Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in research for a new SUV and I have some question for the owners:

I keep hearing that vW and other european cars have a high maintence price, is this true, can you explain?

Are there any Touareg owners in S. CA that have problems with their Navi System?

· Registered
715 Posts
I'm in so cal but don't have Navi. From what I've heard after talking to folks with it, though, they have not yet experienced trouble of any kind in the area.

Maintenance .. yea.. it's not that much more expensive than other vehicles. VW is trying to raise the bar and join the ranks of the "luxury" market. I paid $165 ish for my 5k service. Oil change + tire rotation at McKenna in Huntington. See my review in another post.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So if i buy a Touareg, can (and I would most possbily be able to) go to a place like Jiffy Lube to get a oil change or something similar like rotate tires. Anyway, heres the truth: My parents are looking for a new car, and I LOVE THE TOUAREG! so im trying to pursuade them to get a Touareg instead of a PILOT, and i have been researching for months on how to successfully get them to buy a TOUAREG. There have been 2 things that is keeping me from my goal:
1. The maintence price of European Cars
2. The Price of the Car

If anyone can figure out a defending argument for the above two, that will be GREAT!

Ron,

PS: ENJOY YOUR TOUAREGS!

· Registered
50 Posts
Edmunds calculates the Touareg V8 to be 76 cents per mile, the Touareg V6 to be 66 cents per mile, and the top of the line Honda Pilot to be 58 cents per mile. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the higher depreciation rate of Volkswagens, plus the greater fuel costs, plus higher price to begin with compared to Hondas handicaps the Touareg quite a bit.

The Pilot is really aimed at a different kind of SUV buyer since it seats up to 8 (as opposed to 5 in the Touareg) and is not really an offroad vehicle.

If your parents are looking for a cross between a luxury sports sedan and a "pull out all the stops" SUV, the Touareg is the ticket. The Pilot is a nice people mover.

· Registered
113 Posts
Unfortunately it will persuade them in the wrong way. The $per mile number is what it costs you to operate the vehicle. So, for example, at 10,000 miles the Treg will run @ $6600, where as the Pilot will be @ $5800. This of course includes fuel, tires, oil, etc. Make them test drive one. It will convince them.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well,
My parents do have a 1991 Honda Accord with 250000 miles (enough to go to the moon) and its been great(maintence and performance wise). When you say Hondas are dull, do you mean interior wise or performance wise? If its perfomance wise, then i have a advantage.

· Registered
133 Posts
i wasn't sure what i was going to buy and wasn't going to buy until the end of the year. one sunday i went car shopping w/ my husband and we happened upon a vw lot. i have never owned a vw before, friends have had them. i had looked into the treg online. i did not want a car, as i am a confirmed suv driver...one test drive of the treg and i was sold. i think the key to the sale is driving it. you can't resist once you've been in one, this i promise!!! good luck in your research! :wave:

· Registered
27 Posts
Safety, security, fun!

I drove ALL the competitors - the Pilot had more room but was spartan and overpriced. The MDX was difficult to find any passion for although they were closer than the Honda. The XC90 was real nice, but I didn't want the Turbo (plus they were imossible to find). BMW was overpriced to get it equipped like the Treg. Infiniti was hard to get used to the shape, and the Lexus was too much like a truck and impossibly overpriced for what you got. The Mercedes was, well, just a little dated and my wife never warmed up to it even after two test drives.

The bottom line is that my Treg is:

1 - FUN TO DRIVE
2- Built like a tank so it is almost immune to rattles, and creaks
3 - Has to be one of the SAFEST SUVs out there. (look at all the safety features - air bags, traction control, stab control, etc)

If you don't need 7 seats, dont buy it (one reason to ignore the MDX where 7 seats is the only option). We downsized from a Ford Expediton and have never looked back.

Yes, the Treg may be more expensive to maintain than some cars, but I'll stack it up any day against a Pilot or MDX or anything else when we get to 100,000 miles. I guess we'll see...

Get behind the wheel. There is no comparison. Even when compared to BMWs, Lexus and Infiniti.

My opinion after almost 4 months and 4500 miles, for what it's worth.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I took my mom to pick up a brochure, so we met with a good salesman that directed us to a base Touareg, my mom liked the looks of the car, but we didnt test drive it. As for my dad, he hates european cars and will only drive japanese cars (ironically, he hates the japanese people, no offense, i personally love them)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.