Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I came back with other questions and need some advice.

I am planning to change ATF, engine oil, differential (front & rear) and/or transfer case(?) as I feel a bit of rough gear shifting.
I did search and studied with sticky threads from nikoloz and got rough idea of the job but I still need some information before I start doing this.

1. What part numbers and what grade for ATF change?

It seems like I need 1 x new filter, some ATF(approx 7-8L ?) and a new pan gasket. The DIY thread on ATF change does not state what part numbers they are and also his touareg is V8 diesel, not V6 FSI which I own. Are they the same transmission? I have 2007 Touareg, V6 FSI (T1 maybe?) and the trans.code from the label says "BHK".

2. What is transfer case?
Sorry this maybe a stupid questions but I came from Toyota & Lexus (sedan) world so I might be asking stupid questions for sometime until I get used to with my touareg. Do I need to use same oil for this as differential oil?

3. For the differential oil, I found that I need to use 75W-90 Synthetic Long life gear oil. I will go look for the same spec oils from Supercheap auto soon but I wonder if you recommend any oils that was already tried and proven. If not, again, what is the VW genuine gear oil part number and price for that?

4. When you change engine oil, do you normally change the oil filter together?
I looked at the service log book and found that the engine oil filter was not changed every time when oil was replaced.
In toyota and lexus, they are normally changed together so this confuses me a bit.
What is the interval for engine oil filter replacement? and What is the part number for that?

5. Is it ok to use compatible parts/oils if VW approved spec or VW genuine is the way to go? I can see the ATF oil is nearly 3 times more expensive than compatible brands from some ATF threads, not sure in Australia, but I am willing to save some bucks buying compatible brands if there is no problems using them. I had no problem with Toyota & Lexus in this way and I wonder if that works in VW as well.
What are your opinions?

Sorry for too many questions and if duplicated but I am trying to make sure my touareg in good condition so I can drive it for next 15k km without any problems.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Jin

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Always change the filter when you change the engine oil.

Get the transfer box oil in the correct 850ml bottle from your VW dealer. They will probably need to order it in for you.

And whilst there you can get the part numbers and prices you need! I would certainly stick with VW for the engine filter and the gearbox parts. Trying to save a few dollars on items protecting VERY expensive parts isn't worth the risk.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Hi all.

I came back with other questions and need some advice.

I am planning to change ATF, engine oil, differential (front & rear) and/or transfer case(?) as I feel a bit of rough gear shifting.
I did search and studied with sticky threads from nikoloz and got rough idea of the job but I still need some information before I start doing this.

1. What part numbers and what grade for ATF change?

Genuine ATF fluid part # G 055025A2
I use Full Synthetic Multi Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid - Nulon Products Australia all the time and have had no issues.

Transmission pan gasket part # 09D321371
Transmission oil strainer part # 09D325435
Oil strainer O-ring part # 09D325443
Pan drain plug crush washer part # 09D321181
Transmission Filler plug O-ring part # 09D321379
Or one example of online parts Automatic Transmission Filter KIT Touareg Q7 6 Speed Diesel VW TDI 2003 2010 | eBay minus the crush washer.

And you will need a few other small tools and a device to fill the transmission with.

You really need to flush the tranny 3 times to remove the old fluid

All use basically the same transmission just oil volume is greater on the V10 but you will only get about 6-7 litres on a drain with pan removal and about 5L on drain only.

It seems like I need 1 x new filter, some ATF(approx 7-8L ?) and a new pan gasket. The DIY thread on ATF change does not state what part numbers they are and also his touareg is V8 diesel, not V6 FSI which I own. Are they the same transmission? I have 2007 Touareg, V6 FSI (T1 maybe?) and the trans.code from the label says "BHK".

2. What is transfer case?
Sorry this maybe a stupid questions but I came from Toyota & Lexus (sedan) world so I might be asking stupid questions for sometime until I get used to with my touareg. Do I need to use same oil for this as differential oil? Use genuine oil only part # G 052515A2 850ml bottle

3. For the differential oil, I found that I need to use 75W-90 Synthetic Long life gear oil. I will go look for the same spec oils from Supercheap auto soon but I wonder if you recommend any oils that was already tried and proven. If not, again, what is the VW genuine gear oil part number and price for that? Do you have a rear locking diff if so only use genuine fluid in it otherwise Full Synthetic 75W-90 Performance Smooth Shift Manual Gearbox and Transaxle Oil - Nulon Products Australia will be fine in both front and rear diffs.

