Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick Question:

I am just picking up a 2008 V8Treg from the dealer on Monday after putting on about 80,000 miles on my 04 V8Treg. I took it for a quick spin on Saturday and noticed that VW changed the Dial Faces and Needles for the Instrument Panel gauges (Speeo/Tach). Does anyone know if its possible to put the older dial faces and needles? Is this something a dealer can do? I could even use the dial faces and needles from by 2004. It seems like a small detail but I really like the jewel-like look and feel of the old dial faces/needles and new ones don't look at refined.

Would love to get any input on this or am I just crazy!!!

Thanks,
Rmad

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking more along the lines of replacing the needles and just the graphics on the dial faces (i.e. changing the dial graphics rather than the electronics).

Thoughts on that?

·
Premium Member
4,833 Posts
You certainly won't find a dealer to do that for you. The instrument cluster is an entire assembly. VW doesn't sell the parts inside. So you would have to have a second one and take both to a shop that specializes in calibrating and repairing speedometers.

·
Registered
261 Posts
By chance I was at a VW dealership this weekend and peaked in the window of the new Tregs. I know what you're saying about the guage cluster, it's as if they took a step backwards!

I love the '04 cluster, it was so advanced for it's time and looks simular to the cluster on my '07 lexus.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
I believe it is a single integrated unit...so while it looks like individual dials, that isn't the case. VDO is the usual OEM for VW.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I believe it is a single integrated unit...so while it looks like individual dials, that isn't the case. VDO is the usual OEM for VW.
I think it is as well Nick, I had mine replaced under a recall and the entire gauge cluster was replaced.

I think if he is serious about changing it, I would find a used cluster and take it to a shop to do the work. The only other problem would be if VW see's it they may question warranty claims as the cluster contains a computer that controls a number of functions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree I would have to find a shop to do the work, but what I am envisioning would not actually mess with the cluster computer. Since Treg 2 has the improved MFD cluster and is designed to work with its own wiring harness, I am thinking of how to replace the graphics overlay with the numbers as well as the guage needles (the new ones are stubbier). So, in effect, it would electromechanically be a Treg 2 cluster, with older guage overlays and the older needle swapped out. The rest of the cluster would be unchanged. I still would have to find a donor cluster, but only for the faceplates and the needles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just picked my new Treg from the dealer. The needles are fine (I thought they were stubbier but are the same as before). It's the dial faceplate that I realize is bothering me a little. The old clusters have hash marks at 1 mph increments and the new one don't. Now I wish there was a simple way to overlay the old graphics with cooler hash marks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I tried to change the overlay on an old farm truck my dad gave me about 7 years ago, mind you this is 7 years ago, but the overlay was either baked on or painted on. I could not just peel the overlay off with out bending and damaging it. for sure do some research and take it to a trusted shop because I was told by a friend who used to work at a VW dealer, that WILL void warranty work do to the seals that will have to be broken in order to get the cluster out and what not. LOOK INTO IT REALLY GOOD!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, the new instrument cluster has grown on me. I was wondering why they got rid of single MPH hash marks, but now I see why. They have an interesting feature for when you turn on cruise control it lights up a ring LEDs that are at the 5 MPH hash marks. It lights up the two LEDs in the 5 MPH zone you are in, or a single red LED is you are right on the MPH hash. i.e. light up 65 MPH LED if you are at 65 MPH set speed, or light up 65 and 70 MPH LEDs if your set speed is in between. Very nifty.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.