do they go?
thanks!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Photo?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
For the circulating heater, you need a supply line as low as possible on the block. The return line should be higher so that there is at least 12" of rise to get the thermosyphon action going. See if you can find a lower block drain that you could thread a nipple into.

You can't just use the Webasto lines, as the Webasto has a circulating pump built in.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Question: why wouldn't you just convert your Webasto to a parking heater?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
First off, "Frostheater" is a kit sold from FrostHeater.com - Welcome. They just put together a 1000W Philips&Temro circulating heater with two molded hoses, clamps, a mounting bracket and a bag of M&Ms. The kit is not necessary as you can use unmolded heater hose without problems. So you could save time and money and buy the items separately. Or support a VW vendor and buy the kit.

That being said, if you buy the kit, you also get a great set of install instructions. I don't feel right sharing those instructions, except to say that the heater installs at the back of the engine on the NA passenger side.

Generally, when installing these types of heaters, you need as much rise as possible from the heater outlet to where it is plumbed into the system. This rise is what creates the thermosiphon circulation. Get enough rise and you can actually feel the coolant moving through the hose.

Keep in mind that the heater comes with a check valve installed in the inlet. You need to remove the check valve for the VW installation (following the Frostheater instructions). In most other applications, the check valve is required. The Frostheater kit already has it removed.

I can't comment on the performance of the heater on the V6 TDI yet, as mine is going in later this week. But the one in my wife's Golf is phenomenal! And the one I installed on my LandCruiser turbodiesel also worked great. Temperature to normal operating point when you first turn the key!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I pulled this unit (mine's actually a ZeroStart (Frostheater clone or competition?)) off a VW TDI Passat at a local pick-n-pull for $2.50!
I understand how it works but I've not yet seen anyone installing one on the V10 Touareg because most people are satisfied is doling out $$$ for the Telestart option, which I'm not.

I'll give it a try. Most likely have to mount it behind the front bumper and run lines to-from it. Not ideal I know but hopefully better than 15 mins of running warmup time.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there a cooling system workshop or diagram that displays what and where line go to-from?
There are a bazillion cooling lines on this puppy.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I pulled this unit (mine's actually a ZeroStart (Frostheater clone or competition?)) off a VW TDI Passat at a local pick-n-pull for $2.50!
I understand how it works but I've not yet seen anyone installing one on the V10 Touareg because most people are satisfied is doling out $$$ for the Telestart option, which I'm not.

I'll give it a try. Most likely have to mount it behind the front bumper and run lines to-from it. Not ideal I know but hopefully better than 15 mins of running warmup time.
Zerostart is Philips & Temro's model name.

Again, Frostheater doesn't make anything - they just kit these. Please stop calling the heater a Frostheater.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Iit. Not ideal I know but hopefully better than 15 mins of running warmup time.
This has been covered many times: that's the worst thing you can do to a Tdi.

Get in and drive off, don't let it idle.

It will get up to temperature much faster and with minimal wear.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
^^^^Agreed.

Just let the oil pressure come up, then drive it gently until it warms up a bit.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If you have a 2004 you have nothing to convert... just install the remote.

The Webasto has almost 10x the heat output of a Zerostart / Frost heater.

-J

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Compu_85
The Webasto works great. To convert it to remote and programmable start, its will cost over $100 easily, probably 2x that irrc.
While that would be neat, I'd rather not waste fuel and battery pre-heating if there's the capability to install a coolant heater.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've installed my coolant heater on the v10 today and will test it's functionality prior to posting pictures for others looking to do the same. Actually rather simple to do and only cost $18 in supplies + price of coolant heater.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The Webasto is cheaper to run than a Zerostart. 15 minutes and the engine and truck are up to temp, vs 2+ hours for the plug in heater. I got my remote unit from eBay, I think it was about $175. The V10 has two batteries for a reason.

I'd suggest putting a circulation pump in line with the zerostart, or get a better block heater with a built in pump.

-J

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
The Webasto is cheaper to run than a Zerostart. 15 minutes and the engine and truck are up to temp, vs 2+ hours for the plug in heater. I got my remote unit from eBay, I think it was about $175. The V10 has two batteries for a reason.

I'd suggest putting a circulation pump in line with the zerostart, or get a better block heater with a built in pump.

-J
I researched coolant heaters with built in circulating pump and the price was about $1500. For that price, a Webasto is a better option.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Compu_85
The Webasto works great. To convert it to remote and programmable start, its will cost over $100 easily, probably 2x that irrc.
To be honest, if the remote kit is too expensive for you a V10 is probably the wrong vehicle to own...

-J

1 - 19 of 19 Posts