4. When you change engine oil, do you normally change the oil filter together? Oil and filter together fuel filter every second oil change I use http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Full_Synthetic_Engine_Oils/Full_Synthetic_5W-30_EURO_Engine_Oil
I looked at the service log book and found that the engine oil filter was not changed every time when oil was replaced.
In toyota and lexus, they are normally changed together so this confuses me a bit.
What is the interval for engine oil filter replacement? and What is the part number for that?

5. Is it ok to use compatible parts/oils if VW approved spec or VW genuine is the way to go? I can see the ATF oil is nearly 3 times more expensive than compatible brands from some ATF threads, not sure in Australia, but I am willing to save some bucks buying compatible brands if there is no problems using them. I had no problem with Toyota & Lexus in this way and I wonder if that works in VW as well.
What are your opinions?
I hardly ever use OEM fluids but always use a reputable supplier.

Sorry for too many questions and if duplicated but I am trying to make sure my touareg in good condition so I can drive it for next 15k km without any problems.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Jin
See above
Check your rear drive shaft centre bearing + brake fluid flush + power steering fluid change + coolant change.

Regards
Drag

·
Registered
121 Posts
There's a thread from about 3 years back called "60k servicing on a T2" and in it there is info about full fluid changes as i did that to my V8. Photos and part numbers for fluids and nuts etc. hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Always change the filter when you change the engine oil.

Get the transfer box oil in the correct 850ml bottle from your VW dealer. They will probably need to order it in for you.

And whilst there you can get the part numbers and prices you need! I would certainly stick with VW for the engine filter and the gearbox parts. Trying to save a few dollars on items protecting VERY expensive parts isn't worth the risk.
Whilst I don't disagree with the above I'll add my two cents worth.

1) I change oil filter every second change, oil filters filter better with age, but they will restrict oil flow if to dirty.
2) No engine manufacturer makes their own filters that I am aware of. so finding the manufacturer than makes the Touareg filter can saver dollars.

Fresh oils is the best care, and the right oils need to be part of the equation.

Reactions: jindandy

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks all for the good info!
I am crossing a lot of questions out with all your answers but couple of more questions are in my head yet to be crossed out.

Is the kit from Ebay any good? I am worried if those kits are as good as OEM parts and cause any leaking or fitting problems.
I do not really mind using those third party parts as long as they don't have any problems.
Has anyone tried those kits from Ebay?

Secondly, what is the quantity of each part required?
I put numbers down next to each part but please correct me if I am wrong.

Transmission pan gasket part # 09D321371 (1)
Transmission oil strainer part # 09D325435 (1)
Oil strainer O-ring part # 09D325443 (1)
Pan drain plug crush washer part # 09D321181 (1)- 09D321181B supercede 09D321181(?)
Transmission Filler plug O-ring part # 09D321379 (1)
Any other parts are required apart from fluids?

Or one example of online parts Automatic Transmission Filter KIT Touareg Q7 6 Speed Diesel VW TDI 2003 2010 | eBay minus the crush washer. -> This kit contains 09D325435, 09D321371, 09D325443 and 09D321379. But in the picture, it also has the metal rings that fit in the pan gasket holes as well. Do I need to replace them as well?

Thanks.
Jin

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Thanks all for the good info!
I am crossing a lot of questions out with all your answers but couple of more questions are in my head yet to be crossed out.

Is the kit from Ebay any good? I am worried if those kits are as good as OEM parts and cause any leaking or fitting problems.
I do not really mind using those third party parts as long as they don't have any problems.
Has anyone tried those kits from Ebay?

Secondly, what is the quantity of each part required?
I put numbers down next to each part but please correct me if I am wrong.

Transmission pan gasket part # 09D321371 (1)
Transmission oil strainer part # 09D325435 (1)
Oil strainer O-ring part # 09D325443 (1)
Pan drain plug crush washer part # 09D321181 (1)- 09D321181B supercede 09D321181(?)
Transmission Filler plug O-ring part # 09D321379 (1)
Any other parts are required apart from fluids?

Or one example of online parts Automatic Transmission Filter KIT Touareg Q7 6 Speed Diesel VW TDI 2003 2010 | eBay minus the crush washer. -> This kit contains 09D325435, 09D321371, 09D325443 and 09D321379. But in the picture, it also has the metal rings that fit in the pan gasket holes as well. Do I need to replace them as well?

Thanks.
Jin
Hi Jin,

I'm currently ordering parts to do my second transmission and diff service so and just placed an order for all parts required (except ATF fluid) ex USA from Discount OEM VW Parts & Accessories | Volkswagen Parts Nation.
I prefer to use genuine OEM parts whenever possible so don't mind paying a little premium for peace of mind, buying from the US makes that premium tolerable.

To answer your specific questions, the crush washer does have the "B" suffix, re the metal rings I cannot remember if they come with the OEM gasket, (don't think so) but you can reuse the rings from your old gasket as all they are there for is so you don't squash the gasket by overtightening the pan bolts.

I agree with Drag on using the Nulon Full Synthetic Multi Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid, I have used it in my last transmission service as I wasn't prepared to pay over $500 for 9 ltrs of OEM ATF fluid (G055025A2).
I would strongly recommend only using OEM fluids for the transfer box and differentials as there have been a number of reported issues on the forum by using non OEM oils.

If you do want to go OEM you will need 2 lts of part# G052515A2 for the transfer case and 3 bottles (from memory I think they are 850ml each) of axle oil, part# G052145S2 for the diffs.

Check out the US pricing from the link plus their shipping costs are also reasonable, if you need any more info, let me know.

TonyB

Reactions: jindandy

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks seafarer28.

I ordered all the parts except gear oil and ATF from the link you provided.
It costs me just under $300 with EMS so hopefully I can start the work next coming weekend.
I was kinda rushing over this weekend and was wondering if that price is cheap..?
I didn't have a chance to call VW service dept as they are closed on Sat arvo and Sunday.

BTW, why do I need 2 liters of G052515A2 for transfer case?
I had a look at the fulid capacity chart from this forum and it shows the transfer case only holds 0.85L.

I ordered a bottle of G052515A2 from VW parts nation but I will need to order two more bottle from dealer if I need 2 liters of it.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The transfer box oil comes from the VW dealer in the correct sized single bottle of 850ml.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
"I was kinda rushing over this weekend and was wondering if that price is cheap..?
I didn't have a chance to call VW service dept as they are closed on Sat arvo and Sunday."

PM me your email address and I will send you my last dealer quote for parts which will show you the AUD costings.

"BTW, why do I need 2 liters of G052515A2 for transfer case?
I had a look at the fulid capacity chart from this forum and it shows the transfer case only holds 0.85L."

Only because my dealer quoted me as two required for the service, maybe the second is a safety measure as the quantity needed is exactly the quantity taken so you may well be right that only one is necessary.

TonyB

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
One only . . . unless you spill it!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for the tips and info especially drag and seafarer.

Now I have finished changing front&rear diff oil with nulon full synthetic 75w-90. It was easy and took about 1.5 hour.

I felt a bit smoother drive (maybe just placebo effect?) after oil change. However, the oil from diffs were very black and I even could see some kind of separation(?) from rear diff oil.
It seems like the oil from diffs never been replaced before. No wonder why the log book did not have any record of diff oil replacement although mine has full service record from dealer.

And now I am going to do the transmission and transfer box as soon as the genuine parts are delivered from the USA.

Just have one more question that what sizes of allen key do I need for the drain bolt and refill bolt from the tranny pan? Drain bolt seems normal but the refill bolt size seems quite big and I feel like I may not have that size of allen key.

Can anyone advise for this final bit of question please?

Jin

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
It seems like the oil from diffs never been replaced before. No wonder why the log book did not have any record of diff oil replacement although mine has full service record from dealer.
As far as VW is concerned the gearbox, diffs and transfer box are all "sealed for life" items and are therefore not serviced, so it's no surprise at all to read you can't find any records despite having a full service history.

Yes, we know - it's just plain stupid!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts